News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlight Bucket Rust

Started by tomonty, July 20, 2011, 09:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomonty

Hello all,

I am in the process of restoring my grille and the metal parts of my headlight buckets have some serious rust going on. I went through the Grille Restoration threads but didn't really see anyone have this issue. What is the best way of taking care of this? Can I sandblast it without causing damage to the plastic? If I drill out the rivets and remove them, does someone make replacement rivets? Thanks for the help !!

Mike

Sorry about the poor picture quality. I am definitely not a cameraman  :cheers:
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

bill440rt

Cover the plastic areas with several layers of masking tape & bead blast away...
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

tomonty

Don't know why I never thought of that. I need to remember the KISS acronym: Keep It Simple Stupid  :icon_smile_big:

Thanks for the input, Bill. Much appreciated. :cheers:

Mike
It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

tomonty

So I was working on these this weekend and while waiting for paint to dry, I was thumbing through Motorbooks International Authentic Restoration Guide for Chargers and noticed that the part numbers on my headlight buckets, #2786362 and #2786363 are actually '68's. And since I have the plastic pieces that go around the headlights that came on '68's, I am thinking that at one point in time a 68 and 69 grille was cobbled together.   :rotz:

So my question is, will these headlight buckets work on a 69 grille frame? According to the Restoration Guide there were differences between the 68's and 69's, but it doesn't go into detail.

And then my next question is that the guide states that the actuator bars are different from 68 to 69...so are these actuator bars 68's or 69's? Good times lol  :icon_smile_big: