News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 - Pulling the Steering Wheel

Started by 68neverlate, July 26, 2011, 05:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68neverlate

Need some help... I have searched through a number of threads and haven't come across one that sets out the best way to remove a steering wheel off of a '68 Charger.  The steering wheel I have does not have a horn ring... it has the round horn pad that sits right in the centre of the wheel.   

My question is how do you get the pad off without damaging it.   :hack:    Does it just pry off?  Or do you have to remove the centre medallion?    :shruggy:   If the medallion needs to come off, how do you do that without damaging it?  Any info/tips anyone could pass along would be greatly appreciated.   

Cheers,   :cheers:

1970Moparmann

Real easy.....   Put your hand on the center "horn pad" and twist it gently counter clockwise.  It will come off real easy. 

Next, you have to take off the metal cone adapter off to get to the main nut.

Good luck.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

1970Moparmann

Click this link and you'll get an idea what you do after you get the horn pad off.   

These directions are for replacing the turn signal switch.

Good luck!

http://www.martinihenry.com/temp/albums/tsreplacement/tsreplacement.html
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

68neverlate

Thanks 70 MM... I'll give that a shot.  Appreciate your response...   :yesnod:

Golfview

Hi, if you turn the pad counterclockwise it will come off.
Good luck !

68neverlate

Appreciate the answers guys... I was able to gain access to the screw connecting the top and bottom of the turn signal switch after taking off the horn pad and the metal cone adaptor (did not have to pull the steering wheel).  I cleaned everything up, put some lock-tight on the screw and put everything back together with no issues.

Thanks again for your help...

:cheers: