News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just got a 69 and need resources

Started by moparsons, October 03, 2011, 01:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparsons

I just bought a project 69 charger. It needs alot of metal work. Mainly the usual floor and trunk and quarters. It came with quarters to put on it. So.......where is the cheapest place to get the floor, dutchman panel, and trunk pan from? Also....does anyone make patch panels for the inside sail panel area?
Not inside the car...I mean facing the center of the car side.

Thanks,

Andy

Brock Lee

Look around this site.

The sail panels are made up by 2 parts..the roof skin makes the top section, the quarter makes up the lower. Typically the area by the corner of the back glass is shot. Patches are available, but if you need quarters, you are better off going with a full new quarter and new Dutchman filler panel to clean it all up.

Finn

I bought my AMD (Auto Metal Direct, they make great quality parts) fender from http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/
If you mention you're a member of dodgecharger.com you get a discount.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

moparsons

Quote from: Brock Lee on October 03, 2011, 02:24:30 PM
Look around this site.

The sail panels are made up by 2 parts..the roof skin makes the top section, the quarter makes up the lower. Typically the area by the corner of the back glass is shot. Patches are available, but if you need quarters, you are better off going with a full new quarter and new Dutchman filler panel to clean it all up.

Makes sense.....but the car already came with quarters (just not full ones) and I hate to buy whole quarters just to patch the sail panel if I don't have to.
Thanks for the replies though.

UFO

Charger specialties has a small patch for the sail panels.I can't comment on quality as I have not used them,but worth checking it out.
http://www.chargerspecialties.com/sheetmetal.htm

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: UFO on October 03, 2011, 08:14:01 PM
Charger specialties has a small patch for the sail panels.I can't comment on quality as I have not used them,but worth checking it out.

I bought some of those years ago.

Total garbage.

Throw the quarter skins in the trash and get the AMD full quarters.

Do it right.

Do it once.

moparsons

I was also wanting your guys' opinion on getting it sand blasted. I would prefer to....but the problem is I won't be able to primer the whole car any time soon.......so I don't want it to just rust all over again while I slowly tackle body work. Any suggestions?     :popcrn:

moparsons

Dino

I haven't taken a car to a sandblaster in a very long time but the place I used to go would actually blast the car, clean it in and out and cover every nook and cranny with epoxy primer to protect it from rusting while you worked on it.  Call around and see if someone can do this for you.  If not then make sure you can go from the sandblaster straight to a bodyshop so they can do this for you.  Two light coats would be just fine but you need to make sure the metal is clean before it is sprayed on.  The old stuff was/is red oxide, I'm sure you've seen it before.  You can use fillers right over it as well so not all of it has to be removed when you are prepping for paint.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Stretch

Two words! Soda Blast!  Soda won't heat warp the metal, it's environmentaly friendly, and you don't need to prime it immediatly!

Win! Win! Win! in my opinion.
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

Dino

Quote from: Stretch on October 06, 2011, 08:47:08 AM
Two words! Soda Blast!  Soda won't heat warp the metal, it's environmentaly friendly, and you don't need to prime it immediatly!

Win! Win! Win! in my opinion.

:iagree:

That's even better.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

moparsons

Hmmmmm.....might look into it. I had a guy (friend of a friend) who was gonna sand blast it for dirt cheap though.

Chargen69

Quote from: UFO on October 03, 2011, 08:14:01 PM

i have used them, they were good.

moparsons

One garbage......and one good.   :scratchchin:   I'll be able to tell more in a few days when I get the car home and investigate some more. I'll post pics for you guys as well. May get into full quarters.......just hate to spend the money if it's not necessary.

Thanks for the replies though guys  :cheers: