News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stripping Paint with Easy Off?

Started by Shakey, August 03, 2005, 09:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

I have read on this site about using Easy Off oven cleaner to strip the paint off of the grille.  Has anyone had any luck with this?  Did I need to buy the Extra Strength Easy Off?  How long should I leave it on there for?  It doesn't seem to work too well.

Any suggestions, hints or tips?

Silver R/T

did you try paint thinner on a rag?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

4402tuff4u

I not sure why you want to "strip" it. All I did was lightly sand it to cut the existing paint, make your repairs and prime it. In my opinion, I dont think you need to strip it from all the paint.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

mopar_madman

I have tried this on some interior panels that were sprayed with aerosol interior paint, came right off real fast
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

Drop Top

I agree with 4402tuff4u. But if you have already started and need to finish before moving along. Heres some tips.
Don't do it in direct sunlight. Don't let it dry. You may need to use a scrub brush to adgitate it. Oh! and do it in a well ventalated area.

mopar_madman

Quote from: Drop Top on August 04, 2005, 05:43:36 AM
I agree with 4402tuff4u. But if you have already started and need to finish before moving along. Heres some tips.
Don't do it in direct sunlight. Don't let it dry. You may need to use a scrub brush to adgitate it. Oh! and do it in a well ventalated area.

wear gloves also
1973 Dodge Charger
1968 Plymouth Road Runner
1971 Dodge Dart Swinger

cudaken

My self, I never use chemical's to strip.

1. Eat's old body filler that is still good.
2. Smell's like Chevy and like to melt stuff it get's on like tail light's.
3. Never get's every thing off!

My prefer way is with a variable speed buffer and 3 M strpping pad. Use the buffer on slow speed, makes less heat and keep it moving. Paper will last longer. 3 M pad hold's what Drop Top would call a Mug Hog disc. I like 80 grit, cut's slower but does not leave heavy marks in the metal. 40 or 24 cut's faster but more clean up after wards. I take the paint to the point I have 50% factory sealer, 30 % last layer of paint and rest bare steel. Then out comes out the DA and take to bare steel, than hit with 180 grit to get rid of any 120 marks. Hit with cat primer and time to block.

On the so called 3M stripping pad, don't have a part number but if you want more information I will find the correct name and number. It is a pad that has a 3/4 Arbor that will fit a full sizes grinder or a buffer. It takes a 8" sanding disc used mainly on as the slag goe's as a mud hog.

Main reason I like this way is if I find a repair that has not failed, I can back off and primer and block, not dig out all the melted filler and start new. My 68 Runner was bumped by dear old Mon when it was her's around 1970. Repair filler is still good in 2005! I have stipped the paint off the door but never the filler. Boy Water's Auto Body must have used some good MUD.

I used Chemical stipper on a whole car one time and that was a mistake! It was a 1966 GTO and second owner. I was in Votech school and paid my way with project car's I dragged in. Got was crazed and had been repainted one time by 1982. Asked tho owner that had it painted "has it ever been wrecked"? Answer was no!

When I hit the right 1/4 panel, mud from the tai light's to door, and the stipper ate it all up! Called the owner and said "you told me the Goat has never been wreacked, R 1/4 is nothing but filler"! I was told "that is where my son ran in to it, but it was never wrecked'! Hum, is all I can say.

Cuda Ken

I am back

Drop Top

Hi Ken glad to see you here! Thats allot of work for a grill.  :)
But I agree with you if your stripping a compleat car. I never like using stripper eather. I learned the hard way along time ago on a 70 SS Chevelle. I was 16 and I did it in my back yard under a shade tree. What a mess! I've never used stripper since. I used to strip my cars much the same way as you described also. But with a Plastic Media Blaster just down the street a mile or so. I can have it done faster, easier and cheaper for the customer. Also I can be doing something I would rather be doing wile the car is being blasted. But if for some reason I did not have access to the blaster I would strip the cars much the same way as you do.  :thumbs:
I agree the 3M Strip & Clean disk is one of the best inventions that has come around in along time! I keep a few in stock at all times. They make short order on surface rust also.

cudaken

Hey Drop Top, look's like both been there and done that. Used it on Steve's 68 Hemi Charger, Charger was cracked to hell and was so ruff I cut my fingers when I washed it.

Steve thought he would need a new hood, he was amazied that I saved it. Was pitted to hell, but nothing that Cat Primer did not fix.

You said Lot of Work For A Grill? You mean girl? In the long run she would be better off.

Funny ;D me correcting spelling. :icon_smile_approve:

Cuda Ken, Happy to be back again.
I am back

Drop Top

I meant grille not girl. He's stripping the grill on his car.  :)

BrianShaughnessy

I've seen easy off used to gently strip off some small murals / graphics / whatever and lettering.

Easy off and super fine wetsanding type paper.    It was on a black 55 Chevy racecar several years ago.   Took off the car's old name.   They used lots of gloves.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.