News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

newbie needing a little help.

Started by jeffsjag90, August 03, 2011, 08:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffsjag90

Hello all My name is Jeff. I am in Waco Texas. I just bought my first Mopar a 69 charger. It have common rust issues trunk,trunk drop-offs,light bar,valance,trunk,gutters,deckfiller panel and the right quarter. I have bought all new AMD metal. I am new to panel replacement so I have a few questions. I have trunk pan removed along with light bar valancec and valance corners. I need to know where to begin. I know I need to put trunk pan in first but what do I use to line it up correctly? Should I make it flush with rear frame support? Should I weld drop-offs on first? After I get pan and drop-offs in my plan is to screw everything together for alignment then remove right quarter,both gutters,and deck filler.Then screw all those pieces in place macking sure all is well then plug weld it all up. If anyone can give me some advice or some sort off step by step it would be greatly appreciated! I will post some pics as I get some downloaded.

b5blue

I'm no help but... WELCOME!   :wave:   (Get the photos up so we can see!  :2thumbs:)

JerseyJoe

Don't even plug the welder in until you clamp the whole thing together.
   I just finished my rear clip with mostly AMD parts, they are nice quality but anything that wasn't made for your car by Chrysler in 1969 will have to be fit and massaged.  :Twocents:

I started with lots of pics and measurements, held on to the old panels in case I needed another look at how they went together, and then started at sail panels and door edges.

... but it's not as difficult as it seems right now  :2thumbs:

Mike DC

QuoteI just finished my rear clip with mostly AMD parts, they are nice quality but anything that wasn't made for your car by Chrysler in 1969 will have to be fit and massaged.

Ask anyone who has restored a car with N.O.S. panels - it still takes lots of "massaging" to make the parts fit even if they are the real stuff from the factory.  

These cars were not built to tight tolerances like new ones.  Even if AMD made the parts perfectly they would still be going onto an imperfect old body shell.  

jeffsjag90

So should I go ahead and cut the quarter and deck filler then start? At moment I have trunk floor, light bar and valance out. I really did not take any measurements because all parts where bent.
Also I am going to rebuild door hinges and align doors before I cut quarter.
Thank you for your input!

JerseyJoe

Quote from: jeffsjag90 on August 03, 2011, 04:44:50 PM

Mike is right, these cars weren't built by robots!
I sent you some pics you asked for, post some of your pics so maybe we can get a grasp of where you are in the process. Def. line the door up first so you can get that entire body line nice and straight. :2thumbs:

Cooter

Quote from: jeffsjag90 on August 03, 2011, 04:44:50 PM
So should I go ahead and cut the quarter and deck filler then start? At moment I have trunk floor, light bar and valance out. I really did not take any measurements because all parts where bent.

I would definately brace EVERYTHING up before i went to cutting too much off the rear of the car. You wouldn't want the roof/car folding up like a wallet...

I would get the trunk floor in, then get the trunk extensions mocked up, then on to the rear support brace/tail light panel..That way you have something hoding the rear together before you cut off the quarters, and something to help align the quarters...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Patronus

Welcome out Jeff. I was in the same boat as you. You're in the right place, you'll find everything you need here. All I can say is fit it all first, I mean everything. Deck-lid, dutchmen, rear glass, bumper, everything. Especially the wheel-house(s). You can bet those will be the worst of it.  :Twocents: Oh, and as always, pics man, PICS!

"I would get the trunk floor in, then get the trunk extensions mocked up, then on to the rear support brace/tail light panel..That way you have something hoding the rear together before you cut off the quarters, and something to help align the quarters..."
:iagree: bottom up
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

jeffsjag90

Thanks guys! I will post some pics when I get them down loaded.

bill440rt

I agree with the aforementioned posters.
Grab a tape measure now & get to work with that before cutting off another piece of metal. If you're planning on rebuilding the door hinges, do that now as well before cutting off the 1/4's.

Mock up EVERYTHING before grabbing any welder. Bolt on the deck lid to check that for fitment, also.

Trunk floor, extensions, and dutchman panel should be on first. 1/4's would go on next, then the lower end caps, and finally the lower valance & rear tail light panel cap off the rear of the car.

Good luck!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

ktneifert09

First, fit it all up with clamps. Then, fit it up with screws, then you can get out the welder. Oh, and take time between fittings to just let it sink into your brain. I prolly fit mine up 5 times before I welded it up and it was worth the wait. I found a bunch of nitnoid things during each fit. And so far, haven't had to remove anything which really sucks nice it's welded. Wish I could say the same for the engine...
Plans are useless; planning is indispensible.
Especially with an old car!

jeffsjag90

How far apart should I drill plug weld holes in trunk pan? How large of a hole should I drill?

jeffsjag90

Pic of car before work began. Charger has not been on road since 1979. SE 383 4bbl A/C power steer.

jeffsjag90

Homemade sandblast booth

jeffsjag90

more pics

jeffsjag90

How far apart shouls I drill plug weld holes and what size should I drill in trunk floor?

ktneifert09

3/8 inch drill bit on about 4 inch centers. Also, don't hesitate to get at it from the bottom. A lot of times you can weld directly to the frame in about 1/2 inch beads and there's no grinding from the bottom. Do the trunk floor first, then the extensions, then the quarters. You'll cover the trunk floor with a mat so that's where to learn. Im actually going to spray mine with bed liner so it doesnt get beat up after all my hard work. Also will cover a couple lame spots. I bought a cheap spot welder from harbor freight and it was really useful on the quarters. Of course this all assumes you're building a daily driver. If not, hire it out...

green69rt

From one newbie to another.  I agree with a lot of this thread and will add this.  Clamp and sheet metal screw everything together before you touch the welder.  One place to take extra care is the trunk floor to rear valance fit.  If you don't get these right then when you start working on the valance corners the pain begins.  If the trunk floor is even a quarter of an inch to far back then this pushes the valance back at the bottom which opens up the gap between the valance corners and the quarter panels.  If you need more info just send me a PM and we can talk.   (the voice of experience!!)

ktneifert09

Finally, get psychologically prepared to have to do some shaping and even cutting and welding on you "new" parts. Remember, this isn't space flight hardware. If you screw something up you can almost always fix it and they won't fit right out of the box. Good luck. Same with me a PM is fine if you want more detail on what I did.

jeffsjag90

Thanks guys for info. I will be sending out alot of PMs soon. I got trunk pan in last friday but now the fun begins. One thing I would do different is to TIG weld pan not MIG. I have spend morw time cleaning up welds than it took to weld LOL.

jeffsjag90

jeffsjag90

jeffsjag90

tan top

hi Jeff !!  :cheers:

just seen this thread  , don't know how i missed it  :slap:

looks like you have a good project going on there  !!   looking good  , so whats the plan ?? stock type resto with factory color combo / engine  or ..... ??

keep the pictures coming ! love looking at this kind of stuff  :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html