News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Overheating problem in a bird

Started by swissmopar, July 12, 2011, 01:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

the running change applied to U code automatics only.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on August 04, 2011, 09:46:05 AM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 12, 2011, 04:30:56 PM
First - Make sure your water pump isn't the one in the bad water pump thread.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,60599.0.html

There was a factory change in the Bird production from a clutch fan to the solid fan/spacer combo to help with overheating issues.

And..... Does your car have all of its rad seals?

A number of people have asked about the correctness of solid vs fluid clutch fans on Superbirds.  Is there any documentation as to when the switch to all solid fans took place?

After Nov 5   -  After 0A167090

And Doug is correct about the automatics only.

Arnie Cunningham

Thanks all,

I was of the impression that the automatics already had the 1.60" spacer and solid fan as described in the Service Manual.  So did the U code auto birds get a torque fan first and then were switched to solid fans with the shorter spacer?  Or am I reading the Service Manual wrong.  (It is easy to confuse max cooling and high capacity as being the same.)
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

maxwellwedge

Yes - They all started with the 070 clutch.

hemi68charger

OK,, now I'm confused.... Not sure the reason's known, but why in the world would the 4bbl's get the solid conversion but not the 6bbl's and 8bbl's? They all had inherit heating problems, no?  I understand the 6 & 8 bbl's had higher rev limits...........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

maxwellwedge

E86 and E87's  ( U and V codes) with automatics got the change.

taxspeaker

For what it's worth, we also installed the MP aluminum water pump housing and found it flexed a little at temps above 175 degrees, causing the thermostat housing to spew water out. It took about 2 months to figure that out, went back to the cast iron housing, kept the aluminum high flow pump and the problem went away. We also went back to a cast thermostat housing from an after market one just in case.