News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

409053 - original owner daytona

Started by held1823, August 11, 2011, 07:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

i thought i'd bring the family daytona out of hiding and share a few photos. it is a b5/b7/440/auto car. it is not, and will not be, for sale. my parents bought the daytona new, and it saw daily driver usage until around 1977. amazingly, this is the only vintage photo showing the car that i have ever been able to find, and even then it was not the primary focus of the photo.

the nose has been awol since the 1970's. a lead-footed male owner, combined with the insurance company's dislike of high performance cars, meant it was not in the cards to have the nose replaced when the daytona rear-ended my grandparents' 1968 fury. the parents were adamant about not using fiberglass parts to replace the nose, so it has worn a regular charger front end ever since.

life somehow got in the way, and the car was more or less "out of sight, out of mind" over the years. other than moving it to their new pole barn two years ago, the car has not been outdoors since 1985, when the engine grenaded. it had sat on a car trailer, in the barn of a family friend, for over twenty years prior to the homecoming. now that the parents' interest in restoring it has picked up a little, it comes down to rounding up the funds to do so. i guess their advancing years have brought on a bit of nostalgia for the car, and it would be nice to have it finished while they are both still around to enjoy it.

after several requests over the last year or two, the buddies and i finally dragged it outside to shoot a few photos today. we dusted it off with a brush, hit the glass with some windex, and here is the end result.

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemi68charger

Cool story and vintage picture.. But, I'm sort of confused.......... Is this your parent's Daytona that's picture at the beginning?

:2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

randr

Very cool! though i would put a nose on it! even if its fiberglass! more pics!!!!
I'm Bored! what to do next......

held1823

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 11, 2011, 08:05:59 PM
Cool story and vintage picture.. But, I'm sort of confused.......... Is this your parent's Daytona that's picture at the beginning? :2thumbs:

the photos are all of the same car. the first one is from early 1970, estimating by how old my sister and i appear.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemi68charger

Quote from: held1823 on August 11, 2011, 08:17:56 PM
the photos are all of the same car. the first one is from around 1970, estimating by how old my sister and i appear.

So, are your parents going to restore it with your help?
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Awesome story!!  What was the original color of the car?  B5 with black interior?  :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

held1823

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 11, 2011, 08:23:31 PM
So, are your parents going to restore it with your help?

that is the million dollar question. hopefully, a start on restoring it could occur sooner, rather than later, but only time and the checkbook balance can tell.

Quote from: randr on August 11, 2011, 08:15:49 PM
Very cool! though i would put a nose on it! even if its fiberglass! more pics!!!

rumor has it someone is thinking of building steel noses in the near future.....

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on August 11, 2011, 08:24:52 PM
Awesome story!!  What was the original color of the car?  B5 with black interior?  :cheers:

the car was originally b5, with a b7 interior. (i went back and added that info after your question) the door panels were changed to black ones when the seats were customized in the early 1980's. the original headrests are still around, but i'm not sure if the blue panels are.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

70sixpkrt

All I can say is "WOW". Do they still have all the original paperwork?

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

DC_1

Wow, those seats remind me of a couch my Grandma once had!

Aero426

Great pictures.   Thanks for sharing.    :cheers:

nascarxx29

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: Cool story what dealer was the car from .I show 409053   302   wa
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

held1823

Quote from: 70sixpkrt on August 11, 2011, 08:55:15 PM
All I can say is "WOW". Do they still have all the original paperwork?

just the warranty booklet and broadcast sheet. the dodge dealership is long, long gone, leaving little hope of obtaining the old sales paperwork. the statement of origin must have carried the "XS29" error, as the title was re-issued at some point. the dash plate and fender tag both read "XX29" as they should. no one was aware of the VIN issue on the title itself until i happened to read about it in a magazine article way back when. the (indiana) title to the car still shows the september 1969 purchase date, but has "corrected title" printed across the top.

Quote from: Aero426 on August 11, 2011, 10:05:56 PM
Great pictures.   Thanks for sharing.    :cheers:

id like to thank you for keeping the car under the radar until the parents were ok with it being brought up. it was a pleasure meeting you at indy. dad recalls talking to your dad via phone many, many years ago, and it was ironic he remembered your dad's name when i mentioned talking to you.

i want to also extend a thank you to danny for the same courtesy, as he has known of the car for some time. it is located near where he grew up, and we have had a few conversations about the car in the recent past.

Quote from: nascarxx29 on August 11, 2011, 10:50:48 PM
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:Cool story what dealer was the car from .I show 409053   302   wa

the daytona was purchased at Farthing Sales in Rushville, Indiana, twenty miles from where it has spent its entire life. this coronet r/t, also bought new at the same dealership, was traded in on the daytona. the r/t was a pet project of the mechanics' there, and was tweaked to run like a scalded dog, according to dad's tale.

dad worked at the chrysler plant here in town, and heard through the rumor mill that chrysler was going to build the daytonas. he told the salesman of his r/t that he wanted one, and the response was "no problem, we will get it for you". (true to his word, as here the car is) dad has often stated his only regret was in assuming the daytonas would all be built one way, or this one would have been a hemi car. as it was, the car was ordered/purchased sight unseen, with no idea of how it would be optioned.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

A383Wing

cool car & story....

I noticed "lack of Charger script" on tail panel  :shruggy:

held1823

Quote from: A383Wing on August 11, 2011, 11:37:18 PM
cool car & story....

I noticed "lack of Charger script" on tail panel  :shruggy:

the charger emblem is just awol. it had one, and still has the mounting holes. while zooming in on the original photo to confirm this, i just noticed the chip in the right tail light lens. this project is getting more costly by the minute.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

sorry, i somehow duplicated a post.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

tan top

:o :coolgleamA: wow  !   good story !! awesome load of pictures !  thanks for sharing all this stuff !!   :cheers: :cheers: :drool5: :popcrn:

:2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

resq302

Looks like the car had a whole repaint at some point going by the door jambs with the striker and latch hardware being painted body color.  Also, something about the rear stripe doesn't seem right.  Can't put my finger on it yet but looks like it might be too big.  I know it is missing the "DAYTONA" word on the stripe also so maybe that is it.

Nice story thought!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Mopar John

That is GREAT! Another B5/B7 Daytona from here in INDIANA!
MJ

FJ5WING

Quote from: Mopar John on August 12, 2011, 07:26:13 AM
MJ

Thats nothing....every 6 months another green Superbird turn up.
wingless now, but still around.

hemi68charger

Quote from: FJ5WING on August 12, 2011, 07:42:12 AM
MJ

Thats nothing....every 6 months another green Superbird turn up.

Yeap, those Superbirds are a dime a dozen...  :nana:
Troy

Aero426

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 12, 2011, 07:47:21 AM
Yeap, those Superbirds are a dime a dozen...  :nana:

With all due respect to those "lowly" Superbirds, that ain't a lie.    :lol:

Interesting in that the first photo from 1970, the car is parked, headlights are already up, probably with a vacuum leak.

hemigeno

Awesome story & photos, thanks for sharing!  That's going to be a good feeling, bringing a car like that back to life after all these years.  Can the original motor be saved?  It's amazing what can be rebuilt now-a-days that used to be considered nothing but a boat anchor.

Quote from: Aero426 on August 12, 2011, 08:20:33 AM
Interesting in that the first photo from 1970, the car is parked, headlights are already up, probably with a vacuum leak.

Most of the headlight vacuum components on my car are either new or very low mile OE takeoffs (except the nosecone lines and connectors/tees), but its headlights start creeping up after about 10 minutes.  Seen a few other wing car photos from back in the day with headlights up, and those makes me feel just a little better.  I'm not looking forward to tracking down the leak.

held1823

Quote from: resq302 on August 12, 2011, 06:34:23 AM
Looks like the car had a whole repaint at some point going by the door jambs with the striker and latch hardware being painted body color.  Also, something about the rear stripe doesn't seem right.  Can't put my finger on it yet but looks like it might be too big.  I know it is missing the "DAYTONA" word on the stripe also so maybe that is it. Nice story thought!

the car has had four repaints over the years, starting with a complete one when it was a month or two old. before the car was even picked up, the dealer had done some repainting around the rear window. one day, dad happened to be at the dealership at the same time as the chrysler zone manager. when the dealership service manager informed the factory rep that a customer wanted paint issues fixed, the rep asked him what model of car. when told it was a daytona, the factory rep authorized the warranty work without even looking at the car, which was sitting outside.

at one point in the mid 1970's, the car was painted steel blue, without the stripe. the Daytona, in this color, is barely visible in this mid- 70's photo of the Torino that replaced it as the primary daily driver. the wheels on the ford might look familiar, as they were borrowed from the Daytona.

prior to the paint job found on the car now, it was also a candy apple red for a very brief time. the currently seen stripe was hand masked and spray painted on. it is nowhere near correct in its dimensions, but bear in mind, this is 30+ year old paint work done on a car that was nothing more than a typical used car at the time.

That is GREAT! Another B5/B7 Daytona from here in INDIANA!MJ

I have to wonder if showing dad the thread about your car led him to think of how this car could look again. I might have to get you to fill my email inbox up with some high resolution pictures, to keep working on him. Speaking of emailing photos, I have a handful of nice ones that i took at Indy which feature a certain beer sponsored stock car you mentioned being fond of.

Quote from: hemigeno on August 12, 2011, 09:08:48 AM
Awesome story & photos, thanks for sharing!  That's going to be a good feeling, bringing a car like that back to life after all these years.  Can the original motor be saved?  It's amazing what can be rebuilt now-a-days that used to be considered nothing but a boat anchor.

the engine was replaced twice under warranty, so this car was not numbers matching, even way back. on the second occurrence, dad says six of the eight rods made their own exit holes, just above the oil pan. if i can ever find the photo, this is the basis for an entertaining story about the car. the engine failure in 1985 saw the broken camshaft remove all of the lifter webbing above it in the warranty replacement block. the engine in the car now is from a '69 charger r/t.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

nascarxx29

Great story of this 1 owner car where you can document with pictures and 1 st accounts this daytonas living timeline history.The daytona I had from a original owner. Also told me his paint around the back window was peeling after a few weeks.

I do have that magazine need to better scan. The article was on the dressler unsold dealer owned daytona.Came with a XS on the manafactures statement of origin.Where the factory mistake would carry over to registered owners if DMV isnt aware

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

moparstuart

great car  , great story .  Thanks for sharing with us your family stories .   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE