News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

409053 - original owner daytona

Started by held1823, August 11, 2011, 07:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

You mentioned your car was titled in Sept 69.What a timeline
the 69 daytonas had to be built and delivered in order to quailfy for the innuagral race Sept 14 1969
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

68pplcharger

69_500

Ah so now I finally get to see how the car looks today. I have known about the car for quite some time, but had only a glimpse of it until now. Well unless you consider seeing it when I was a kid back in the early 80's. I will have to see if I have any pictures of it from when I was younger and when my dad was running around the same town in the R4 Daytona. I think I have some of his Daytona and the Green one that was up there in town at the same time.

I wish I had ran into you down there at the track the other weekend. Would have liked to have talked in person.

StoneCold

Quote from: held1823 on August 11, 2011, 11:29:26 PMdad has often stated his only regret was in assuming the daytonas would all be built one way, or this one would have been a hemi car.

As others have said..thanks for posting...awesome story!

Obviously history is what it is, but something rings a bell that originally all Daytonas were going to be build just with the Hemi ...no?  I know I read this somewhere in magazines back in the mid 80s.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: StoneCold on August 12, 2011, 05:17:54 PM
Quote from: held1823 on August 11, 2011, 11:29:26 PMdad has often stated his only regret was in assuming the daytonas would all be built one way, or this one would have been a hemi car.

As others have said..thanks for posting...awesome story!

Obviously history is what it is, but something rings a bell that originally all Daytonas were going to be build just with the Hemi ...no?  I know I read this somewhere in magazines back in the mid 80s.

Amazing story. :2thumbs:
You could be talking about how the dodge ads said all Charger 500's would have a Hemi, and that got changed?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

held1823

rear seat springs made life a bit tough on broadcast sheets, but at least the right one found its way back into the car

i was having a conversation with dad today, regarding the actual date the car was purchased. he has long said it was september 19th, but hasn't checked the title yet. an old registration renewal form shows it as being purchased on september 18th. this form matches the plate number seen on the car in the photos i posted, but the renewal was never sent in, due to the engine being blown. the car has not been plated since. i was surprised to notice the incorrect XS29 designation was still on the form at this point in time. perhaps when dad gets the title out, it will show the date the document were corrected to read XX29.

making the purchase date more interesting is the date on the warranty card was filled out as being September 29th. i am guessing this is the date someone filled the form out, instead of the purchase date.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

Quote from: 69_500 on August 12, 2011, 03:55:03 PM
Ah so now I finally get to see how the car looks today. I have known about the car for quite some time, but had only a glimpse of it until now. Well unless you consider seeing it when I was a kid back in the early 80's. I will have to see if I have any pictures of it from when I was younger and when my dad was running around the same town in the R4 Daytona. I think I have some of his Daytona and the Green one that was up there in town at the same time.

I wish I had ran into you down there at the track the other weekend. Would have liked to have talked in person.

i agree, danny, it would have been nice to meet and reminisce about the old days. this area has definitely seen more than its share of wing cars over the years. i imagine the presence of a chrysler plant had a lot to do with that. the green daytona you mention was bought new by phil roberts, a local barber. the roberts car came from goeke motors in noblesville. he sold the car to larry bell, who, if my memory is correct, was actually looking for a corvette pace car at the time. i believe larry would have owned it during the time frame you know of. the daytona was bell's first foray into the world of mopar muscle, but definitely not his last.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

nascarxx29

Great story awesome documentation and pictures. I had a extensive paper trail as well
The sales invoice showed final price $5155.75.As I recall it had the dealer temp paperwork when it was driven off Quaker Citys Dodge lot daytona annoucement card etc.The purchasing owner gave me all kinds of papework& copies .The reciept he couldnt find was after few weeks paint flaked off window plug area,He saved the original fanbelts and everything from this 22.000 mile car parked in 1977.

richRTSE

Great story, thanks for sharing.  Its nice that your family has held on to all these years. :2thumbs: It sure seems like quite a few Daytonas went to Indiana...

nascarxx29

Indiana got its share of wing cars :Twocents: .There was a place in Warsaw IN always had alot of wing cars for sale

held1823

Quote from: nascarxx29 on August 15, 2011, 10:51:20 AM
Indiana got its share of wing cars :Twocents: .There was a place in Warsaw IN always had alot of wing cars for sale

i think this might be starting to mix apples with oranges. are we talking new car deliveries, or reselling wing cars over the last forty years?  both topics make for good reading, but are completely different scenarios. i've been lost ever since the paperwork for 410772 joined the thread....
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

nascarxx29

The sales paperwork AKA invoice is typical of what a 1st  buyer recieved.If you car got anything similar to that given example

Mopar John

" I have to wonder if showing dad the thread about your car led him to think of how his car could look again"

I have had many comments about my story and our Daytona from that post. But if I have had any positive motivation to get an origainal owner Daytona on the road to restoration that would be one of the best!

E-mail me a couple of pictures of the #2 Keselowski Dodge at moparjohn@frontier.com when you get a chance. I will then return e-mail you some B5/B7 Daytona pictures. If you really want to get things rolling bring dad for a visit! You can't be that far away!
Mopar John

kw mopar

Great story and thanks for bringing another Daytona out of the wood work to share. It needs a nose cone even if its fiberglass. Rob.

69 DAYTONA

...I was surprised to find out your B5 Daytona was only 7 digits different then the green one I purchased from Phil

...I also had a problem with the local license branch over the XX29, the green Daytona was also registered as a XS29 and wasn't changed until I sold it to Mason in 1988

...I remember loading groceries into the trunk and back seat of your dads Daytona when I worked at Jarretts Grocery, we gave him a hard time about the "clothes line" on the back of his Dodge and one time we hung our aprons on the wing while he was shopping in the store

...I remember the Daytona from day 1 until it disappeared from the streets, I also remember it being red and primer gray...I even remember seeing it with the nose, LOL

...I recently purchased a Tor-Red 6-BBL Bird from Allen Farthing, son of Charlie Farthing in Rushville...the Bird was originally sold new in Connersville

held1823

hi larry ! nice to finally see you on here. you were dead on, about the clothes line comment. the wing was used to dry my sister's diapers more than once. i had never heard about the apron story, and will have to ask dad if he recalls it.

it is pretty cool the vin numbers were so close together, with the cars being in the same town. dad mentioned that phil actually had his car first of the two. we were in tennessee for about two weeks for my grandfather's funeral when farthing received dad's car. i guess we came through rushville late at night on the way home from tennessee, and the car had came in during that time frame. dad recalls someone else was there, begging farthing to sell it to them, when dad stopped in at the dealership the next day.

your new 'bird sounds sweet. maybe i'll catch you at the nursing home one of these days, to drool over it and the daytona, along with the other residents there. hopefully you will share some stories and photos of your wing cars, over the years. the guys (and gals) here would enjoy that to no end. take care, and look forward to seeing you sometime soon.

ernie
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69 DAYTONA

...in the early days, my wife used to hang bed spreads and blankets over the wing to let them dry after a spin in the washing machine

...my cousin just sent this pix to me a few months ago...probably around 1986-87

held1823

Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on August 23, 2011, 10:52:33 PM
...in the early days, my wife used to hang bed spreads and blankets over the wing to let them dry after a spin in the washing machine

...my cousin just sent this pix to me a few months ago...probably around 1986-87

see there, she couldn't have done the laundry with the corvette you were looking to buy way back then.

if that is your son in the one photo, i am suddenly going to feel REALLY old. i was already struggling with the idea of you selling that car so long ago. 
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69 DAYTONA

PS...30 years later, I finally purchased the '78 Vette Pace Car...

69 DAYTONA

same story here, I remember that "little kid" in your first pix too

...Tom and I at the New Castle Chrysler Plant Open House, 1983

...Tom and I at the MOPAR Nats last week, with the same Daytona

...Tom is 33 years old and is 6'5"... me, I'm just old and fat

69 DAYTONA

...when I purchased the Daytona from Phil, I was 29 years old

...paid $9K for the car and he sold it to me on a 12 month payment plan, I paid it off several months early...everyone laughed at me paying that much for a Daytona...it had 10,427 original miles, F6 4-spd

69 DAYTONA

...although I remember seeing your dads Daytona around town for many many years, my most vivid memory is of the car pulling up by the back door at Jarretts Grocery and the sound of the 440 powered exhaust as it idled, it just sounded great, like a car should sound...it was the only winged car I ever saw on the streets back then, Phil rarely drove his in the daylight (I never saw it until the day I bought it)

...your dad was super proud of his new Daytona,

...I must admit, back then, I didn't understand the appeal of the winged cars, I was a slow learner, LMAO

held1823

Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on August 23, 2011, 10:58:52 PM
PS...30 years later, I finally purchased the '78 Vette Pace Car...

lol. dad still laughs when he talks about you buying the daytona instead of a pace car. i can already see him shaking his head, when i tell him you never gave up on the 'vette.

from what i saw recently, that vette might not have been your latest trip to the dark side. do the hurst cars even allow that camaro, no matter how flashy, to hang out with them?  
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69 DAYTONA

...but, have you heard that Camaro run...HOLY CRAP ! ...it's a NICKEY Super Camaro, Stage II

...I have driven it more than all the HURST Challengers put together, and yes, they are parked side by side...I'm busy painting the floors this week in "the Home", but I hope you stop by soon when things are sorted out again, and bring your dad ! ...my Daytona and Superbird are both there

...show this pix to your dad...it is an L-82 4-spd w/600 original miles I bought a couple of months ago, still has the window sticker in the window...I have often wondered how different my life would have been had I not taken the wrong turn that day and bought Phils Daytona...it was totally an accident I bought it, I was headed to the bank to get a check for a Pace Vette in Hagerstown and took a wrong turn, ended up looking at the Daytona in Phils driveway and after a short test drive, I bought it

TiMopar

Quote from: moparstuart on August 12, 2011, 10:30:34 AM
great car  , great story .  Thanks for sharing with us your family stories .   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
+1, thanks!