News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

409053 - original owner daytona

Started by held1823, August 11, 2011, 07:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richRTSE

Welcome to the board Larry. Again, it was nice to talk to you and your family in Columbus. Your collection of cars, past and present, is amazing. If I'm ever in New Castle I'd love to come and sneek a peek at a few of them. :scope:

Rich
:cheers:

Quoteby the way, would you consider adopting a 46 year old?

Thats funny! I was thinking the same thing!  :icon_smile_big:

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: richRTSE on August 26, 2011, 08:13:43 PM
Welcome to the board Larry. Again, it was nice to talk to you and your family in Columbus. Your collection of cars, past and present, is amazing. If I'm ever in New Castle I'd love to come and sneek a peek at a few of them. :scope:

Rich
:cheers:

Quoteby the way, would you consider adopting a 46 year old?

Thats funny! I was thinking the same thing!  :icon_smile_big:

...would love to have you stop by anytime

69_500

Thats a funny picture the last time I was in New Castle broad street looks almost like that. JK. Last time I was going through there was on a friday night at about 11 pm and of course all of the kids were out cruising in their cars causing a traffic jam.

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: 69_500 on August 27, 2011, 08:45:05 PM
Thats a funny picture the last time I was in New Castle broad street looks almost like that. JK. Last time I was going through there was on a friday night at about 11 pm and of course all of the kids were out cruising in their cars causing a traffic jam.

...unfortunately, "cruising Broad" has pretty much dried up...a group of people have sponsored a cruise a few tmes in the last year or so, pretty decent turnout, but not like the old days for sure...Top Hat to Howards and back and forth,

69_500

Really I figured that was something that would not ever go away. I remember in the late 80's all of the way up to the late 90's that it would take you a good 30 minutes to make one pass and then turn around and come back you would have a good hour.

held1823

the local cruising scene was once a rite of passage for those growing up in new castle. it was common to see cars coming in from fifty miles or more away on friday and saturday nights. there were plenty of cars making the loop until the wee hours of the morning. i cant recall which issue it was in, but new castle once made the car craft magazine list of hottest cruising spots in the nation.

i ran across these photos, which were taken in the early to mid 1980's. it had totally slipped my mind that the daytona once wore keystone classics. the fc7 super bee was my first car, and spent many an evening cruising broad street.

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

i ran across this february, 1978 photo over the weekend. this is the 1969 front end that originally went on the car after the nose was lost. the wing was removed at the time, while someone was attempting to make a copy of it.

parked for the winter, the car was shuffled in and out of the one-car garage, to allow mom to park inside when snow was expected (somewhat amusing to imagine that scenario, all these years later). as luck would have it, a full-fledged blizzard hit during one of the "out" times. it was not long after this photo was taken, that the 1970 front end went on, and the car was repainted back to the blue paint that it still wears.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

held1823

how's this for progress? two years later, i have amassed the following parts for the car.

1. the front turn signal lamp assemblies.

that's it.

but -  they do have the correct color of overspray pre-installed.

i also came across these photos yesterday.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

A383Wing

I really like the "older" photos...been looking at older historic pics of Seattle area up here lately...getting lost in time

:2thumbs:

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: A383Wing on December 29, 2013, 10:53:38 PM
I really like the "older" photos...been looking at older historic pics of Seattle area up here lately...getting lost in time

...I can't believe it has been 2 1/2 years since this thread was started

held1823

Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on December 30, 2013, 04:05:41 AM

i hope to finish the car by its 100th birthday, so i have to pace myself. that, or have you hire me for a second job  :'(
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

tan top

awesome pictures , love looking & reading about this back in the day stuff , thanks for sharing  :cheers: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

Quote from: held1823 on December 29, 2013, 10:37:37 PM
how's this for progress? two years later, i have amassed the following parts for the car.

1. the front turn signal lamp assemblies.

that's it.

but -  they do have the correct color of overspray pre-installed.

i also came across these photos yesterday.
Glad to help move this fellow Indiana / B5 project forward!
MJ

moparstuart

Quote from: held1823 on December 30, 2013, 04:33:17 AM
Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on December 30, 2013, 04:05:41 AM

i hope to finish the car by its 100th birthday, so i have to pace myself. that, or have you hire me for a second job  :'(
just give me the car i got all the parts   :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ECS

Quote from: held1823 on December 30, 2013, 04:33:17 AM

Those nostalgia pictures are fantastic!  Thanks for posting them and for sharing a bit of your Family's past.   :2thumbs:
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

500Jon

Hi Ernie,

What a fantastic story, mant thanx for the link!
Real Mopar folks with a historic Wing-car as well!
I think its quite common for the 'XS not XX' title error.
My 69 500 has the same problem LoL! :2thumbs:
The Vin tag, dash tag are correct, block incorrect too???
I've never worked at a car factory but I've worked on production lines though.
The mind numbing repetition always causes errors.
Same must go for office workers looking at endless documents with letters and numbers! :shruggy:
XS,XS,XS,XS,XX,XS,XS,XS,XX,XS,XS,SX,SEX???

OOPS :popcrn:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

held1823

Dad passed away on October 17th, so mom is left in what I imagine is pretty rare company as a female original owner. The car still sits as it did when this thread began, which sucks since I had sold my toy collection this summer in hopes of getting the car up and running for Dad to enjoy driving it once again.

With both of my daughters in college, any restoration work is still on hold for a few more years, but I am now dedicated to having this car at the next talladega reunion in four years. For now, it is serving time as a lumber rack/ storage shelf. Fear not, the wood doubles as a protective cover for a rare piece of glass.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

birdsandbees

Looks like the way my Superbee was stored for some time... before I talked my father out of it in 1979. Hopefully life moves on and the kids can help you get it ready for Talladega 2019!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

wingcarenvy

Sorry to hear about your Dad. No matter when you get it up and running your Dad will be there riding shotgun in spirit.

hemi68charger

Quote from: wingcarenvy on November 04, 2015, 09:07:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your Dad. No matter when you get it up and running your Dad will be there riding shotgun in spirit.

:iagree:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Aero426

Quote from: wingcarenvy on November 04, 2015, 09:07:39 PM

Sometimes, that is how it works. 

odcics2

Quote from: tan top on October 30, 2015, 07:33:09 PM
sorry to hear about your Dad .

Me too.   

My parents, wifes parents, aunts and uncles are all gone...    :'(
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

held1823

finally got something to mount those valiant turn signals into ...

still a lot more to gather, though
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

Quote from: held1823 on May 31, 2018, 10:17:59 PM
finally got something to mount those valiant turn signals into ...

still a lot more to gather, though
looks familiar    :popcrn:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE