News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aero Cars at Monster Mopar?

Started by Troy, August 14, 2011, 09:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brcharger

Quote from: Aero426 on August 25, 2011, 09:52:34 PM
Here's a photo of John's car from 1978 at Milwaukee.

Really nice pic !

I am starting to collect these pics.
Is this OK ?
I guess so.
If not, please let me know.

Cheers

pettybird

we're parked next to it...dumb black scoops give it away  :lol:

69_500

There was quite a few things that after I got home that day that I had wished I had taken pictures of. I guess we spent too much time taking measurements and photo's of the jack though. I get to looking at a few things and forget all of the other area's I wanna see.

Kismgby

My flight is booked.  I've got friends ready to help get the 'tona out of the garage.  I've got the hotel squared away,  Yup, it'll probably be my last event, so I'm going out with a bang!  Can't wait to catch up with old friends.

69_500

Does that mean that you'll just be simply leaving the Daytona here in my garage after the show? :)  :cheers:

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on September 01, 2011, 08:24:21 PM
Does that mean that you'll just be simply leaving the Daytona here in my garage after the show? :)  :cheers:
:icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

I just spoke with Jim Campbell a few minutes ago, and as of this week he and most of the regular crew that ran the St. Louis version of Monster Mopar will be running the show at its new Indianapolis venue.  While the new promoter may have indeed been capable of organizing a great show, Jim C. and Mick are already well-schooled... after all, they have 27 years of experience with MMW alone.  Mick had previously committed to running the Swap and Car Corral areas, but Jim was only recently brought (back) on board.

It's good to hear there will be some continuity in place.  I'm still up in the air about coming, but will feel just a bit more comfortable knowing Jim & Co. are in charge.

At last word, there were around 200 pre-registered entries, which is down for what you'd expect at this stage.  There are usually a whole lot of folks who show up at the gate, so I do think they'll have a full show field (maybe a little too full??) when all is said and done.

69_500

I don't think that if they have 500+ cars show up they will be "too full" on the show field out there. I have been to plenty of shows over the years out there with more than 900+ cars for an event it wasn't that crowded. Depending on what area of the place they are using for "show" area that is.

Gene you gotta come so I can  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: over that car.

Kismgby

Well I didn't preregister because I wasn't sure about lodging.  So I'm a "plus one" to the show field.  :yesnod: And as for my car staying in Indy....I'm hoping it DOESN'T go back to Chicago and finds a new daddy to take care of her.   :(  Though it'll be sad.
Or maybe I get a fresh face to move into the garage?   :drive:

moparstuart

Aero426

Quote from: moparstuart on September 08, 2011, 11:07:38 AM
gateway looks to reopen  ?  :shruggy:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/motor-sports/article_bc37b8d0-be43-5b30-8668-f8cc8c18edc0.html

If this does happen, it is something better than I expected.   At least the drag strip will be in operation.   

The one year deal will be a referendum on the facility.    If you want to see racing at Gateway,  buy a ticket to the NHRA event.    If the fans do not turn out, watch for it to go dormant again.   

nvrbdn

we did the nhra each year, did quite a few wednesday nights,and a few of the weekend runs. plus monster mopar ofcourse. the drags always held up their end. it was the circle that didnt. :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Aero426

Quote from: nvrbdn on September 08, 2011, 12:10:19 PM
we did the nhra each year, did quite a few wednesday nights,and a few of the weekend runs. plus monster mopar ofcourse. the drags always held up their end. it was the circle that didnt. :yesnod:

It may be easier for them to break even without having to pay the sanctioning fees to NASCAR or Indy Car.     NASCAR won't be back for a long time, if ever.   

My main point was, this is a one shot deal for you guys.   We have the same situation here in Milwaukee with the oval.  Oldest track in the country, over 100 years old.    After two years dormant, we had an outside promotor hold an Indy Car race in June, and it drew 13,000 people.   They are not coming back.    In our situation, we're done.    The local public was apathetic.

41husk

Hopefully if it comes back Jim Campbell will start another version of monster mopar (the name MMW has been sold) maybe Central mopars or Mega Mopar :shruggy: Maybe with jim working with Josh this year the two can team up and bring Monster Mopar back to StLouis :cheers: Time will tell.  I am not a big race fan but if they come back I will buy tickets and go to try to keep them up and running!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

nvrbdn

Quote from: Aero426 on September 08, 2011, 12:37:19 PM
Quote from: nvrbdn on September 08, 2011, 12:10:19 PM

It may be easier for them to break even without having to pay the sanctioning fees to NASCAR or Indy Car.     NASCAR won't be back for a long time, if ever.   

My main point was, this is a one shot deal for you guys.   We have the same situation here in Milwaukee with the oval.  Oldest track in the country, over 100 years old.    After two years dormant, we had an outside promotor hold an Indy Car race in June, and it drew 13,000 people.   They are not coming back.    In our situation, we're done.    The local public was apathetic.

man sorry to hear that for you guys.and you are right. we need to support it to make it happen. there was a group trying to push a new track at wentsville that fell through so this is our last shot. hopefully the people will back it. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

69_500

How many of you guys exactly are going to be there? There should be (if all goes well in the next week and a half) designated parking for the AERO cars at the show. They want to try to get all the Winged cars together in one area. They are asking for an estimate on how many cars we will all have there. They said it should not be any problem if it is between 30-50 cars.

Kismgby

:2thumbs:  Wonderful time at the show.  Knew I hadn't taken my car out in awhile when I squeezed the key to open the door.   ::) It was GREAT to see everyone.  I love you guys.  The track laps were a hoot and hanging out with John Pappas and his MCG bud Tim Costello on Saturday will be a treasured memory for some time.   :drive:  Hope he remembers that what happens at Monster STAYS at Monster...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2253995242658.119909.1631635583&l=47d273869e&type=1

Until we meet again....

JoA

moparstuart

Quote from: Kismgby on September 25, 2011, 08:49:54 AM
:2thumbs:  Wonderful time at the show.  Knew I hadn't taken my car out in awhile when I squeezed the key to open the door.   ::) It was GREAT to see everyone.  I love you guys.  The track laps were a hoot and hanging out with John Pappas and his MCG bud Tim Costello on Saturday will be a treasured memory for some time.   :drive:  Hope he remembers that what happens at Monster STAYS at Monster...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2253995242658.119909.1631635583&l=47d273869e&type=1

Until we meet again....

JoA

thanks for sharing   :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

TheAutoArchaeologist

Uploading 500 pics right now.  Sorry I missed you JoAnn. I had no idea the weather was going to be so bad.  Let me know where I can drop the stuff off for you.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Lets just say, it was a good weekend!

Having some issues uploading, but some are up on my flickr.  The rest will be up tomorrow.

www.flickr.com/hemipwr70

Dave Kanofsky

Thanks for sharing Ryan!  We had a blast with Joe's '70 Runner convertible.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

moparstuart

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on September 26, 2011, 07:58:34 PM
Thanks for sharing Ryan!  We had a blast with Joe's '70 Runner convertible.

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Kismgby on September 25, 2011, 08:49:54 AM

Until we meet again....

JoA

Thanks for all the pictures on your facebook album JoAnne.....  I know Danny was tickled pink in seeing you and the 'Tona..

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

Had a blast doing the laps on Saturday. It was just so darn tempting to floor it everytime we came out of a corner going down the straightaways.