News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Project - Blue One - update

Started by Daytona Guy, August 22, 2011, 08:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

This cone has hours upon hours in it - to reinforce (instead of a unibody this is a unicone) the cone so that it supports itself. In these pics only one bolt is holding this cone on and look at the fit. My design will use only four bolts to hold it on – and in 5 minutes I can have the whole cone off the car. I used Z brackets once, and never again. With all due respect to those that use them, I think they are a joke of engineering.

The fitment is a modern fit idea with as little of a seam as possible. All I will need to do is go over it with a fine tooth comb for detail –then I move on to the hood, doors, trunk, quarters, then rear window. Should be done by early spring.

To be continued...

randr

Wow! That thing fits like a glove! Very cool! Can we see mounting system?
I'm Bored! what to do next......

DC_1

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

randr

I'm Bored! what to do next......

A383Wing

wow....about all I can say at this time

Patronus

That looks great! Thanks for posting. Yes, let's see some more!!!
:popcrn:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Daytona Guy

The mounting system is so simple you will all laugh. The trick is reinforcing the nose. I re-glass most of the inside - with ribs and some stringers. The weakest part of the glass nose is under the top mounting ridge (it will sag and crack if it is not reinforced) - I re-glass up to a half an inch so it can support 25% of the stress/weight. Then you all know the ridge that the 70 front fenders have right under the rubber bumper seal.  I build up the cone (top fender sides and down the side of the cone-inside) so it literally fits like a glove and rests secure (75% of the load) on that 70 fender front ridge. This also keeps the nose from shifting to the right or the left.

I add glass under and above the front grill so I can sink the grill down so the grill surface is flush (after you add the metal screen. This also makes the nose that much more stout.

Keep in mind not having the weight of the Z brackets and I-beam rail helps too. My nose will weigh about 35 lbs including my aluminum headlight flip up door system. My front end is at least 150 lbs lighter than a 70 Charger (no I beam frame bracket). When I am done I have to torque my front end down because it sits higher because it weighs that much less. As they say - every 100  lbs lighter = adds 10 HP.

The bottom is like any other Daytona nose and fastens to the lower valance - that is reinforced from the top L (iron) bracket that the top of the nose is bolted to. The L mounting bracket is bolted to the top fenders on each side in front of the hood adjustment. This bracket also adds strength to the front fenders and keeps them from flexing in the front past the radiator support.

Like I said, 4 bolts and the nose is off the car. This has been tested at speeds in excess of 120 MPH including hitting a dear head on.  

Dane

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BigBlockSam

looks good  :cheers: it does change the look of the front of the car . i'm looking forward seeing the car done . should be interesting  :scratchchin:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

CornDogsCharger

One word.... "BEAUTIFUL!!"

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

djcarguy

sure looks great without the big gap and rubber seals.neat mounting and shaving off pounds and all that z bracket and interal air tunnel stuff. hope to see it someday.  dj in oregon

Dave Kanofsky

You are the master!  That looks fantastic.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Daytona Guy

Quote from: djcarguy on August 24, 2011, 05:48:37 AM
sure looks great without the big gap and rubber seals.neat mounting and shaving off pounds and all that z bracket and interal air tunnel stuff. hope to see it someday.  dj in oregon

Where at in OR? And thanks for the comps

Lighthorseman

Wow - What a beautiful job!  Do you think this would also work for a Superbird nosecone? 

djcarguy

Quote from: Daytona Guy on August 24, 2011, 11:53:53 PM
Quote from: djcarguy on August 24, 2011, 05:48:37 AM

Where at in OR? And thanks for the comps
springfeild area. iam the guy with the dart topless,dartona dream. i pm ed ya before bout a wing and cost?? for now iam building my own frame and glass wing and hope to order a stinger nose this fall. really like your mounting and shave off pounds. your yellow one is so great and pretty and really stands out .love the cars with personal touches,colors and wheels and stance.all the best on this build...whats this no.10????later dj

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Lighthorseman on August 25, 2011, 02:10:03 PM
Wow - What a beautiful job!  Do you think this would also work for a Superbird nosecone? 
Would be ideal for a bird because they spent more time and made the bird nose fit better. 

djcarguy

2 daytona's  :drool5: is what i got to see tonite.was out to see cars at brooks auto parts and wow ,there was a yellow daytona. i went back and it was daytona guy at welby's car shop in springfeild.wow this car is awsome in pictures and outstanding in person,beautiful car.
     talked to afew other guys there and then went in to see the project daytona that welbys shop is going to restore.   now that make 3 daytona's i;ve seen in like ten years. saw about 25 mopars today and one of the best friday nite in years.    ok time for a chill pill,thanks had to share or burst.thanks and nice meeting you dane.dj

Daytona Guy

Quote from: djcarguy on August 27, 2011, 02:04:10 AM
     2 daytona's  :drool5: is what i got to see tonite.was out to see cars at brooks auto parts and wow ,there was a yellow daytona. i went back and it was daytona guy at welby's car shop in springfeild.wow this car is awsome in pictures and outstanding in person,beautiful car.
     talked to afew other guys there and then went in to see the project daytona that welbys shop is going to restore.   now that make 3 daytona's i;ve seen in like ten years. saw about 25 mopars today and one of the best friday nite in years.    ok time for a chill pill,thanks had to share or burst.thanks and nice meeting you dane.dj
You too - nice to meet you. Thanks for the complements.

Dane

dads_69

Dane, another wing car for you in the works, congrats! I sure the build I had started years ago, oh well...maybe someday again I'll have another. If we drive down next summer, hopefully we can meet up as well, I'd love to see your cars/projects.

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

200MPH

looks good Dane could we see the mounting system?
Charger

Daytona Guy

Most of the body work is done. The last thing I do before the plug is the trunk. This car is amazing, hardly any rust. The trunck was slightly pitted and came out great. After I shoot this blue the plug goes in. I finish the trunk completely because after the plug is in there is no way to paint it unless you have super loooong arms.  :yesnod:

I can't wait to start on the plug. Shooting for the end of Oct. By Nov. the car should be ready to shoot blue.

Anyone notice anything different?

A383Wing

yea...the second pic is a lot more fuzzy than the first one

Bryan

Daytona Guy

Quote from: A383Wing on October 18, 2011, 09:53:12 PM
yea...the second pic is a lot more fuzzy than the first one

Bryan

[/quote] Ha ha - Yeah, my iphone does not do well in low light. hate that...