News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Black 500 red stripe-int to repaint or not

Started by XS29LA47V21, August 23, 2011, 09:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29LA47V21

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,77912.50.html

So I re-read this old post again.  My intent when buying was clearly down the path of "survivor" or near survivor with a repaint for the old holy grail and not restore.  I have got it running with limited efforts on a short initial run (no exhaust to speak of and no radiator connection, short run time) seems to run pretty good for crusty  :2thumbs: 

So now that some of my car buds local have indicated some similar thoughts of not painting as here on thread dealy has now got me straddling the fence a little.  I do believe the back end of the car reflects original creative repainted areas, but some of the front has clearly been painted (I suspect back in the 1970s in Calif).  It has more dents then ebay photos indicated, apparently from Hurricane Andrew in S. FLA 1992.  For what is worth, I am no less happy with the car :icon_smile_big:.  At best I am looking towards repaint and other limited grooming with NOS or nice original pcs.  I have tried a local miracle dent puller on two modern cars with big dents from tree storm damage and one of my other chargers he spent half a day making it better sorta, but then looked worked.  It seems like two options repaint outside or leave it as is? 

So do you think I should repaint or not. 

moparstuart

if you are for sure its not original paint  , its a no brainer go ahead and fix all the dents and do an outside repaint . Warning these thing seem to snow ball and turn into a full on restoration .   :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

Don't they though...

IF all of your trim AND all of your chrome AND all of your seals and gaskets AND all of your glass AND all of your emblems AND your grille AND your lights and lenses are in fantastic shape, then you'll be in cheap.

Putting anything more than used take-off or new parts against fresh paint looks terrible.  It's amazing what you think would be OK now that you'll end up sighing, shaking your head and replacing. 

What started out as a $6000-7000 paint refresh on the B5 car has nearly quadrupled in price, and there are still some little things the car needs.

mauve66

i got confused (again, i know i know), the link is for a 4spd car being sold but the pics end up being of an automatic car, and i'm guessing that you actually bought it at the end of the auctioin???
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

XS29LA47V21

:smilielol: :smilielol:   That's unlikely (the resto).  age and some loss of middle age brain cells still computes the math to build others in a lifetime and kids college someday.  However, it is likely you and I meet next week in El Darado and you scope my crusty rare beater, then maybe you will figure I am not "the norm" towards perfect cars which may or may not be real.  Besides negotiations any deeper with the wife this yr for a second car being painted and after buying this car is unlikely.  If the F8 500 sells that would help (mainly with my relationship management and timing).
:popcrn:
By the shear number of dents and what I see as some front clip repaint on top earlier layer of black paint leads me towards the idea of an outside paint on my car.   I have seen two other aero cars that I understood had a panel or two repainted but still presented as survivor.  I guess part of the question does include is a survivor all factory paint only with no repainted areas at all?  Avoiding the name throwing here, but for example if a 500 closer to you then me was repainted, I would think that would be sad because it is such a beautiful example of an original and it has a repaint to a full 1/4 as I recall.  Can someone post photos of original paint lines from creative ind work areas, that would be interesting.

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: mauve66 on August 23, 2011, 12:21:33 PM
i got confused (again, i know i know), the link is for a 4spd car being sold but the pics end up being of an automatic car, and i'm guessing that you actually bought it at the end of the auctioin???

Couple of those topics bounce some on black 500s, the one I bought was this one out of FLA, Factory Blk, red int, red stripe, 440 auto and stack of options.  I was appearant low bidder as they say.

mauve66

only original once as they say, of course the itch to have it "perfect" is simply overpowering sometimes.............
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

C500

I would keep it as it is. The job will just grow and grow, and as soon as it's painted, you'll worry about every little scratch. As said above, only original once.

BTW, the color combo is superb  :drool5:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

moparstuart

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on August 23, 2011, 01:08:37 PM
:smilielol: :smilielol:   That's unlikely (the resto).  age and some loss of middle age brain cells still computes the math to build others in a lifetime and kids college someday.  However, it is likely you and I meet next week in El Darado and you scope my crusty rare beater, then maybe you will figure I am not "the norm" towards perfect cars which may or may not be real.  Besides negotiations any deeper with the wife this yr for a second car being painted and after buying this car is unlikely.  If the F8 500 sells that would help (mainly with my relationship management and timing).
:popcrn:
By the shear number of dents and what I see as some front clip repaint on top earlier layer of black paint leads me towards the idea of an outside paint on my car.   I have seen two other aero cars that I understood had a panel or two repainted but still presented as survivor.  I guess part of the question does include is a survivor all factory paint only with no repainted areas at all?  Avoiding the name throwing here, but for example if a 500 closer to you then me was repainted, I would think that would be sad because it is such a beautiful example of an original and it has a repaint to a full 1/4 as I recall.  Can someone post photos of original paint lines from creative ind work areas, that would be interesting.
i know we talked on the phone will be nice to meet u in person   :2thumbs:  but really i wanna see the car   :smilielol:

moparstuart

Quote from: Kiwi68 on August 23, 2011, 02:13:56 PM
I would keep it as it is. The job will just grow and grow, and as soon as it's painted, you'll worry about every little scratch. As said above, only original once.

wow you would know for sure    about them snow balling   :yesnod: :yesnod:

C500

Quote from: moparstuart on August 23, 2011, 02:23:06 PM
Quote from: Kiwi68 on August 23, 2011, 02:13:56 PM

wow you would know for sure    about them snow balling   :yesnod: :yesnod:

aint that the truth!  :yesnod:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

pettybird

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on August 23, 2011, 01:08:37 PM
:smilielol: :smilielol:   That's unlikely (the resto).

If you'd said the same thing to us two years ago we would have agreed.  Funny how you don't see how big the snowball becomes before it rolls over you!

maxwellwedge

All "clean-ups" turn into snowballs.....they sure do for me anyway. But that's ok 

XS29LA47V21

Dunk I still think you need my green one so you can have twins, one real nice, then build mine as a driver, you would confuse people for years. :smilielol: :smilielol:
  :lol:  :smilielol:

I would forcast I will be driving before I think much about the outside, if at all, but was interested in hearing some thoughts (two open cans is plenty.) 

moparstuart

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on August 23, 2011, 04:28:47 PM
Dunk I still think you need my green one so you can have twins, one real nice, then build mine as a driver, you would confuse people for years. :smilielol: :smilielol:

I would forcast I will be driving before I think much about the outside, if at all, but was interested in hearing some thoughts (two open cans is plenty.) 

no really you need a red one to have the trifecta    :icon_smile_big:

C500

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on August 23, 2011, 04:28:47 PM

I would happily have two, one step at a time though  ;)

Red would also be nice, very christmassy pair. I would just need the white Hemi 500 off ebay for a nice little set  :lol:

RallyeMike

Maybe I'm just jaded, but I don't get much of a thrill when it comes to restored cars anymore like I do when I get to look at an original. We exchanged notes on this when you first told me your plans and I had picked up my 69 500. I think its exceptionally interesting as-is. When restored, its just another restored car (although with very cool options and color).

I still vote to have a decent shop massage dents, yes - they will still be noticeable, but they will be better. Then carefully clean it, and drive it without a care in the world.

Additionally, I think the best strategy from an investment standpoint is to NOT restore it.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Patronus

Quote from: pettybird on August 23, 2011, 12:17:00 PM
Don't they though...

IF all of your trim AND all of your chrome AND all of your seals and gaskets AND all of your glass AND all of your emblems AND your grille AND your lights and lenses are in fantastic shape, then you'll be in cheap.

Putting anything more than used take-off or new parts against fresh paint looks terrible.  It's amazing what you think would be OK now that you'll end up sighing, shaking your head and replacing. 

What started out as a $6000-7000 paint refresh on the B5 car has nearly quadrupled in price, and there are still some little things the car needs.

I couldn't have said it any better. Once you start painting, nothing on the outside of that car, nothing, will be acceptable but new.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

tan top

like  whats been mentioned above !!  its going to snowball   , unrestored cars are awesome !!  only original once & all that  :yesnod: :drool5:   ,  if that car was mine i would have a difficult time deciding what to do !! but  , like  i just mentioned only original once  :drool5: ,    prolly going to get flamed now , think if you have the spare cash & X amount  time  , i would restore it  ,  it wont stop at a  exterior paint job !! no offence !   it will look like a hlpeg ( sort of  )  car  every thing else will look junk with just fresh paint  sorry to say :Twocents:
 document the car take  thousands of pictures of every thing &  video  :yesnod:  , then  restore it    could do a paint job & interior  but !! your still running original wiring  , etc etc brakes !! baljoints /bushings etcetc   , either way its going to snow ball :yesnod:    
 give it a nut & bolt resto if  & when  time & funds   allow  :Twocents:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

gtx6970

If it looks good overall in real laife likes it does in the picture.
leave it, drive it , enjoy it

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: RallyeMike on August 23, 2011, 08:30:32 PM
Maybe I'm just jaded, but I don't get much of a thrill when it comes to restored cars anymore like I do when I get to look at an original. We exchanged notes on this when you first told me your plans and I had picked up my 69 500. I think its exceptionally interesting as-is. When restored, its just another restored car (although with very cool options and color).

I still vote to have a decent shop massage dents, yes - they will still be noticeable, but they will be better. Then carefully clean it, and drive it without a care in the world.

Additionally, I think the best strategy from an investment standpoint is to NOT restore it. (sure, if the white Hemi 500 on the market the last several years is nice and obtainable, I am Shirley not cutting this one up to resto)
Thanks all, you are right and I agree.  It is a difficult and near impossible line to draw down the path of improving an original car and Pandora's box, Mike.. yes we might be jaded on this topic, I seen tons of very nice cars over the years, that is partly why I bought this car and gathered that triple black RTSE above as beater, the RTSE maybe rougher then most like, but you do not see crusty cars much anymore, especially rare ones and you cannot argue or wonder how much is what it is.  For what it is worth, I am still on the path of my purchase on this one and unlikely to change much anytime soon other than making it reliably drive first.  I do have two other cans opened/snowballs and have no intention of a third.  To clarify some details of the car and No offence to seller, the ebay photos showed some stuff and a shiny buffed out original car, the additional photos provided by the seller prior to end of auction/purchase showed a rougher car then ebay photos (indicated to me anyway) or at least better details to help me buy the car.  The local dent guy here I would put up to guys nationally on new cars, just a miracle worker, but not so much on the old thick metal.  Does someone out there specialize on the old thicker metal dent repairs? 

:smilielol: Xmas that is a great idea too, very festive and family oriented.  I am in that stack also who really likes that white hemi 500, it would look great with my black and white thing....... 

Could someone post some original paint Daytona or 500 pics if they have some, I would love to see some.

nascarxx29

Could someone post some original paint Daytona or 500 pics if they have some, I would love to see some

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,75939.msg852588/topicseen.html#msg852588
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

FJ5WING

Quote from: moparstuart on August 23, 2011, 09:45:32 AM
  . Warning these thing seem to snow ball and turn into a full on restoration .   :smilielol: :smilielol:

Ask me how I know!
What started as a motor rebuild....

as exploaded into the "full boogie"!
wingless now, but still around.

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: nascarxx29 on August 24, 2011, 10:39:31 AM

Could someone post some original paint Daytona or 500 pics if they have some, I would love to see some

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,75939.msg852588/topicseen.html#msg852588

Thanks, ooh dats cool reading dar....send me more if you know some off hand.  I am interested in knowing where Creative Ind. painted areas ended typically, I suspect full roof and somewhere behind the door or below the sail panel-mid 1/4.  Clearly so few original paint exist or known, that is sad to me, my B5 RT is factory orig paint & I have enough cans opens, thanks for the support, I will stay the coarse of no paint (for at least the foreseeable future).

69_500

Of all of the 500's I have seen I can count on both my hands the ones that are still wearing their original paint. My vote goes for leaving the car the way it is now and enjoying it. Get it road worthy but leave the exterior alone. I would rather look at the car the way it is than once it is restored but I think I'm an odd ball.

I've probably seen about 150 500's over the years and I can only think of 9 that were still in their original paint when I saw them. Well that I know were still in their original paint. Others there are a few questions about.