News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best Dixie horn

Started by 70rr 69ch, September 01, 2011, 12:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70rr 69ch

Hi guys which is the best Dixie horn?wolo or fiamm and are the new ones the same as in the 70tys.I got Bo's signature next step is the horn don't want to buy wrong one and be disappointed thanks :cheers:

Magnumcharger

Hmmmm....you ARE a grown up...right? ::)

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Magnumcharger on September 01, 2011, 05:29:19 AM
Hmmmm....you ARE a grown up...right? ::)

I would assume so since he owns a Charger & remembers the Dukes like most of us do....what does that have to do with his original question?  :scratchchin:

Anyhoo to the OP, personally I have no idea which is the better one....Im sure some of the GL guys will chime in..  :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

68pplcharger

I'm putting one or the other on my 68 and it's purple. car is close enough to 69 got to have the Dixie horn.

Magnumcharger

NOTHING...and I mean NOTHING is more annoying than being at a car show and having some retard pull in and blast away with a Dixie Horn!
It's right up there with the infernal "AHOOOGAH" horn on Model Ts, or the "CA COOKA ROCHA" horn on a low rider Chevy.

Sure...people will look...the same way they look at traffic accidents as they drive by.

Is that what you want?

To be a spectacle?

1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Hudson Hornet !

Okay pal, listen up.  First of all, if you are going to slam someone on this thread for asking a question, at least learn to spell what you are trying to say it's " "La Cucaracha" not whatever you posted. As far as someone wanting that horn, it's their damn right. Yeah, I own a General and I also have the horn, and I for one am sick and tired of all the people who moan about these cars- when it's your sweat and time building the car, and when your name is on the title you can change anything you want. Until then Shut your mouth!

( and yes, my car is a general, but it is also fresh off the
rotisserie and is a fine car)

As far as the question, the best Dixie horns I have heard come from a company called Stebel which I believe is an English company. The WOLO and other brands just cannot compare to the Stebel in my opinion.
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

68coronetGLwannabe

Quote from: Magnumcharger on September 01, 2011, 06:43:38 AM
NOTHING...and I mean NOTHING is more annoying than being at a car show and having some retard pull in and blast away with a Dixie Horn!
It's right up there with the infernal "AHOOOGAH" horn on Model Ts, or the "CA COOKA ROCHA" horn on a low rider Chevy.

Sure...people will look...the same way they look at traffic accidents as they drive by.

Is that what you want?

To be a spectacle?

I'm a Retard! I get asked several times a night at show to play the Dixie Horns. I don't do it every time, but I will a few times. Then I usually go get my retarded awards and see all those retarded smiling faces (Adult and Children) enjoy the General as much as I do. Then I see the faces of the guys who are mad because my Orange Piece of crap 01 replica race car turd with a Dixie horn won again! So with that said I am Retarded and proud of it.  :silly:

Now back to the original question. I have the Fiamm horns and they seem to just fine. Be careful what set you buy because there is a set out there that only plays 11 notes when it should be 12 notes
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

skip68

Wolo is in my car.  It sounds good.
I'm a retard tu cuz I gots a generul Lee.   
:slap:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

mopar0166

WOLO is a crowd pleaser! everyone loves it, and its tuned in great to the sound and speed

moparstuart

Quote from: Magnumcharger on September 01, 2011, 06:43:38 AM

Is that what you want?

To be a spectacle?

I must be one of those annoying people , I hit my BEEP BEEP  every where i go .  :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

Quote from: skip68 on September 01, 2011, 08:57:39 AM
Wolo is in my car.  It sounds good.
I'm a retard tu cuz I gots a generul Lee.   
:slap:

you were retarded before , so the general has nothing to do with it .  :nana: :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Dino

Seems to me that whenever I hear a dixie horn it's not nearly as nice as whatever they used in the show.  It's always slower, kinda sounds like it's running on low batteries!

What did they use in the show?  I know that the producers paid a lot of money to buy some guy's horn when they heard it, only to find out they sold them cheap in the local parts store.  Being a tv show I can imagine they did not use a horn at all but some prerecorded sound effect coming out of a keyboard.

Just hook up one of those flash card mp3 readers to your radio and have dixie play through your speakers when you hit play.  :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Neal_J

Wolo is the one.

To get it running right & fast, lube the compressor, keep the hoses short and use heavy-gauge wire.

Neal J.,

Fellow retard with a Dixie horn...

CNH 320

Quote from: Dino on September 01, 2011, 11:33:55 AM
Seems to me that whenever I hear a dixie horn it's not nearly as nice as whatever they used in the show.  It's always slower, kinda sounds like it's running on low batteries!

On the series, the horn was dubbed in. If you want a nice Dixie horn, go out and try to find the 70's Jubilee horn.

JT01

Quote from: Neal_J on September 01, 2011, 11:40:23 AM
Wolo is the one.

To get it running right & fast, lube the compressor, keep the hoses short and use heavy-gauge wire.

Neal J.,

Fellow retard with a Dixie horn...
Exactly makes it place faster and sounds like it does on the show.

Mike DC

Yeah, what CHN-320 said. 

The TV series horn sound was dubbed into place during editing.  It was a guy playing a trumpet, not a recording of any of the mechanical horns.

The first few episodes actually used a mechanical horn that they bought off some teenagers in Georgia. 

Daytona R/T SE

I've got a Wolo.

New in the box, sitting on the front seat of my "other" '69 project...

I'm just another retard... :eek2:

41husk

I better get a horn, cuz Im a retard as well and don't even have a dixie horn :brickwall:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

MoparManJim

If you want the best Dixie horn around, start looking at flea markets for Jubilee Dixie horn then. That make is OOP but is the closes to the correct sound. 

70rr 69ch

Thanks for most of the comments,I am a grown up but just looking at my charger makes me feel like a kid again.I have a 70 runner with a beep horn that took me 8 years to restore in my two car garage 440 4speed lime light. Same thing with that car half the folks I meet say they love it,half ask how I could paint a car that color.I didn't build it to please others,I guess I'm not afraid to be me.just a good old retarded boy. :2thumbs:

UH60L

Quote from: CNH 320 on September 01, 2011, 12:00:07 PM

On the series, the horn was dubbed in. If you want a nice Dixie horn, go out and try to find the 70's Jubilee horn.

Not sure where you got that info.  I specifically read an article in which the people associated with making the show said, as well as watched them repeat on video, that they didn't have the horn at first, and some kid was driving by and hit his horn, a dixie horn, and they figured they had to have it for the show.  They flagged him down and bought the horn right there and then he told them you could by them via JC Whitney.  While some shots may have had the horn dubbed in, many had the actual horn in the car and many or most of the cars used had a dixie horn isntalled, according to several interviews with the producers and actors.  (not that those interviews couldn't be wrong, I'm just repeating wht they said...)

Also, during a specialty car show a few years back, I spoke with James Best and Sonny Shroyer and both were of the opinion that the horn was used in the majority of the episodes.

JC Whitney sells, or at least used to, two different versions, an 11 note and a 12 note, both by Wolo.  The 12 note is the correct one, the same one the producers bought off that kid.

Another thing that makes a difference, is your electrical system.  Before restoring my car, when idling, the horn would play very slowly, and speed up if I tapped the gas pedal.  (my headlights used to dim at stop lights too!)

bill440rt

This question is MUCH better suited for another forum dedicated to the General Lee.  
If you haven't done so, please ask here:

http://www.cglfc.com/

There's lots of good info there, anything you would want to know about the GL can be found there.

BTW, I am a certified retard just based on principal. I have a handheld Dixie horn, does that count? :eek2: :eek2:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MoparManJim

Quote from: UH60L on September 01, 2011, 09:22:29 PM
Quote from: CNH 320 on September 01, 2011, 12:00:07 PM

Not sure where you got that info.  I specifically read an article in which the people associated with making the show said, as well as watched them repeat on video, that they didn't have the horn at first, and some kid was driving by and hit his horn, a dixie horn, and they figured they had to have it for the show.  They flagged him down and bought the horn right there and then he told them you could by them via JC Whitney.  While some shots may have had the horn dubbed in, many had the actual horn in the car and many or most of the cars used had a dixie horn isntalled, according to several interviews with the producers and actors.  (not that those interviews couldn't be wrong, I'm just repeating wht they said...)

Also, during a specialty car show a few years back, I spoke with James Best and Sonny Shroyer and both were of the opinion that the horn was used in the majority of the episodes.

JC Whitney sells, or at least used to, two different versions, an 11 note and a 12 note, both by Wolo.  The 12 note is the correct one, the same one the producers bought off that kid.

Another thing that makes a difference, is your electrical system.  Before restoring my car, when idling, the horn would play very slowly, and speed up if I tapped the gas pedal.  (my headlights used to dim at stop lights too!)

Sir, you are most incorrect with your info about alot of the cars having the Dixie horns in them.

All of the cars almost didn't have the horn in them period. It was only a dubbed in sound effect to make it sound like the car had them. Only the one Lee that was used in GA had the horn installed into it. Your info about how they got the horn is correct. Paul Picard was on the set for the first time when the car drove by and sounded the Dixie horn off. Paul Picard and a few of the people jumped in a car and took off after the car that sounded the horn as they wanted that horn for in the General Lee. But when they went back to CA the cars was all stock cars and the horn sound effect was edited into the episodes. They mounted the horn on a board and played it a few times to get the sound effect for in the clips where the car would have the horn being played at. To get the correct 12 note horn from JCWhitney's go into the musical air blast horns and look for the Dixie horn one in that part. The other Dixie horn plays only 11 notes not the 12 notes.

Plus to make the horn louder, it depends on the wire size combo as well to make the horns sound different.

My cousin has my Dixie horn right now in his vehicle, but my horn is modified so that when you tap the horn button, the horn will play to the last note and stop on it's own without having anyone hold the horn button down. this means I could walk up and hit the horn button and walk away from the vehicle as the horn starts to play and then after the last note it will stop itself from playing. 

70rr 69ch

Thanks for the link,I'll check it out.I really don't understand the hostility over the general it probably turn on more people to mopar then anything else.the show taught values and principles and the whole family could watch,try finding that today. :angel:

70rr 69ch

How did you do the mod?sounds like the way to go