News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A 69 Dodge Daytona on a Farm

Started by TheAutoArchaeologist, September 02, 2011, 04:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAutoArchaeologist

Well, guess what.  Here it is, a 1969 Dodge Daytona, one owner car.  Sitting basically since 1974.

www.carsinbarns.blogspot.com

I thought you guys might enjoy the story.

Ryan

DC_1

They'll never restore it..... I just hope someone comes along and offers enough to take it off their hands and save it before it get too far gone and ends up nothing but a VIN tag on a new body

StoneCold

What is a realistic price for something like that?  Obviously quite weathered....lots of rot having sat outside in the grass forever.

held1823

Quote from: Sydmoe on September 02, 2011, 04:20:57 PM
They'll never restore it..... I just hope someone comes along and offers enough to take it off there hands and save it before it get too far gone and ends up nothing but a VIN tag on a new body

i have the exact opposite "hope", that being people realize that it's not always about the money. it can only be a one-owner car once, and having owned it for 40+ years, it's a safe bet they are not concerned with losing money on their "investment".
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

StoneCold

Quote from: Sydmoe on September 02, 2011, 04:20:57 PM
ends up nothing but a VIN tag on a new body

After having read the story closer, it will undoubtedly end up like that. They move the car around wherever they go and some day they may be able to restore it. Looks at the surroundings....they won't be able to afford to restore it  ;)

tan top

:o  ....... :faint:  aww man  what a find  :drool5:   :drool5:  
good write up & pictures Ryan !! awesome stuff  :yesnod: :2thumbs:

un usual  heater hose bracket :scratchchin: 
:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RallyeMike

I hope that's some good "stuff" in the garage displacing the Daytona, but it's probably boxes of old clothes and junk as is typical. Good to see it's alive. Maybe it will be a future project for someone here? 
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

65post

Those kind of people are all the same.They will keep it and do nothing with it until they die and after that the car is dust.... No good to anyone....Well maybe to the guy who will rebody it...
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

Marck

I love reading your stories, Devil..  :2thumbs:

41husk

That makes me sad :'( or god sake cover it up and try to preserve it at least a little.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

TheAutoArchaeologist

I might get a cover for the car.  Just to slow the degredation.

64dartgt

Quote from: Devil on September 03, 2011, 04:07:33 PM
I might get a cover for the car.  Just to slow the degredation.

Looks like your too late.  Just about every body panel is lunch already.

DonC1

I'm of the opinion that if these people hadn't of kept the car all these years it would have been crashed or crushed long ago. So who cares if they never restore it...at least they're keeping it. Obviously they have some kind of  'attachment ' to it...just like the rest of us with our cars.

hemi68charger

Quote from: DonC1 on September 03, 2011, 05:06:39 PM
I'm of the opinion that if these people hadn't of kept the car all these years it would have been crashed or crushed long ago. So who cares if they never restore it...at least they're keeping it. Obviously they have some kind of  'attachment ' to it...just like the rest of us with our cars.

Very true.... At least mother nature works slower than a crusher... As the Borg say, "Resistance is futile"......... Still the same end......... Such a priced attachment deserves a cover..

Hopefully it'll get a cover or off to the resto. shop........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Kismgby

Ah....always a pleasure to look at a car that makes mine look all the nicer.   :icon_smile_big:

TheAutoArchaeologist

I'm going to do my best to save this car.  It is too cool and valuable to let it just sit and rot away when I can do something. 

Also wanna try something, see if the owner is up for it.  Do something like Hot Rod did 2 months ago with the "barn find buick" article.

RECHRGD

Quote from: Devil on September 06, 2011, 09:17:25 AM
I'm going to do my best to save this car.  It is too cool and valuable to let it just sit and rot away when I can do something. 

Also wanna try something, see if the owner is up for it.  Do something like Hot Rod did 2 months ago with the "barn find buick" article.

I hope your successful Devil....  That car deserves a better fate than what it seems to be destined for.
13.53 @ 105.32

Charger_Dart

68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

64dartgt

Maybe Mopar Muscle will get in on the barn find idea.

TheAutoArchaeologist

They have their barn find section at the back of the magazine.  But they don't pay for those stories, they are donated free... kinda like what I do on my blog.  More then likely it will appear in a issue of MCG... but ya never know.

Ryan

70Sbird

Ryan,
Not doubting their story, but just how does filling the gas tank with water (apparent vandalism) equate to filling the cylinders with water?
Also if parked in 1974, the outline radial tires must have been added years later "just to move it around".  :shruggy:
As always, with these cars the story sometimes does not add up to the observed state of the car.
Congrats on a great find though, too bad it's rotting away
We'll have to check out that "other " red one soon

Scott Faulkner

TheAutoArchaeologist

Eh, could be.  They might have had the year off by a few.  It was 30 years ago. 

And with the engines, I used the term hydrolocking.  I'm not quite sure what went on, but spraying water down the cylinders caused something to happen that bent some push rods.

So fun stuff, lets hope the damage isn't as bad as they say.

nascarxx29

I cant see enough water getting into the daytona cylinders from carb accelerator pump.My friend has a 69 HO old with the mailbox box hood scoop .Water gets in and around the scoop directly into carb it labors to crank over .I remove the spark plugs and crank to water stops coming out :Twocents:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

TheAutoArchaeologist

I hope to get out there the first weekend in October again.  I have a line on a car bubble we might be able to put it in.

moparstuart

Quote from: Devil on September 14, 2011, 09:56:39 AM
I hope to get out there the first weekend in October again.  I have a line on a car bubble we might be able to put it in.
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE