News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A 69 Dodge Daytona on a Farm

Started by TheAutoArchaeologist, September 02, 2011, 04:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

500Jon

I liked yuor Charger/Daytona as it was Greg, all rusty and narlly! :2thumbs:
I would have painted it with flat lacquer and drove it LOL!!! :rofl:

Herein lies the problem methinks.
A race Daytona has many bodies and guises in its life.
Real Daytona's have to stay original in every detail or they are seen as frauds...

Once someone answers the age old question, 'How much originality is needed from the ORIGINAL car', then we are OK with all cars being reborn!
You can have all the bolt on parts and a bad bodyshell, but if you reshell its a fraud, even with all the correct original Daytona parts.
As we know, there are no specific Daytona bodyshells, just a 69 charger body with Daytona parts added!

I see a day when all 503 Daytona's will live again, they existed once, so I believe they can be Re-created... :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

RallyeMike

Well that's a bummer. Hopefully they conclude that the best tribute is to get the car into the hands of someone who will save it.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

JB400

Charger_Fan

Oh man! After all these years, I hope his kids could appreciate their Dad's stubbornness, but also see the car as deserving not to die with him...but to be a phoenix that may be great again. Certainly, if they sold it with the stipulation that once restored, they are allowed a ride no, to DRIVE the car that held their father's heart for so much of his adult life.

Too sappy? Woops.
Sorry guys, been hittin' the sauce a bit tonight. :cheers: :smilielol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

ksquared

Quote from: Charger_Fan on February 10, 2016, 10:35:25 PM
Oh man! After all these years, I hope his kids could appreciate their Dad's stubbornness, but also see the car as deserving not to die with him...but to be a phoenix that may be great again.

Too sappy? Woops.

I started wondering, they have the "Save The Whales" and "Save The Sea Lions" and many other great causes, and on the other hand, the story that inspired me to post here, they've even got a fund to bail a rich millionaire who squandered all his money out of debt:   https://www.gofundme.com/kanyesmedicis

So instead of throwing money away on a guy like that, would it be possible to go to these people with an offer not to buy it but to help them, with people in the area maybe being willing to donate their labor and others donating money or parts either reduced or at a break-even price, with a respectable person to oversee the fund and match whatever these people spend (so they will appreciate it) and cut the price of at least getting the car preserved in half?

I see this on the other thread too about the "Staged Barn Find Daytona" and how it won't pay for the new owner to restore it, he paid way too much for it, but yet he's criticized for wanting to just preserve it as is.  The difference of course is that man is a doctor and has the funds so he doesn't need any help, but it just seems wrong to criticize him and call him foolish and diminish his enthusiasm for the car.

If there was some dedicated group, as there are with other causes, there would be more of these cars out there and being restored, as opposed to the brutal economics such that maybe the one group who wants to restore/preserve the car can't afford it and the car turns to rust dust, and others who can afford to restore the car don't want to because as has been pointed out, they paid too much or he'll be "upside down" if he pays to restore it, but yet if he did it himself it would be essentially wasted anyway because it wouldn't be good enough for a car of this standing.

wingcarenvy

Quote from: ksquared on February 18, 2016, 02:02:56 PM
Quote from: Charger_Fan on February 10, 2016, 10:35:25 PM
Oh man! After all these years, I hope his kids could appreciate their Dad's stubbornness, but also see the car as deserving not to die with him...but to be a phoenix that may be great again.

Too sappy? Woops.

I started wondering, they have the "Save The Whales" and "Save The Sea Lions" and many other great causes, and on the other hand, the story that inspired me to post here, they've even got a fund to bail a rich millionaire who squandered all his money out of debt:   https://www.gofundme.com/kanyesmedicis

So instead of throwing money away on a guy like that, would it be possible to go to these people with an offer not to buy it but to help them, with people in the area maybe being willing to donate their labor and others donating money or parts either reduced or at a break-even price, with a respectable person to oversee the fund and match whatever these people spend (so they will appreciate it) and cut the price of at least getting the car preserved in half?

I see this on the other thread too about the "Staged Barn Find Daytona" and how it won't pay for the new owner to restore it, he paid way too much for it, but yet he's criticized for wanting to just preserve it as is.  The difference of course is that man is a doctor and has the funds so he doesn't need any help, but it just seems wrong to criticize him and call him foolish and diminish his enthusiasm for the car.

If there was some dedicated group, as there are with other causes, there would be more of these cars out there and being restored, as opposed to the brutal economics such that maybe the one group who wants to restore/preserve the car can't afford it and the car turns to rust dust, and others who can afford to restore the car don't want to because as has been pointed out, they paid too much or he'll be "upside down" if he pays to restore it, but yet if he did it himself it would be essentially wasted anyway because it wouldn't be good enough for a car of this standing.

I don't think anyone called the Dr. foolish, but more no one gets his logic. This Daytona will continue to sit out in the elements until it is unrestorable. What good is that? Its really sad that the owner passed away. I wish people like that would accept a little help and at least get it road worthy so that it can be enjoyed again by the guy who has owned it for decades. There is a 69 Roadrunner 383 4 speed car with 50K original miles on it the next street over. Fortunatley its in the garage where it has been since it was new. Its really in good shape but the original owner took the motor apart to restore the car. It doesnt need restoring its in good condition and with a little love it could be an amazing car for the world to see. Well, that owner passed away tragically one night without warning. His car still sits 15 years later. I have reached out to the family to reassemble the motor and make the car roadworthy. FREE of charge, all they need to do is buy maybe $1,000 in parts to get all the systems up to snuff. They refuse politely and say that the son is going to restore it. So I stop by and talk with him once a year or so. He has no job and no knowledge of what the car is (he thinks its a Roadrunner SS with a 390). Its frustrating but at least its inside. This kid has lots of good memories of this Roadrunner but hasn't put one ounce of effort to get to know it. I truly get the setiment of merely just owning a historic car like this and the enjoyment it brings, but it should be mixed with enthusiasm anough to take care of it and leaving it outside to rot isn't going to cut it.

TheAutoArchaeologist

Sorry about not responding sooner.  Been a bit of a crazy time lately.

I agree, something has to be done.  The price on the fake Barn Find Daytona ruins it for many people.  Cause now they think the car is worth crazy money, and it isn't.  NOT saying that it was for sale.

But hopefully we're going to put it in a pole barn they have on the property this year.  They have been cleaning the place up, you can see by the pictures that many of the junk cars and implements are gone now.

I did a video of the car, take a look.  But WATCH OUT, there is an ogre in the video.

https://youtu.be/VbZrej1xNrs

Enjoy!

Ryan

ws23rt

:2thumbs:---The up side from it not being a "barn find" is it can sprout every spring. :cheers:

If this car rots to the roof because an owner is stubborn it has it's place in the history of these cars like the ones that sit in warehouses.
It's a different way of them passing.

The ones that can be dusted off from better storage will just last longer. :shruggy:

RallyeMike

QuoteI did a video of the car, take a look.  But WATCH OUT, there is an ogre in the video.

:scared:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

tan top

:coolgleamA:  :2thumbs: ,

I know everyone is different & its their car etc  , every time I see this daytona !  I just still cant believe how some owners let their cars sit out side in the elements , content to let them rot , its just  insane  :Twocents: .

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

Quote from: tan top on April 09, 2016, 12:06:11 PM

I know everyone is different & its their car etc  , every time I see this daytona !  I just still cant believe how some owners let their cars sit out side in the elements , content to let them rot , its just  insane  :Twocents: .

I have the same feeling when I see pictures of this Daytona.
What could be trapped in that garage that was worth more than the Daytona when it was first parked there?
MJ

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: Mopar John on April 09, 2016, 12:47:36 PM

What could be trapped in that garage that was worth more than the Daytona when it was first parked there?
MJ

The Garage directly behind it is actually collapsing.  That's why they pulled it out of the garage something like 10 years ago, so the place wouldn't come down on it.....

why they didn't put it in the pole barn behind the building.  I don't know.

Aero426

Quote from: Devil on April 09, 2016, 02:27:52 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on April 09, 2016, 12:47:36 PM

MJ

The Garage directly behind it is actually collapsing.  That's why they pulled it out of the garage something like 10 years ago, so the place wouldn't come down on it.....

why they didn't put it in the pole barn behind the building.  I don't know.

The "collapsing garage" is still standing for how many years now after you first met the owners?  The last photos of the inside just showed it was piled full of worthless crap.     Don't forget it was parked in front of a perfectly good garage in 1991.   People tried to talk sense to them back then - unsuccessfully.

I hope you are able to convince them to get it under cover. 

held1823

i need some front end parts, so i'm good with them parting it out....

(that is mostly a joke)
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

Quote from: held1823 on April 10, 2016, 01:20:32 PM
i need some front end parts, so i'm good with them parting it out....

(that is mostly a joke)
1/4 th share  ? :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE