News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Date Codes on Glass

Started by 69_500, August 31, 2011, 08:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Got an question for your guys. After having a few discussions about the date codes on the glass at various shows it got me to thinking. The only glass I have a lot of photo's of is the rear glass on 500's and Daytona's, but I have started collecting quite a few of front windshields, door windows, and vent windows and side glass.

It got me to thinking though.

Of all of you guys who have either 500's or Daytona's does anyone have a rear glass that does not have a date stamp on it? IE has the "P" but no small letters beside it? I was just going through my photo's and I noticed 2 different cars that did not have any date code on the rear glass and oddly enough both are unrestored cars and it is the original glass in both cars. Does anyone else have a glass that is missing the date stamp?

And what is the different dates on the rear glass that you guys have seen. On 500's I have seen quite a few that are 68G, 88G, 98G. Then on Daytona's i have seen 19G, 49G, 69G. Oddly enough saw one that was a 49M. But after looking at a few other picture of that same glass I think its a repo but not positive on that one.

69_500

And yes I'll admit it I'm weird for even wondering about the date codes on glass I know. I had to put that up here because my wife is just standing here shaking her head at me. She thinks that I am the only person in the world who would even wonder about something like this.

Davtona

Quote from: 69_500 on August 31, 2011, 09:04:43 PM
I had to put that up here because my wife is just standing here shaking her head at me. She thinks that I am the only person in the world who would even wonder about something like this.

Been there done that.  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Davtona

Ok seriously now Danny. My Daytona's date is 69G

3--Daytona

Hang in there Danny-Boy,,,,,glass date codes must be important, because we discused it at Indy.

We also discussed ,how many Daytona's still have original tinted glass all way around?

nascarxx29

Ive seen daytonas with tinted windshield.But dont recall seeing the glass all the way around being tinted on a daytona :Twocents:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemigeno

Quote from: Davtona on August 31, 2011, 09:53:09 PM
Ok seriously now Danny. My Daytona's date is 69G

Chalk up two more back glasses with 69G...

Also, there are 20 cars with confirmed G11 (all tinted glass except at the rear) codes logged so far through my informal database.  Not terribly common, but there are a few that probably still have their original side glass.  Having an original tinted windshield is likely to be less common due to rock chips or windshield wiper wear marks, etc.  For whatever reason, they made a lot of cars with tinted windshields.

Years ago Beth gave up trying to understand my fascination with wing cars, and I'm sure there has been a lot of similar head-shaking at me too.

69_500

Here is a shot of one of the ones with a 98G date code. I posted the wrong picture last night to the caption i made so now I've corrected the caption to go with the photo.

nascarxx29

My daytona showed 696 in that corner :Twocents:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

What is your guys opinions on the solid pentastar logo and the dotted one as far as the side glass and vent window glass is concerned. I have seen some both ways but can't say for certain which ones have been replaced and which ones are original.

maxwellwedge

Probably a vendor and/or a date thing. I don't think I ever found a code on any of mine....I have 3 and a spare to re-check.

I remember looking very hard on one of them with no visual.

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on September 04, 2011, 08:44:49 AM
Probably a vendor and/or a date thing. I don't think I ever found a code on any of mine....I have 3 and a spare to re-check.

I remember looking very hard on one of them with no visual.

Is DiscoTona the one you looked at without finding a code?  :scratchchin:  I went through the photos taken of Doc & Disco, and there were three shots in the lower right corner of the back glass in Disco's folder with no visible etching (they are just blurry enough to make you wonder if there was an etching I unsuccessfully attempted to capture). My photo-taking skills are anything but exemplary.

Here's the good shot from DocTona (the Jan '69 glass date jives with the late June ship date of the car):

maxwellwedge

Good call Geno! You know more about my cars than I do!

I think it was Disco that I could not find a date on.....I'll look again.

Now - What did I have for dinner?    :lol:

hemigeno

I wouldn't remember what I had for dinner either, unless I took a picture and catalogued it on my hard drive 

:rotz:

Mopar John

Danny,
Sorry about my long delay in responding to this post! I have all the glass info for you from my R4 Daytona and B5 Daytona to follow.
First the R4 Daytona which I beleive has all it's original glass!
FRONT WINDSHIELD has D/D logo and is dated 49 with dotted lines making up the pentastar
                                 C/D
DRIVERS VENT GLASS has PPG logo dated 59 with solid pentastar
DRIVERS DOOR GLASS has P logo dated 39 with dotted lines making up the pentastar
DRIVERS QUARTER GLASS has PPG logo dated 59 with solid pentastar
REAR BACK GLASS has P logo dated 69 with a G after and dotted lines making up the pentastar
PASSENGERS VENT GLASS has PPG logo dated 39 with solid pentastar
PASSENGERS DOOR GLASS has P logo dated 49 with dotted lines making up the pentastar
PASSENGERS QUARTER GLASS has PPG logo dated 59 with solid paentastar

Second is the B5 Daytona which has had 2 pieces replaced!
FRONT WINDSHIELD has D/D logo and is dated 49 with dotted lines making up the pentastar*
                                 C/D
The above piece was changed during restoration and is an exact ECS replacement using original date code and logo!
DRIVERS VENT GLASS has PPG logo dated 59 with solid pentastar
DRIVERS DOOR GLASS has PPG logo dated 39 with solid pentastar*
*The above piece was changed during restoration!
DRIVERS QUARTER GLASS has PPG logo dated 69 with solid pentastar
REAR BACK GLASS has P logo dated 69 with a G after and dotted lines making up the pentastar
PASSENGERS VENT GLASS has PPG logo dated 39 with solid pentastar
PASSENGERS DOOR GLASS has PPG logo dated 59 with solid pentastar
PASSENGERS QUARTER GLASS has PPG logo dated 59 with solid pentastar

Now for some observations and comments:
All the glass on both Daytonas has a date range of 39 earliest to 69 latest for JUNE 6th and 9th build dates!
All the P logo has dotted lines and all the PPG logo has solid lines making up the pentastar!
The door glass and passengers vent glass have the older date codes!
I have been told the the P logo was a second PPG plant?
I also have been told the P logo was a smaller secondary supplier named Pilkington?
In general I look at the drivers door glass first when checking out a nice Daytona! I assume most windshields have been changed out from rock chips, wiper marks or chaulking of the edges. So I look at the drivers door glass either for felt line scratches or wrong date codes.
Also back in the day many vent windows were broken due to easy theft or lost keys and breaking the smallest glass!
About 12 years ago I cleaned up all my extra glass and wrote the date codes on them with a paint stick. I also noted any defects like scratches, chips or DA sander marks and then wrapped each one in newspaper to help protect each piece. The pile has gone down rapidly helping people put the right glass back in their Mopars!

Thanks for sharing this small detail with others!
Mopar John

maxwellwedge

Doc - 19  as Geno posted

Boat  -  19

Disco  -  Need to look again

Spare rear  -  Need to unwrap and check