News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My one owner Daytona story.

Started by DaytonaJim, September 03, 2011, 04:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djcarguy

;) :yesnod:   Awesum car ,i'll wish you luck and all the best for you and your daytona. seems to me you are already a very luck man to own that great car all these years. and your Daytona is one of the luckest car to be shipped to a dry state and be owned by a lucky guy,to save and keep it all these decades.  awesum car and total love the mags and tire combo that fills the fender wells.  the chome grill and black chin add alot and standout great and break up all one color nose..               great car and take care of each other.thanks for showing it to us .i was 10 in 69 and still was in awe when we saw new daytonas at litha dodge in medford,or.bye

hemigeno

Quote from: DaytonaJim on September 04, 2011, 03:07:39 PM
Yes the car was in MCG 10 or so years ago. Can you give me more info on the Salesmen show note?  My window sticker has a No. 514-BX-926378. Did all Daytonas have this note? Thanks a bunch. Jim Gehrke

Jim,

From what we can piece together, Chrysler shipped several Daytonas to various "Sales Shows" prior to their arrival at an actual dealership.  It looks like yours was one of those cars.  Van Ness Dodge may have ordered the car, and Chrysler either asked to borrow or simply commandeered the car for use in the Sales Show - then shipped it on to the dealership at the conclusion of the show.  Did you make a copy of the MSO?  I'd be interested to see if it was shown as transferred to Van Ness or to "ABC Automotive".  From the list of late '60s Dodge dealerships (by State) I printed off a while back, there was no ABC Automotive shown for San Francisco or anywhere else in California.  They were probably just hired to receive and take care of the car while at the show, after which it went on to Van Ness Dodge (which IS on the list).  Since the window sticker says what it does, Chrysler was apparently rather deliberate in planning out the car's side trip to the Sales Show.  This was not an afterthought on anyone's part.

I am NOT surprised at the black chin spoiler on your car.  Mine is R4 red, black interior and black stripe -- and its chin spoiler was originally black too (actually, a textured/organisol black).  I've had more than a few folks question my sanity for putting it back the way we found it.  There are at least two other black stripe & black spoiler examples out there, and I have the spoiler from one of them sitting in my shop... it's currently on loan to help convince any naysayers.  The chrome grille/frame was probably something done by the dealer (or for the show) to spruce it up.  My car's original selling dealer painted the fender scoops black on both of the Daytonas they had while waiting for the cars to sell.

As for the discrepancy between the VON's, 926325 is a legit VON assigned to another car, 414650 which is a Canadian-shipped Daytona that has been discussed on this board before...  Linky  The 926378 reference from your window sticker is correct as indicated elsewhere, and for what it's worth, 514 BX 926378 was not a Daytona-specific reference.  Something similar was put on all Chrysler-built vehicles' window stickers... it's a combination of the Scheduled Production Date, Final Assembly Plant, Model Designator, and the Vehicle (a/k/a Special) Order Number.

:cheers:

moparstuart

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5:  great car and story  thanks for sharing   :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopurr

Quote from: DaytonaJim on September 04, 2011, 02:25:10 PM
Hi Sherri, Are you the one I talked to about the grills on our cars? We then talked to  Galan G. about our cars having chrome grills and having the same build date? I remember he didn't want to say any Daytonas came with chrome grills or satin black chin spoilers. He said he considered it "non-stock" or not original. Oh well. I got my car with 36 miles on it and it came with the chrome grill and black spoiler. I have the window sticker from my car and it has a note on it saying "NEW CAR INVENTORY FOR USE IN THE SALESMEN SHOW TO BE SOLD AS NEW AT THE CONCLUTION OF THE SHOW". Did Dodge boll the car up a little for some show? Here's a pic of the front of the car. Thanks Jim

Yes, we have the sister car and it was so great to meet you in 99, that was our first wing meet.  Since that time I have found out the story of our chrome grill and more history of our car......I will send it to you in a personal message on here.

A few yrs ago we also bumped into another sister car that shimmied down the line shortly in front of ours.....it is a white/red 440 4  spd car.

We have wondered about you since you were not at the 04 or 09 Talladega meets and are so glad to re-establish contact with you again now.

Sherri

nascarxx29

Thanks Jim for your cars story and info about it .Any underhood detail pictures etc.Anything you care to share purchase paperwork window sticker fender tag.Be great reference material .That 1970 brought it home picture what was on the rear license plate besides DODGE in big letters.Was that the dealer paper temporary plate
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

DaytonaJim

Quote from: nascarxx29 on September 05, 2011, 10:39:37 AM
Thanks Jim for your cars story and info about it .Any underhood detail pictures etc.Anything you care to share purchase paperwork window sticker fender tag.Be great reference material .That 1970 brought it home picture what was on the rear license plate besides DODGE in big letters.Was that the dealer paper temporary plate
Yes that is the dealer paper plate. Above DODGE it says JIM KRESS DODGE, Later today I'll post the window sticker, underhood pic etc. The broadcast sheet that came in my car is for Daytona XX29L9B386543. The car is in Canada and the owner has a photo copy of the sheet. Jim
1969 Charger Daytona
1971 Challenger Convertible
1957 Chrysler New Yorker 2 dr ht
1957 Chrysler Windsor 2 dr ht
1941 Plymouth Business Coupe

nascarxx29

Thanks for the info and current pictures and info I was searching newpaper achives for Van Ness Dodge.This doesnt pertain to your car but rather the dealer I researched.Sometimes you can find past employees/salesman
http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/493/269/4614/
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?p=53054
Unrelated to your car but I had info 386543 Y2 SE If current owner hasnt seen this before.Maybe your broadcast sheet will surface

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

daytona71

Great story. I remember following you on the track at Talladega in 99, love the license plate.

nelson_audet

wow verry nice you have it since it was new... it is verry coooooool
impatient to see more pic! i love vintage pic:)
69 Charger RT 440 4 SPD 4.10 Dana car B5 blue

r4daytona

You are one of a handful that are original owners! I'm jealous! Great that you have all that documentation to go with it.  I double the previous offer of twice the original price!  So how many miles are on it now??

Chryco Psycho

I am sure I have seen that car in Person somewhere , Carlisle or the Mats is Vegas

pettybird