News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No turning back from here.

Started by Ryan, September 17, 2011, 08:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Domino

Yup, that's what I had going on as well. Check out the red triangle I drew, that's what you need to add after cutting a slice.

Ryan

Quote from: Domino on January 31, 2012, 08:32:03 PM
Yup, that's what I had going on as well. Check out the red triangle I drew, that's what you need to add after cutting a slice.

Yep that pic makes perfect sence.

Question.
From the rear crossmember to the trunk extensions was your mounting flange even? The flange on my trunk extensions is lower then the rear crossmember and I  having a hell of a time getting it to go up.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Domino

If I recall, I had a similar issue with that as well. With the ext clamped to the trunk pan, I clamped a straight edge to set the ext floor level and flush with the trunk pan, then wrapped the flap around to mate with the rear crossmember. That caused some misalignment. I had to trim the ext floor and rework the top of the fold over to mate that area.

Ryan

Quote from: Domino on January 31, 2012, 09:36:25 PM
If I recall, I had a similar issue with that as well. With the ext clamped to the trunk pan, I clamped a straight edge to set the ext floor level and flush with the trunk pan, then wrapped the flap around to mate with the rear crossmember. That caused some misalignment. I had to trim the ext floor and rework the top of the fold over to mate that area.

When you say you had to trim the ext. floor do you mean the area under the fold over?

2014 viper TA

Ryan

You know the more I look at it and compare my original corners to the AMD ones I think it's the quarter panel that needs to be sliced and not the corner extension. Need to look at my other charger some more tomorrow and take some measurements and compare to my original quarters that are still sitting on the side of the house.

2014 viper TA

Domino

Quote from: Ryan on January 31, 2012, 10:25:30 PM

When you say you had to trim the ext. floor do you mean the area under the fold over?

Yeah, a snip-tuck under that flap was needed.

As far as adding a section to the qtr, that's certainly another way to do it.  
I did not have a decent stock qtr to really inspect, but I looked at some pics of other cars and it SEEMED like the vertical edge at the bumper pocket lines up with the corner seam.  Sectioning the qtr would have interrupted that alignment, so I chose to modify the corner as the less noticable option.

Ryan

Quote from: Domino on February 01, 2012, 06:54:57 AM
Quote from: Ryan on January 31, 2012, 10:25:30 PM

Yeah, a snip-tuck under that flap was needed.

As far as adding a section to the qtr, that's certainly another way to do it.  
I did not have a decent stock qtr to really inspect, but I looked at some pics of other cars and it SEEMED like the vertical edge at the bumper pocket lines up with the corner seam.  Sectioning the qtr would have interrupted that alignment, so I chose to modify the corner as the less noticable option.

Looking at my 68 charger and my original quarters, the line does meet up with the bumper pocket however the angle changes after the bumper pocket. My AMD quarters measured shorter at the bottom then my originals did so I guess I'll be slicing the quarter and adding. Pictures to come soon.

2014 viper TA

Ryan

2014 viper TA

Ryan

Pretty disappointed with the valance.

2014 viper TA

Patronus

Mine looked exactly like that. I added the piece into the corner, not the valence though.. The valence is plenty strong at that inside bend, I cut a slit in it and used the hammer and dolly to get it close. Weld it up and then I used some "all metal" filler.

edit: oops didnt see that was the quarter for a sec... either way, in 20 minutes you wont even know its there.. I did have to add about the same into the top of the new quarter at the jamb, plus had to rework the whole rear window areas so its common.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

NHCharger

Quote from: Ryan on February 10, 2012, 05:31:21 PM
Pretty disappointed with the valance.

Yup, my AMD valance looked just like that. Still beats the alternative of trying to find a decent used one.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Ryan

:Drivers side corner gap almost finished

2014 viper TA

lexxman

gtx6970

WOW, it looks like we are in the exact same boat

Ryan

Not much progress lately. But I did manage to test fit some trim and drill holes for it. As well as test fit my taillights. The taillight buckets were not welded properly by AMD. I will need to grind the spot welds, adjust the buckets and re spot weld them.... Not very happy about this.

2014 viper TA

73rallye440magnum

Nice work. Are your tail lights original pieces? (Does any one even repro those?)

Call AMD and make them aware of the issue.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

lexxman

That is looking nice,just like a having a new car. :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

AMD should just sell the tail light pockets seperatly. They are always out of whack.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ryan

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 07, 2012, 09:36:50 PM
AMD should just sell the tail light pockets seperatly. They are always out of whack.

I agree. This is the second tail panel they have sent me.

2014 viper TA

jeffsjag90

Could you explain what the problem is with taillight pockets. I am about to put mine on and would just like a heads up.

Thank you
Jeff

Ryan

Quote from: jeffsjag90 on March 09, 2012, 12:26:14 PM
Could you explain what the problem is with taillight pockets. I am about to put mine on and would just like a heads up.

Thank you
Jeff

They were welded crooked. When the taillight is installed it doesn't fit even. Looks good on one half then looks pushed in about 1/2" on the other half

2014 viper TA

Ryan

Here are some better pics in daylight. The drivers side one is "ok" and will only need minor tweaking but the pass side is pretty bad.

2014 viper TA

jeffsjag90

Thank you for pics. That will help me out more than you know. I am sure glad you are ahead of me. You where correct about quarters needing to be cut. I had to do just as you did. Good eye!!!!

Ryan

The next task is going to be fixing this

Not sure how I am going to do this yet.

2014 viper TA

b5blue