News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No turning back from here.

Started by Ryan, September 17, 2011, 08:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lexxman

Does AMD offer any guidance for when you get to that WTF point? Is there anything you can do about the tail light opening,or are you just going to live with it?

Ryan

Quote from: lexxman on March 10, 2012, 08:00:08 PM
Does AMD offer any guidance for when you get to that WTF point? Is there anything you can do about the tail light opening,or are you just going to live with it?

Not really. They make it sound like I'm the only guy in the world that has fittment issues. They seem to be ok with replaceing a panel once but once you get the replacement and it's exactly the same as what it was replaceing you are then SOL. Im not trying to bash AMD at all, I appreciate what they have provided to the hobby but their products still need a lot of fine tuning on their end.

As far as the tailpanel goes I will be able to reposition the taillight buckets its just going to be a pain in the ass.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Patronus

Had the same thing on the rear glass area.. only worse.. Its not too bad, just slit it again and pull it out to meet and then weld it up.. Use the glass for fitment. If it were easy chicks would do it.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Ryan

Quote from: Patronus on March 11, 2012, 09:55:07 AM
Had the same thing on the rear glass area.. only worse.. Its not too bad, just slit it again and pull it out to meet and then weld it up.. Use the glass for fitment. If it were easy chicks would do it.

Do you have any pics of what you did?

2014 viper TA

Ryan

Havnt made much progress lately but I did get some work done today.
Passenger side corner cap is done, got the New goodmark valance in place as well.

Got the passenger taillight bucket re welded. It's much better now. Still one small area that will need to be cut and patched.

You can see here how the opening doesn't follow the taillight at the curved part on the bottom.

2014 viper TA

Charger-Bodie

Ryan, I think you may want to take a look at your tailight. Looks like the trim is bent right at you problem spot.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Patronus

Quote from: Ryan on March 11, 2012, 11:11:04 AM
Quote from: Patronus on March 11, 2012, 09:55:07 AM

Do you have any pics of what you did?

No sorries, no pics. Looks like your doing a great job though! In your pic of the rear glass corner... If you cut the outside bend coming up from the actual glass channel, its between your silver paint pen marks, kinda like a "j" shape. Just cut about 1- 1.5" up from the bend. Then cut the lower inside corner of the glass channel (so basically its in 3 prongs... then bend the finger you made in until it lines up. Then weld it up. Mine was a bit worse actually. The light panel now theres a bitch...
The more I look at it you could also cut similarly the dutchman to line up, (and remove a small pie piece) check which is better with the glass staged in there...
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

HOTROD

That sucks I still need to buy one !! :flame:
What the Hell-Dumass !

Ryan

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on April 22, 2012, 07:12:29 PM
Ryan, I think you may want to take a look at your tailight. Looks like the trim is bent right at you problem spot.

I don't think it's bent. It fits perfect in the oem tail panel.

2014 viper TA

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Ryan on April 23, 2012, 09:41:00 AM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on April 22, 2012, 07:12:29 PM

I don't think it's bent. It fits perfect in the oem tail panel.

Im not saying that is bent for sure. Just , from the way the trim fits the light there that its possible.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ryan

Finally was happy with the fit so I started welding.

Started on the drivers quarter panel

Spot welds on b pillar

Spot welds on bottom of trunk extension

Spot welds on wheel well. Probably going to have to plug weld the rest of it as I can't get the spot welder into most of the wheel well.

2014 viper TA

superbirdtom

your one of the first guys ive sen on here spot weld the wheel well lip.  it makes it look like factory.  we just bought a new spotwelder and it looks great  had to up our breaker to 100 amp. so it would quit popping though.   thats the first place people look ( judges) on a resto.  and if its been plug welded and smoothed out  they deduct points.  so your good to go. 

project looking good.  does anyone else make a better fitting tail light panel??

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: superbirdtom on May 09, 2012, 09:32:52 AM
your one of the first guys ive sen on here spot weld the wheel well lip.  it makes it look like factory.  we just bought a new spotwelder and it looks great  had to up our breaker to 100 amp. so it would quit popping though.   thats the first place people look ( judges) on a resto.  and if its been plug welded and smoothed out  they deduct points.  so your good to go.  

project looking good.  does anyone else make a better fitting tail light panel??

99% sure AMD is the only one making the tail panel. Buckets had to be cut off mine too and repositioned. Other than that the fit was pretty good for repro.

lexxman

Did you trim the wheel well openings? I haven't trimmed mine I'm not sure how wide they should be. :shruggy:

Ryan

Quote from: lexxman on May 09, 2012, 10:00:55 PM
Did you trim the wheel well openings? I haven't trimmed mine I'm not sure how wide they should be. :shruggy:

Yes but not much. Maybe 1/8" at most and only in certain areas. Just trying to make the two pieces flush.

2014 viper TA

superbirdtom

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on May 09, 2012, 11:37:08 AM
Quote from: superbirdtom on May 09, 2012, 09:32:52 AM
your one of the first guys ive sen on here spot weld the wheel well lip.  it makes it look like factory.  we just bought a new spotwelder and it looks great  had to up our breaker to 100 amp. so it would quit popping though.   thats the first place people look ( judges) on a resto.  and if its been plug welded and smoothed out  they deduct points.  so your good to go.  

project looking good.  does anyone else make a better fitting tail light panel??

99% sure AMD is the only one making the tail panel. Buckets had to be cut off mine too and repositioned. Other than that the fit was pretty good for repro.
Thanks  as were starting total resto on a 70 charger r/t  orange with vinyl top and 4 speed.  its all there but needs roof  quarters and all the back end stuff,  plus  a hood.  god I hope someone starts repopping them.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Ryan on May 09, 2012, 11:44:27 PM

Yes but not much. Maybe 1/8" at most and only in certain areas. Just trying to make the two pieces flush.

Both 1/4's the forward arch towards the door is not a tight fit against the outer wheelhouse lip on my 70.

Edit i stand corrected after some tweaking the drivers side fits pretty snug at the wheelhouse lip.

Ryan

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on May 10, 2012, 11:24:26 AM
Quote from: Ryan on May 09, 2012, 11:44:27 PM

Both 1/4's the forward arch twoards the door is not a tight fit against the outer wheelhouse lip on my 70.

My drivers side way perfect.... pass side needs a little help.

2014 viper TA

lexxman

About how wide is that lip? Mine are at least 3/4 or more I think I'll have to go check.

superbirdtom

Ryan

Not much progress but I did finally find a super nice passenger door. Hopefully going to get a driver side tomorrow.

2014 viper TA

b5blue

charger_fan_4ever

Good for you man. I remember the days when every swap meet had atleast 3 sets of charger doors. I looked for over 6 months to find a good passengers side anywhere within a 500 mile radius that was rust free with no luck. Ended up getting an AMD door skin as my shell was ok. $300 skin plus time to put it on wish i could have found a rust free door.
Didn't quite dare buy a whole AMD shell as if it fits like most of their other panels would have needed a hammer lol.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ryan

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on June 06, 2012, 09:20:08 AM
Good for you man. I remember the days when every swap meet had atleast 3 sets of charger doors. I looked for over 6 months to find a good passengers side anywhere within a 500 mile radius that was rust free with no luck. Ended up getting an AMD door skin as my shell was ok. $300 skin plus time to put it on wish i could have found a rust free door.
Didn't quite dare buy a whole AMD shell as if it fits like most of their other panels would have needed a hammer lol.

Ya I was hesitant to use the AMD door shell on this car. I have heard good things about them though. Just didnt want to take chances.
I'm super happy with this door. Still has its original paint.

2014 viper TA