News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Melted Wiring

Started by 69rtmuscle, September 04, 2011, 08:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69rtmuscle

So My 69 Charger was running great, and after a brief stop, When I turned on the ignition:  SMOKE from the under hood wiring.  I traced it out, and it is the dark blue wire (w/tracer).  It had melted from the bulkhead plug to the voltage regulator (and maybe a bit under the dash).  I pulled the connector off the regulator, and was able to start the car, but the battery did not charge. 

I had the alternator checked, and it is bad, so did a short ruin the alternator, or did the alternator cause the wire to melt?  Or could it be the ignition switch or regulator?

You gotta love the electrical systems on these cars!

Thanks!

A383Wing

I had the same problem on my 66 a few years back...the regulator wire that runs from the regulator, through the bulkhead connector, and then ends up at the rear of the ignition switch burned....problem was that the regulator terminal that the wire connects to had shorted to ground. I had to do "re-constructive" surgery and replace that one wire that runs from ignition switch to regulator.

I also put a "fuse" inline with that wire so it won't burn again

69rtmuscle

That may be my problem.  Do I test the regulator for continuity between the connection point and the frame, and if I have continuity, then there is a short?

68neverlate

That's right 69rt, neither terminal should give you a connection to ground otherwise you have a short.  Make sure you disconnect both wires coming into and going out of the regulator (from the ignition and to the field of the alternator) before doing the test though...

69rtmuscle

Yes, I had a short, so I replaced the regulator, and upgraded my alternator as well.  All is good now!

flyinlow

Yea I had that happen to mine driving home from the cruise night at the Nations a few years ago. Luckily I was about a mile away from where everyone was sitting in their lawn chairs. Shut things off like a switch. Old insulation on a hot engine found a ground and fried the wire. Taped it up and got the 10 miles home.
Replaced the wiring and put inside a convoluted tubing for a second layer of insulation.

69rtmuscle

I was also at a cruise when mine went out.  I also had my daughter & her husband with us, as we were going to drop them at the SF airport after the cruise.  I was able to disconnect the regulator and drive on the battery to the airport, and then called AAA!

A383Wing

Quote from: 69rtmuscle on September 23, 2011, 09:58:41 PM
I was also at a cruise when mine went out.  I also had my daughter & her husband with us, as we were going to drop them at the SF airport after the cruise.  I was able to disconnect the regulator and drive on the battery to the airport, and then called AAA!

yea...we were at a funeral...went to start the car...smoke rolled out from under the hood...we called a flatbed tow truck...once we got the car home and settled down, I found the problem....had I known then, I would have just unplugged the wires to the regulator and drove it home on the battery

oh well, problem is fixed, and fuse has been installed in-line as well