News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your Charger: Did you buy the one you wanted, or settle for what was available?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, September 21, 2011, 12:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toocheaptosmoke

Little bit of both.  Few years back I had been mostly into jeeps, trucks, 4x4s etc, and for some reason decided I needed to change things up.  I think it might have been the new challenger that actually got the ball rolling, I liked the retro styling of the new car, so being that I love everything vintage I automatically wanted the "original" instead of the new one.  :icon_smile_big:  Was looking into the '70 challengers when the 2nd gens just kept nagging at me.  Decided that was the new goal.  :2thumbs: 

Started researching and seeing what was available out there, prices were crazy!  Most I ever spent on a car up to that point was $650.  Flip flopped back and forth a few times between affordable 3rd gens or complete basket case projects.  Eventually decided that if I was going to spend the time on a full blown project it better be something I really wanted, and not just close enough.  '68, '69, then '70 were my choices in that order.  Wanted an affordable project, no numbers, no R/T, drivetrain optional.  Didn't mind doing some rust work, but didn't want a lost cause.  Probably looked for a year or so?  Only ever found a couple cars close enough to go check out, just too far gone.

Then at the local swap last summer I walked up on '70 sitting on a trailer covered in primer.  Body had a couple spots already repaired, trunk floor and lower quarters, but the underside was surprisingly clean.  No motor or trans, was someones project they started but never finished.  Guy wanted too much, and it was a '70 with parts missing.   But, it was exactly the type of project I wanted, a decent shape blank canvas I wouldn't feel bad about modifying a bit.   In the end we settled on a price I feel was about $1500 more than it should have ever sold for, that hurt and it still bugs me a bit.  But, on the other hand I knew I was paying a bit more than it was worth when I was buying it.  The car was a mile from my house, I could see what I was getting, and all the time saved from hunting down cars all across the country.

So in short, I guess I settled quite a bit, but in hindsight I don't really regret it.  I think if I hadn't settled for that car I got I might still be looking.

6spd68

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on October 29, 2013, 06:54:17 PM
 In the end we settled on a price I feel was about $1500 more than it should have ever sold for, that hurt and it still bugs me a bit.  But, on the other hand I knew I was paying a bit more than it was worth when I was buying it.  The car was a mile from my house, I could see what I was getting, and all the time saved from hunting down cars all across the country.

So in short, I guess I settled quite a bit, but in hindsight I don't really regret it.  I think if I hadn't settled for that car I got I might still be looking.

Same here, only with a 68 instead.  Sucks that I paid as much as I did, but with next to no needed metal work, and no rust what-so-ever, I can't complain too much.  At least we have our cars now right?
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Dino

When you try to get the best deal possible at all times, you'll end up banging your head against the wall a tad more than is good for you.  You can't win them all.  Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

A few grand too much is not all that bad in the grand scheme of things, besides what's too much at one point in time is the norm at another or the deal of the century at yet another, that's how it goes.

At least you didn't buy, and pay for, a mint car that turned out to be a lemon.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

toocheaptosmoke

Quote from: 6spd68 on October 30, 2013, 02:56:37 PM
Same here, only with a 68 instead.  Sucks that I paid as much as I did, but with next to no needed metal work, and no rust what-so-ever, I can't complain too much.  At least we have our cars now right?

Right, not sure what I'd do with all that extra cash I would have had laying around...  :lol:   

Also have to figure in the "kicking yourself for not buying" factor.  I know I would have regretted not buying it a year down the road while still looking.  :brickwall:  Sometimes it's worth spending a bit more if you really want something, the opportunity to get it might not always be there.  You only seem to find the really good deals when you're not in the market.

1st_charger

Neither, and both, bought a shell and built the car I wanted lucked out that the body vin and fender tag were for a 69 r/t se to bad all I got was the shell no drive train or interior but also lucky because then I didn't feel obligated to take it back to the way it was factory.

ws23rt

I spotted my C500 in 1982. It was at a gas station with a for sale sign.  I wasn't looking for a car but this was the first time I had seen a 500 in person.
This was an opportunity. The kid selling it was the second owner and needed cash. He was asking $2500 and I needed to wait for my tax return.
A couple of weeks passed and he dropped the price to 2K just as my money came in.

There are many times in those days that I came across super deals on hemi cars (my passion). I had to pass on several nice ones cause putting my hands on 2-3 grand on short notice killed the deals. :eek2:

I met a 20 something guy in the eighties that had 13 hemi cars he collected because he had found money (inheritance).
Maybe someone on this site remembers that guys collection?  He lived in NW washington (hood canal area).

69wannabe

Some of both but it really worked out fine. I found a deal for a 68 charger 383 4-speed for less than 4 grand and it was running and driving!! I was wanting a 69 charger automatic console with a 383 or 440. The car had great floor pans and average rusty quarters and trunk pans. Not rusted out but normal rust issues as associated with these old cars. It was painted up like a general lee but with all the 68 features. After a few years we (me and a friend of mine) did a kinda quickie paint and body patch up job but with a 69 taillight panel and 69 taillights and put the uniform back on it. Bout a year later I changed out the 68 grille for a 69 grille so it looked more the part for a general lee. I was still sporting the round marker lights til I smacked the ditch with the rear of the car after hitting the wet pavement a lil too fast. Time for some major repairs at this point so I got new 69 front fenders, 69 quarters, and a 69 rear valence so now after 2 yrs of body work it looks completely like a 69 charger from the outside now with working reverse lights and all. Still sporting 68 seat covers hopefully to change next year to 69 and is a 493 under the hood with the 4 speed still in there. Very satisfied with my old car and even tho I made it into my dream car it was worth the effort!! :icon_smile_big:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: ws23rt on October 30, 2013, 08:17:28 PM

Maybe someone on this site remembers that guys collection?  He lived in NW washington (hood canal area).

Hood River, Oregon?

I've never heard of anyone but that doesn't mean there isn't one.  I do know there was a guy local that had every color made of Superbirds'.  He passed & his son sold them all off.  I was actually working with him on one of the last ones.  It was his Dad's I think.  The nose was bondoed in & it was a 4 gear.  He wanted like 47k but I had just bought my blue car. :-\

will721

I'll let yall know when it happens. Life keeps throwing curve balls into the grand plan. Till then back to creepin on the cars here. So many gorgeous cars...  :drool5:
>>> Just your friendly neighborhood stalker! <<<

6pkrtse

When I was looking for a Charger when I was a teenager. My red 70 R/T S.E. came up locally in Mi semi-fresh from Cali. Once I saw not only was it an R/T & an S.E. but it was loaded out with every option minu the sunroof so I had to have it. Bought it on the spot. So I got more than what I wanted or was looking for at a cheaper price than I was ready to spend also.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

lloyd3

It took a long time, but I did get what I wanted. It had to be a 1968 R/T and it had to be a 4-gear. Color was a variable and I ended up with one that has grown on me to the point where I wouldn't want another. Mind you, this was all 17-years ago.

twodko

I didn't know I wanted a Charger. We found and restored a nice little 69 Chevelle Mailbu in 2005 the owner & son had just dropped a stroker into . At the time I really wanted a 69 Chevelle SS 396 L78 4 spd but couldn't swing $35K for a finished car.
My buddy was always a mopar guy and had this 69 Charger R/T he brought new.....said he was going to restore it blah blah blah.
I had ridden in the car once and remembered it to be much roomier than the Chevelle and quick for a full size car.
He put it into a storage locker, we got tired of the Chevelle and sold it for $16k after sinking $25k into it. I told myself I'd never again blow that kind of cash on a classic car.
Then I started to read about the mopar mystique....that was it, I realized what my buddy owned and I was hooked. I pestered him for a few years about buying the car and he gave the same old rant until one day he said OK.

We drove it home in early 2009 and finished its resto in March of 2010. By this time i fully understood exactly what I had and have enjoyed passing just about everything except gas stations since. Pure luck that i was able to buy this car and def won't ever lose money on it if I were to sell it. We put $55k into the car including the purchase price and I don't regret a dime of it.
In a perfect world AC, electric windows and a 4 spd would make it the total package. Nonetheless I'm a very happy owner.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.