News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 Charger Quarter and Outer Wheel Well Replacement

Started by jessie1, September 26, 2011, 11:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessie1

Hello, I am new to posting to the forum, so please bear with me!

I have a '68 Charger that I am replacing the outer wheel wells and quarters due to some previous superficial damage and inferior repair.  The car had some previous work done to the lip of the outer wheel wells and had quarter skins installed.  I am replacing the skins with new, full AMD quarter panels.  I also have purchased both AMD outer wheel wells.  I have a couple of questions:

1. The spot welded seam between the quarter and the roof had some sort of seam sealer/flexible body filler in the seam.  This car is a vinyl top car and did not have a leaded seam.  Is an OEM style replacement for the seam sealer/flexible body filler for the seam available?  I want to avoid lead if possible, since the car didn't originally have lead in the seam.  I am going to paint the car black with a black vinyl top, so metal expansion/contraction will be critical at this seam.

2. The outer wheel wells are in good shape apart from the lower 2"-3" where it meets the quarter panel wheel lip opening.  The seam between the outer and inner wheel wells looks tough to break.  Should I break the seam between the wheel wells and replace the whole thing, or just section in the 2"-3" that needs replacing?

3. The b-pillar also had some sort of seam sealer in the spot welded seam.  On my car, this original seam held up very well, and I would like to replace the seam sealer with something equivalent.  What type of seam sealer goes back in this seam?

Thanks for hearing me out!

Patronus

No lead originally huh? That doesn't sound right. I would recommend using lead, or lead-free solder for almost all bodywork. Even under the vinyl you'll see the seam if you dont. :Twocents:
Also, lots of people use the wheel house for patching instead of replacement.
You're lucky that car is so dry, looks good.  :popcrn:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

jessie1

Yes, no lead  :shruggy:.....and yes, you COULD see the seam through the original vinyl top from different angles.  I have attached another picture of the driver's side with the original seam still in place.  The original JJ1 Med. Gold Metallic paint is still in place covering the seam, and then covered with the vinyl top roof glue.  You can see the seam if you look carefully.  Maybe I should just lead the seam, since I don't want to see through it after the new top is on.

Lead is present at the usual quarter/rocker seam and at the base of the windshield.  The other picture shows the original lead seam at the base of the windshield.

This car is an original west coast car and has been stored in my heated garage for the past 22 years, so it's dry for sure!

Patronus

Just so you know, the quarter/roof seam is another 2-3 inches higher than where you have stripped in that pic. The cowl looks in great shape! I thought learning to lead was great. I'm coming up with all kinds of ideas for that stuff! (I could use another torch though) I have been using a propane one 'cause its here, but I'm sure there's something better/faster. Just try not to have too much heat, Eastwood carries good stuff.  :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

tan top

there was no lead in the roof seams on vinyl top cars from the factory , they used some sort of  fiber type body filler !!  think it might of been a cost cutting type of thing  :shruggy: , only non vinyl cars got lead !!  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

jessie1

Exactly.  You paid extra for the vinyl top, and then they gyped you by not leading the seam!  :scratchchin: I think the factory original filler used is the same stuff used on the roof drip rails.

I think I'll put lead back, since the seam was visible through the original vinyl top before I removed it.  I've never worked with lead before, but I'll see what Eastwood has.....thanks Patronus!

I have attached a modified photo, that shows the location of the seam, and the yellow dots show the typical extent of the flexible body filler, since it's difficult to see in the photo.  I'll try to find some pictures of the car when I got it 22 years ago.  I think the seam was visible in the pictures back then!

nvrbdn

you can see the seam crease in the first pic through the gold paint, plus a line where the filler seems to stop. but you can really pick it up with the dots and arrows pointing it out  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Patronus

Quote from: tan top on September 28, 2011, 04:34:16 AM
there was no lead in the roof seams on vinyl top cars from the factory , they used some sort of  fiber type body filler !!  think it might of been a cost cutting type of thing  :shruggy: , only non vinyl cars got lead !!  :popcrn:

Wow, I never knew that.  :scratchchin:
I think in hind sight I would use lead-free solder. Just cause its safe, and you're not spraying lead dust all over. I'm just itching to
do this Trans-am wide-body idea for my brothers e body in steel and lead. Tis bein' garage season soon... :buff:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

gtx6970

paying close attention. :popcrn:

As I wil be doing the exact same thing( only more )  in about a month