News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rusty bird still running and on the hwy ( face book ) anyone heres car ?

Started by moparstuart, September 27, 2011, 12:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: 70Sbird on September 27, 2011, 08:59:11 PM
I got a few pics of this 'bird too. the bottom half of the Nose is non-existent, looks to have rusted and fallen off, the car has some cosmetic issues to be sure, but it WAS driven from MN to Indy! and the driver(s) were great to talk to
:2thumbs:

I betcha it ran cooler with all that extra air...........  :D
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Dirtybird

That's my Bird- and me driving it. Had a great, but quick, trip to Indy to meet Big Mike Zachary's son and grandson. Mike died recently, and his son wanted to see the car- so we made the trip. Used 5 1/2 gallons of oil- had to change the plugs- but other than that- it was a flawless trip. Still trying to decide what exactly to do with her- and I'm researching the squad car history. I was at the Nats last year as well- drove it the whole way too- and I wasn't filling just rust holes in the roof with permatex- but the holes for mounting, and wiring the Gumball! :cheers:

moparstuart

Quote from: Dirtybird on September 29, 2011, 11:28:05 AM
That's my Bird- and me driving it. Had a great, but quick, trip to Indy to meet Big Mike Zachary's son and grandson. Mike died recently, and his son wanted to see the car- so we made the trip. Used 5 1/2 gallons of oil- had to change the plugs- but other than that- it was a flawless trip. Still trying to decide what exactly to do with her- and I'm researching the squad car history. I was at the Nats last year as well- drove it the whole way too- and I wasn't filling just rust holes in the roof with permatex- but the holes for mounting, and wiring the Gumball! :cheers:
welcome great car/story and love the fact you drive it and enjoy it in what ever state it's in .   :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

70Sbird

Welcome to DC.com!  :2thumbs:
we love stories and pictures!
My vote would be to get all of the running gear back up to spec (would save on oil too) and drive the car as it is!
There are plenty of very nice restored wing cars around, very few in the condition your is in.
:Twocents:

Scott Faulkner

moparstuart

Quote from: 70Sbird on September 29, 2011, 12:01:32 PM

My vote would be to get all of the running gear back up to spec (would save on oil too) and drive the car as it is!
There are plenty of very nice restored wing cars around, very few in the condition your is in.
run 20/50 valaline & use some restore,  restore is a great product too, for at least a short time fix , so your not spending a billion on gas and oil   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

65post

Quote from: 70Sbird on September 29, 2011, 12:01:32 PM

I agree.Run that thing the way it is.I am sure it will attract more attention at the shows than the trailer queens....No offense to the trailer queens.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

pettybird

HA I forgot about the gumball! 

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

tan top

hello & welcome  :cheers:

:coolgleamA:  good stuff  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69_500

Welcome to the site Dirtybird. I was talking to you on Sunday under the tent when it never let up raining. I had the R4 red C500 there.

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemi68charger

Quote from: PocketThunder on September 29, 2011, 09:34:07 PM
A 4-speed car without a tach?...??   :ahum:

Oh yeah, I've seen plenty of them before....... I think it was the norm rather than the exception...........
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

I agree to leave it the way it is. It is way more intriguing then a fully restored bird.

It's like a forgotten hero roaming the streets... 

hemi68charger

Troy

Arnie Cunningham

Yes, for whatever reason, a tach is more commonly found in the automatic cars.  Both my 4 speed and Al Wald's have only the bullseye.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

DonC1

'It's like a forgotten hero roaming the streets...  '

Aptly put...I got that sense too.,

Great car.

41husk

I would restore it :Twocents:  I agree there are many more birds in restored shape than weathered, but I don't have one of them :brickwall:  I would much rather see a bird in that condition driven and enjoyed, than one sitting out in the weather rotting away to nothing because the owner "is going to fix it up one day"! :shruggy: Either side you are on it is a great car and a great story! :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Dirtybird

Not the New Mexico squad (BlackBird) but one used in Alabama or Mississippi. So far I have conflicting stories. The picture in the Aug 2011 MCG had a story included, that referred to a local constable (unknown state/city) nicknamed "Cowboy" that used to like to pull over kids out road drinking, and bring them home to Mom and Dad. Anthony Zachary swears there were 5 white birds, 4 had 440's and one was supposed to be a hemi car- all white, one (mine) with ralleyes (in the pic) the others had white rims with dog dishes. He says 3 were in Miss, and 2 in Alabama- or the other way around. He says there was an article on them in the DSAC newsletter in about 1975-76. Does anyone have the old newsletters posted on the net? They would make for some great reading, and should be archived if possible. I've had a terrible time trying to get the address, and original copies of the pics sent in- from MCG. But I spoke with the Mulleted one, at Indy, and I should be getting some more info soon. The name of the person that sent in the pics is Mike McGowan- and I even found one that races Mopars- but it was not the right one. I should have more info fairly soon. A friend of Anthony's (Shawn/Shane?) owned it for a while, and found bullets in the trunk (I'm going to dig down in the extensions to see if there are more there) and Anthony cleaned out a bunch of copies of tickets the cop had written- when he was a kid. He thinks he may have one still- and remembers at the top them saying Alabama Highway Patrol (or Mississippi). So I'm not sure where this all will lead me- but I'm on it. As far as fixing it up- I'm not sure if I'll build another 440- so I can protect the #'s one- or build it- hoping to retain the original "patina" as much as possible. I have another nose- thats hit high, that I could repair the original with, and I think I could do it- to still look old and weathered. The biggest thing if I keep it "rough" is to try and protect it so that it does not get worse. With the cop car history- it will be hard to not eventually restore it back with the gumball, whip antenaes, siren, and radio equipment. Still way cool in my book. What do you guys think? Oh- and as far as the trailer queen cars go- I don't think they appreciated my car much- I was disappointed that few to none even came over and talked with me- oh well- I slept fine. Of course with the amount of fumes I inhaled on the trip- anyone would! lol!!!

Aero426

The roughest looking wing car will always get more attention at a car show than the nicest restored car.  

Aero426

I have the old 75-76 newsletters.    Just need to sit down and read them unless someone has them and can do it faster.

Kirby, last night I found the letter from Mark Faught who visited Zachary's to buy a Bird and took the pic of your car in 1984.   You can clearly see where the bubble was in the center of the roof.     He says that car was a 440-4 with a 4-speed.    No doubt it is yours.    He also said this particular car actually belonged to Mike's father.     Mark took photos of nine different cars and wrote short descriptions of each. 

Dirtybird

Correct- Anthony said his grandpa bought it from an estate sale for $500. Whomever the estate owner was- had to buy it dang near directly from the Cop/County/State right after it was retired- for there to still have bullets, and tickets in the car. Anthony had the blue gumball his dad put on the roof at shows- to replicate the original. I have it now- and pics from back in the day with it on the roof- but it is smaller than the one in the pics sent to MCG.