News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rusty bird still running and on the hwy ( face book ) anyone heres car ?

Started by moparstuart, September 27, 2011, 12:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

satin clear EVERYTHING.  that should 'lock' in the look.

shame we didn't go to the show--we would have parked next to you!  I was at the 'nats in an unrestored B5 bird.

pettybird

Quote from: nascarxx29 on September 30, 2011, 08:45:52 AM
Might have been New Mexico

yeah...that's generally what a new mexico car looks like...I hear the desert heat rots 'em out real quick.

Dirtybird

Quote from: pettybird on September 30, 2011, 10:39:55 AM

shame we didn't go to the show--we would have parked next to you!  I was at the 'nats in an unrestored B5 bird.

I'm pretty sure we talked for quite a bit at the Nats. Didn't you teethe on the steering wheel of the Petty Bird? LOL

moparstuart

Quote from: Dirtybird on September 30, 2011, 11:01:35 AM

I'm pretty sure we talked for quite a bit at the Nats. Didn't you teethe on the steering wheel of the Petty Bird? LOL
he still does   :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on September 30, 2011, 11:10:18 AM
Quote from: Dirtybird on September 30, 2011, 11:01:35 AM

he still does   :icon_smile_big:

Stuart, what I do with Pioneer Stereo Guy is none of your business.   :flame:

Yep that's me.  We got stupid and fixed up one of the cars but we still have an ugly one to keep yours company!

FJ5WING

Hello Dirtybird...welcome, and thanks for sharing your story and pics!  :2thumbs:

I guess Im the thread downer,  :D  I prefer my cars nice and shiney. I hated keeping the hood closed on my car because the engine compartment to me was :eek2: I have watched the trend of opinions the last year or so skew towards leaving them as is but I sure dont see very many out and about unrestored.  ::)  So where are the guys who want them left as is?  :shruggy: why arent you taking your cars out and driving them? I still see row after row of restored cars and love it.  :drool5: :yesnod:
I did consider just giving my Bird an engine compartment restoration and leaving the very nice body alone but while crawling around under the car getting things in order I noticed that the previous owner had parts store undercoated and it  :brickwall: had trapped moisture between the spayed on gum and the floor pans, while it flaked right off it revealed the start of rust that needed to be addressed before you know what.
wingless now, but still around.

Kismgby

ACUDANUT

Just remember, the longer you let that rust stick around, the more it grows....Hope the frame is still solid. :Twocents:

Dirtybird

Quote from: ACUDANUT on October 02, 2011, 10:44:41 AM
Just remember, the longer you let that rust stick around, the more it grows....Hope the frame is still solid. :Twocents:

The underside of the nose is rusty, and the trunk- but the rest is quite solid. But letting it "grow" is why I may have to do some "restoration" to stop it from going to heck.

toocheaptosmoke

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on September 27, 2011, 02:30:54 PM
It is the coming trend in the hobby... "Retro-Rough"  ;)

Gonna use that to describe my vehicles from now on.  :lol:

Love original stuff like that!!  :2thumbs:

pettybird

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on October 04, 2011, 10:30:16 PM
Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on September 27, 2011, 02:30:54 PM
It is the coming trend in the hobby... "Retro-Rough"  ;)

Gonna use that to describe my vehicles from now on.  :lol:

Love original stuff like that!!  :2thumbs:

well, if you use it, it won't be original.  just sayin'.

ACUDANUT

Keeping it orginal is not going to preserve the Bird either....Just saying.
Original rust is "not a bragging right".  Just fix what you need to. :Twocents:
Love the story.  :cheers:

toocheaptosmoke

Quote from: pettybird on October 05, 2011, 09:11:56 AM

well, if you use it, it won't be original.  just sayin'.

I meant that I love original cars.   My vehicles are usually just described as junk.  :lol:

Dirtybird

At this point I'm thinking about fixing the rust in roof- and putting a new vinyl roof on, new carpet and headliner (because it's pretty gross and dirty inside) and then possibly making 1 nose out of the 2 I have- but trying to replicate the aged look to some degree- would look stupid with a nice shiny nose on it. And last but not least- wash and buff it out some. I'm not sure if I've every even washed it in seven years- lol. :cheers:

djcarguy

Quote from: moparstuart on September 27, 2011, 12:48:47 PM
:

I loved the car, and the guys were totally cool.  He had driven it quite a while to get there.
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   great   i love that he drives it
[/quote]

Aero426

The Dirty Bird will be at the MCACN show in Chicago coming up in November. 

Dirtybird

Just got home from a 3,000 mile (11 day) road trip with Domingo (Peru) to research the Bird. Too tired to tell all, and have some seriously cool stories to tell and confirm.  We drove from MN- to Decorah IA, to St. Louis, to Nashville, to Beloxi (caught the Cruising the Coast show totally unplanned) then to New Orleans for a nasty night- then home. I'm beat, and for the most part the car worked well. I gotta sleep-More to follow-

moparstuart

Quote from: Dirtybird on October 16, 2012, 02:24:24 AM
Just got home from a 3,000 mile (11 day) road trip with Domingo (Peru) to research the Bird. Too tired to tell all, and have some seriously cool stories to tell and confirm.  We drove from MN- to Decorah IA, to St. Louis, to Nashville, to Beloxi (caught the Cruising the Coast show totally unplanned) then to New Orleans for a nasty night- then home. I'm beat, and for the most part the car worked well. I gotta sleep-More to follow-
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

200MPH

Charger