News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sooooo... What was the purpose of fender scoops...? ***VOTE in added Poll***

Started by xs29j8Bullitt, October 05, 2011, 07:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Based on the evidence so far, the fender scoops are for:

Tire clearance only, just like the Chrysler guys said!
Tire clearance initially, with un-intended Aero improvements.
Tire clearance AND Aero improvements by design from the start.
Aero improvements by design, possibly some minor tire clearance improvement with NASCAR mods.
Aero improvements only, fender stiffener edge and hood stiffener are tire clearance limiters.
It allows the HOT temperatures to escape, generated from the tires that moving at VERY high speeds. 150-200 mph

Golden-Arm

they werent there to allow for tire clearance. the tires would be shredded on the edges, or grated on the screens. they did have screens, as items would be picked up and fired through the holes, had they not been screened. there's no reason to screen them, other than that. if you look at the tire on a race car, and collapsed the suspension on it, the tire isnt going to fit inside the hole anyways. i believe the tire story was just some BS created by chrysler, to hide the fact they were getting downforce from allowing the wheelwells to vent. air pressure builds under the car, and the front wheelwells are no exception. it is a simple tool, to aid in downforce, nothing more really. .02 cents  :nana:

FJ5WING

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on October 05, 2011, 09:02:19 PM
Quote from: FJ5WING on October 05, 2011, 08:53:29 PM
Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on October 05, 2011, 08:51:35 PM
Quote from: FJ5WING on October 05, 2011, 08:25:20 PM
Did the race cars have the screen in the fenders under the scoops? I thought it was for additional tire clearence when the cars bottomed out in the corners due to the additional downforce?  :-\

No screans on the race cars.   The street birds were not even cut out.

did I give the impression I was referring to Superbirds? :shruggy: I thought we were discussing Daytonas? :icon_smile_wink:
The thread started out,  "What is the purpose of the scoops?"   Birds have them too.. :nana:

youre absolutly right  :2thumbs:..........for some reason I went right to the Daytonas. :P
wingless now, but still around.

stripedelete

I'm certainly no expert on wing cars and hiding a competitive advantage sounds very plausible,,,, in 1969 - 1970.  But "it ain't the launch codes" so why not come clean a decade or two later?   :shruggy:

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: Golden-Arm on October 05, 2011, 09:07:38 PM
they werent there to allow for tire clearance. the tires would be shredded on the edges, or grated on the screens. they did have screens, as items would be picked up and fired through the holes, had they not been screened. there's no reason to screen them, other than that. if you look at the tire on a race car, and collapsed the suspension on it, the tire isnt going to fit inside the hole anyways. i believe the tire story was just some BS created by chrysler, to hide the fact they were getting downforce from allowing the wheelwells to vent. air pressure builds under the car, and the front wheelwells are no exception. it is a simple tool, to aid in downforce, nothing more really. .02 cents  :nana:
Hey Thomas  :eyes:  No screens on the race cars.  Lets get that straight.    Tire is spinning in a forward motion.  Objects do hit the vent.  If that were the case, they would make them run mud flaps too.    The whole tire doesn't need to stick through the fender.  It was just rubbing the fender top in a small patch.   The aero aid was a benni..        
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

hemi68charger

Ok, short of reading every peice of literature ever written, where in the link does it explain the "reason"? I see plenty of "what if's" and the fact the Chrysler really never said conclusively why? But, everything points to tire clearance issues, thus reducing the potential for tire rubbing at high speeds and load. The race cars had bigger holes, not the small ones like the street versions, according to what I read................ Maybe we can get Tim to pull one of his scoops off #71 and check it out.....  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

pettybird

conspiracy theories aside tire clearance is the only reason according to George Wallace or Larry Rathgeib.  I've heard the story more than once from them, and even under pretty intense grilling they stick to the clearance story.  If it was something else, why would they keep it a secret now?

side note:  GWB knocked down the twin towers, and if you play a $20 bill backward on a turntable it gives instructions for the Masonic handshake.

Aero426

Regardless of the end result of the scoops, the ORIGINAL problem encountered was on the '68 1/2 Charger race car.    They did have a legitimate tire rub problem on the right front of that car.    It was real.  That was where the idea that they MIGHT need the scoops came from.   Read the two excerpts posted here.

Aero426

Paragraph continued...   Note the creation of a blister on top of the fender and cutting away part of the hood.   This 68 1/2 car was extremely low.  

This piece of the story is fact, not some conspiracy theory.  

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 05, 2011, 09:37:20 PM
But, everything points to tire clearance issues

Quote from: pettybird on October 05, 2011, 09:53:54 PM
conspiracy theories aside tire clearance is the only reason according to George Wallace or Larry Rathgeib.

Other than the recollections of these two gentlemen (admittedly important), what other evidence is there for tire clearance being the reason for fender scoops?  Tire clearance can be obtained with far less disturbance to the contour.  If you fit the outboard edge of a tire at a "best fit" into the larger race opening, it might protrude 1/2 before contacting the sharp un-radiused edges of the opening, so why the tall scoop... and no radii, especially on the forward edge of the opening?

Superbird brochure:
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

xs29j8Bullitt

Stuart is gonna like the "telestrator"... :lol:

C5X DAYTONA

Ok, short of reading every peice of literature ever written, where in the link does it explain the "reason"? I see plenty of "what if's" and the fact the Chrysler really never said conclusively why? But, everything points to tire clearance issues, thus reducing the potential for tire rubbing at high speeds and load. The race cars had bigger holes, not the small ones like the street versions, according to what I read................ Maybe we can get Tim to pull one of his scoops off #71 and check it out.....  :icon_smile_big:
Here is my "reason for believing."  This comes from George Wallace 2004 as we are driving in my Daytona to Talladega.     George ask me while he pointing at the right fender vent.  Do you know why that is there?   I said,  yes, tire clearance.   George's reply was good..   George pointed at the left vent and said,  Do you know why that is there?  I said, clearance.  He said, no.  It would look dumb with one.   Then he said,  the Ford guys thought it was a vent.      But leave it to Doug to put the final nail on the coffin...   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  Here is Mr. Wallace and I that very day.    Awesome guy.

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on October 06, 2011, 12:05:02 AM
Ok, short of reading every peice of literature ever written, where in the link does it explain the "reason"? I see plenty of "what if's" and the fact the Chrysler really never said conclusively why? But, everything points to tire clearance issues, thus reducing the potential for tire rubbing at high speeds and load. The race cars had bigger holes, not the small ones like the street versions, according to what I read................ Maybe we can get Tim to pull one of his scoops off #71 and check it out.....  :icon_smile_big:
Here is my "reason for believing."  This comes from George Wallace 2004 as we are driving in my Daytona to Talladega.     George ask me while he pointing at the right fender vent.  Do you know why that is there?   I said,  yes, tire clearance.   George's reply was good..   George pointed at the left vent and said,  Do you know why that is there?  I said, clearance.  He said, no.  It would look dumb with one.   Then he said,  the Ford guys thought it was a vent.      But leave it to Doug to put the final nail on the coffin...   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  Here is Mr. Wallace and I that very day.    Awesome guy.

I understand your feeling Sean, but not knowing either gentleman, my approach is purely analytical.  The low speed and trans-sonic aerodynamics courses that I took to obtain my BS Aerospace Engineering degree make it clear to me that it did function as an air extractor, whatever the original design intent was.  My 30+ year Aerospace Engineering experience, including designing three air extractors on aircraft, makes it difficult to see how it effectively functioned to significantly increase tire clearance.

We can disagree while understanding each other's reasoning... :cheers:

Daytona Guy

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 05, 2011, 08:23:21 PM
My understanding is tire clearance, simple................

If you look at the test mule this is clearly not the purpose of the scoops. I'm on an iPad so I can't post a pic - if someone has the pic of the mule post it.

Dane

Daytona Guy

Did the race cars have the screen in the fenders under the scoops? I thought it was for additional tire clearence when the cars bottomed out in the corners due to the additional downforce?  :-\

They bottom out on the frame so the tire can't reach the top of the fender.

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on October 06, 2011, 12:31:32 AM

I understand your feeling Sean, but not knowing either gentleman, my approach is purely analytical.  The low speed and trans-sonic aerodynamics courses that I took to obtain my BS Aerospace Engineering degree make it clear to me that it did function as an air extractor, whatever the original design intent was.  My 30+ year Aerospace Engineering experience, including designing three air extractors on aircraft, makes it difficult to see how it effectively functioned to significantly increase tire clearance.

We can disagree while understanding each other's reasoning... :cheers:
:2thumbs:    You got it.  It did function as a air extractor.  Totally.  I just think it being left open as a vent was an added benefit.  The original intent was to stop the tire from rubbing on hard bumps at speed.  After Daytona in Feb of 70 I don't think tire rub was ever an issue due to the restrictor plate.  So after that.  Defiantly just a vent in my opinion.    They were having a problem on the right front with rub in 68 as per the note Doug posted.      In your defence,   If anyone has ever driven a Daytona in the rain knows how much air and water comes out of those (things.)   Also, Larry Rathgeb was staffed with former aerospace engineers like Bob Marcell and John Pointer.

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: Daytona Guy on October 06, 2011, 01:11:56 AM

They bottom out on the frame so the tire can't reach the top of the fender.
You don't ever want to bottom out in a race car at speed on hard bumps. That is a big fat never too.   That is one good way to break spindles..

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Aero426 on October 05, 2011, 10:11:24 PM
Regardless of the end result of the scoops, the ORIGINAL problem encountered was on the '68 1/2 Charger race car.    They did have a legitimate tire rub problem on the right front of that car.    It was real.  That was where the idea that they MIGHT need the scoops came from.   Read the two excerpts posted here.

Notice it hit the hood too - this is corrected in the suspension - not the scoop.

C5X DAYTONA

Well the HORSE(s) said,  Tire clearance.....    :RantExplode:  :lol: :lol:

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: Daytona Guy on October 06, 2011, 01:18:22 AM
Quote from: Aero426 on October 05, 2011, 10:11:24 PM

Notice it hit the hood too - this is corrected in the suspension - not the scoop.
Yes they did for the 68.  They could not modify the fender top.    Then came the Daytona with WAY WAY more downforce..   They were able to modify the fender top if the street car had it.    

xs29j8Bullitt

F Series Charger Wind Tunnel Test Report...

hemi68charger

Here is my "reason for believing."  This comes from George Wallace 2004 as we are driving in my Daytona to Talladega.     George ask me while he pointing at the right fender vent.  Do you know why that is there?   I said,  yes, tire clearance.   George's reply was good..   George pointed at the left vent and said,  Do you know why that is there?  I said, clearance.  He said, no.  It would look dumb with one.   Then he said,  the Ford guys thought it was a vent.      But leave it to Doug to put the final nail on the coffin...   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  Here is Mr. Wallace and I that very day.    Awesome guy.

Yeap, George is an awesome guy. Had the privilege of chatting with him on pit row back in '04 at Talladega. What's mentioned here comes straight from the horses mouth and IS the only LOGICAL explanation. Tire clearance, tire clearance, tire clearance....................... That's my final answer.......  Next........  :icon_smile_big:

I firmly believe the 'Birds don't have the holes cut out of the fenders just because...... they could get away without the mod as long as the scoop was there. Additional mod's equal additional money....
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

pettybird

but not knowing either gentleman, my approach is purely analytical. 

It's a shame you haven't met them.  They're sharp as tacks and remember the program vividly.

Aero426

The #5 Bobby Unser Superbird which is described by Terry Nichels as "the biggest cheater of them all" had no fender scoops whatsoever.  

hemi68charger

Quote from: pettybird on October 06, 2011, 07:33:24 AM
but not knowing either gentleman, my approach is purely analytical. 

It's a shame you haven't met them.  They're sharp as tacks and remember the program vividly.

:iagree:  Mr. Wallace had so much influence in the Hemi, TA/AAR program, NASCAR; you name it.........
Troy

nascarxx29

Air extractors make somesense as you see similar ones and same location except for the scoops.On high end european 200mph cars there fenders are louvred...I believe to reduce lift and air pressure under the car .The tire clearance reason has merit to.I read and heard somewhere before that nascar wingcars crew chiefs had plastic spacers under the torsion bar adjustment bolt.And after a few laps these spacers would crush down lowering the car.As they would check car height prerace and not post race.Wouldnt the fenders scoops just being there contribute to that advantage :Twocents:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701