News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

preping new doors panels for primer and paint

Started by AmadeusCharger500, October 13, 2011, 09:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I bought doors that were coated in what looks like black primer. It had a sticker said somethin like electronically charged. Is there anything to do other than scuff and spray on the primer coat?

bill440rt

You should not have to remove the black e-coat.
Completely scuff or sand the door entirely, and then prime.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Canadian1968

Actually , as long as there no damage in the door ( from shipping )  you can just scuff ( 600- red scuff pad) and paint. The e-coat is fine. But depending on the rest of the project, you may want to seal to match colour ???

bill440rt

Paint will not properly stick to e-coat, sorry. You must at least apply a sealer.

There are some primers/sealers nowadays that you can apply to new e-coated OE parts without sanding. I wouldn't trust that method on these aftermarket parts, so I recommend sanding them.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

jaak

Quote from: bill440rt on October 13, 2011, 10:52:11 PM
You should not have to remove the black e-coat.
Completely scuff or sand the door entirely, and then prime.
:Twocents:

:iagree:

Jason