News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Charger Build - aka "Punishment"

Started by verticalflight, October 17, 2011, 09:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkman

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on October 20, 2011, 03:55:42 PM
I'd get on board with the dark turquoise.  Hell, anything outside the grayscale would be fine.  Pink, yellow, green, blue, red, whatever.

I mean, come on, I cannot have been the ONLY person who saw that picture and said "Meh."  I mean really, ANOTHER gray one?  

Yeah and you can also argue that point of someone who is doing ANOTHER stock Charger rebuild.
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

MadScientist

I am excited to see what the build produces, but Id be curious to know what the starting car was...

hemi o

:drool5: thats going to be beautiful,  :2thumbs: can't wait to see the end result.

Rolling_Thunder

Hey Vainglory - I see what you're saying...    most new cars and even most resto mods are in the grayscale somewhere ---   I was planning on painting my 69 RR silver but am reconsidering because I have noticed that trend too...       I can't bring myself to paint it pink but I think a interesting color is needed to stand out...      hmmm     decisions decisions...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

472 R/T SE

My wife's SRT 10 is road grime gray.  I happen to like the color, more for the fact it hides dirt & when the wheels are polished up it looks sharp.

At least he isn't painting it some belly button color like most classics, red.

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on October 21, 2011, 07:13:37 PM
My wife's SRT 10 is road grime gray.  I happen to like the color, more for the fact it hides dirt & when the wheels are polished up it looks sharp.

At least he isn't painting it some belly button color like most classics, red.

Hey now. :icon_smile_big:

472 R/T SE

b5blue

Gun Metal Blue like a new weapon that has had the "Bluing treatment". That would set you apart from the pack and kinda tie in to "The Punisher" concept, AKA the movie/comic book. You could even "Weaponize" aspects of the car somehow.  :scratchchin:
  Your doing a very nice job here and I think it's turning out fine.   :2thumbs:

greenpigs

X2

That sounds like a very nice look for the car as it may be more than just grabbing some paint, make your painter earn his\her money!
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

mysil bergsprekken

Nice drawings, seems like quite a promising project....
69 charger RT

verticalflight

b5blue

GT

That's looking really nice!!!

If the quarter isnt welded on yet - do yourself a favor and modify the outer wheel housing to push out the stock crease.  If you lower the car - it'll give you a good 3-4" more clearance/lowering that stock. 
1970 Dodge Charger ==> V10
2012 Charger SRT8

verticalflight

GT, thanks for the advice. That picture was early in the process, they definitely enlarged that area...

Here are some new pics... I went on Friday to do an in-person visit to Port Washington (30 minutes north of Milwaukee). It was great to meet Dave in person, see his amazing shop, and meet his team of experts...

verticalflight

Just wondering what you guys think about putting in a cage? Right now we are leaning towards not doing it. The car will have 620 hp, but will not be raced on a track.

Also we have decided to re-do the front bumper and rear bumper in carbon, and simplify the lines, tighten it up, etc.

djcarguy

:2thumbs:LOVE YOUR CAR  and the way your hiding the radical changes and except wheel\tire and stance and tail light it still has mostly stock look out side,awesome stuff going on here.. what about engine and fire wall set back,or is that secret for later post??

YES to rollbar and safty... like just one visable roof bar,extra strong one??   have you seen the 2 cuda crash and 2 dead guy post latly and several bad charger crash post latly??     these cars were deadly with stock house power and skinny tires back in the day... now more power and traction and twist and flex ,they are very
easy to crash even off the track ,with deadly results.

great car and work going on there ,please post more pics and info..thanks alot  dj

djcarguy

LOve the chrome bumpers helps add some shine and break up too much of one color,, :Twocents:  like the tail light except that backup light in middle,any idea to put in a red lence or red backing behind it to soften and blend it in more, :Twocents:
   it is all looking great and cant wait to see mone..thanks

Charger_Dart

Nicely done, I really like what your doing  :cheers:
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

b5blue

Quote from: verticalflight on November 22, 2011, 10:19:34 AM
Just wondering what you guys think about putting in a cage? Right now we are leaning towards not doing it. The car will have 620 hp, but will not be raced on a track.

Also we have decided to re-do the front bumper and rear bumper in carbon, and simplify the lines, tighten it up, etc.
Your so good at fabrication I could envision a High Tech sort of roll bar/reinforcement, looking more like something aircraft then automotive would be cool.  With the body color you've selected I totally get the bumper concept and can't wait to see how that works into the overall look.  :2thumbs:

Chryco Psycho

I would pass on a cage if you are not racing it , one they can be dangerous to people inside in a crash & it really alters the clean look but it will significantly stiffen the chassis

jb666

I vote yes for a cage..  As for the work, WOW  :drool5:

BB1

Delete my profile

RallyeMike

QuoteI would pass on a cage if you are not racing it , one they can be dangerous to people inside in a crash & it really alters the clean look but it will significantly stiffen the chassis

I agree. If you plan on packing passengers on a lot of street driving, the cage is more dangerous than none. Head hit steel bar = ouch.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: RallyeMike on November 22, 2011, 11:54:38 PM
QuoteI would pass on a cage if you are not racing it , one they can be dangerous to people inside in a crash & it really alters the clean look but it will significantly stiffen the chassis

I agree. If you plan on packing passengers on a lot of street driving, the cage is more dangerous than none. Head hit steel bar = ouch.

The chassis stiffening is great, but the metal bars possibly contacting the head are a big issue.  If you do the cage, you'll need more than just 3 point shoulder belts, and at that point, it becomes pretty impractical for a pure street car.  DAMHIK.

Also, I think the biggest aesthetic drawback to the cage is the fact that the main hoop makes a sort of ersatz B-pillar.  The sports hardtop style of the Charger generally doesn't have a B-pillar, especially when you roll both windows down, and I think that is a great look.  The cage does kind of take away from it.