News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

no reverse after accidently putting car in park while rolling

Started by 1968_Charger, October 17, 2011, 07:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968_Charger

as the title says i accidently put the car in park while rolling and now i have no reverse. when i did it i heard  a real fast gear grinding noise as it came to a stop. i wasnt even going 5 miles an hour, probably more like 1mph. everything else seems to work fine going forwards.

i know there could be several different things broken but what would doing what i did most likely do to it? any ideas? happened to anyone else before? i know i should pull the pan but id like some ideas before i do it. servo seal or band broken more likely?

thanks for any help!  :cheers:

Cooter

Only thing that causes that sound is the parking pawl. All that consists of basically as every trans is a little different, is a cogged gear on the output shaft, and a little piece of metal that clicks into that cogged piece.

No reverse could be a "lever" that fell out possibly from the Low/reverse apply servo...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

flyinlow

The grinding was the parking  pawl skiping along the top of the teeth of the park wheel. Most trans will forgive this at very slow speeds a few times.  On the way to park you went thru reverse at least once ,twice if you moved the shifter back towards neutral when it was grinding. You may have broken the manual low/reverse band.  Manual low should not work either.

Shifter working normally?

Pull the pan ,look for the end of the low band laying in the pan or try to adjust the band .

1968_Charger

ive got a manual valve body and 1st gear seems to work. does that mean the servo blew? if so how do i fix that?

John_Kunkel

Pull the pan and have a look/see; if the rear band was pretty loose to start with, the chattering might have dislodged the rear band link.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.