News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Building the 6 pack and 440 block I bought for the Bird clone

Started by oldcarnut, October 18, 2010, 01:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

Dang the months are just rolling by fast and progress is standing still.  Decided to blow everything off today and get at least something done. Had some cam fit problems http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,84113.0.html earlier and thought I'd plastigage and check my clearances.  Seems nothing has gone just perfectly smooth with this build.  Went to install the last set of rod bearings and found it had left off one of the locking tabs so had to stop and take them back today and order another set.  Seems like a lot of grinding took place for the balance job too especially off the rod ends.  I received the 6qt oil pan and pickup with the valve covers from 440source and got it painted.  Best price I found on them-$120 for both.
Rod brg. clearances were all at about .0018" . #5 was .0015
Mains were the same about .0018" Not quite .002 on the package scale but more than the .0015 so I estimated the .0018
Between the rods are supposed to be .009-.017 but 3 sets were .021-.023 and between rods 5 & 6 was .010.  I hope that will fly but if it's going to be a problem let me know.
Thrust brg. play was .004
I read on a older thread that it was beneficial to file a 45* on one of the #3 brg. halves joint line to aid in a little oiling to the thrust face. Is it still good?
The FSM stated on the #1 main upper bearing half -tab side- was also supposed to have a 45* champher on it to give the timing chain some oil.  None of the new bearings bearings had this.  Is this something else I need to file on it? Lastly what do you guys do about the rod brg. oil V-groove?  Mine didn't have it as shown in the pic so I guess that's one more thing I have to file in too.  Did a search but wasn't able to pull up any info.

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chryco Psycho

notch the brg for oiling , the extra rod side clearance will put more oil up to the cam not a bad thing .What make of brgs ?

RGA

I just saw the post, there is only 1 person I would talk to about building that motor and its Art senior at Six Pack Performance in Albuquerque. Call him at 505-345-8500. He knows everything about building these and has been doing it for ever. I owne a repair shop in albuquerque and I have know art for a long time.

oldcarnut

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 31, 2011, 03:50:49 PM
notch the brg for oiling , the extra rod side clearance will put more oil up to the cam not a bad thing .What make of brgs ?
Thanks, that's a relief
The bearings were all Sealed Power
Rod Bearings-2320CP10
Main Brgs- 4924MA10

Challenger340

I think, that the Clevitte CB527P Rod Bearings still have the Factory Oil squirt holes ?
no matter,
should Oil fine if the Rod side clearance is there.....
Only wimps wear Bowties !

oldcarnut

Thanks, using Pistons- TRW-L2355F30 Speedpro 6pk Pistons and Rings- Sealed Power ZR9224035 Plasma Moly, what should be the best ring gap recommended?

Chryco Psycho

.004 / inch of bore so .018-20
make sure you stagger the ring gaps around the piston when you install them

Challenger340

Quote from: oldcarnut on November 01, 2011, 09:48:18 AM
Thanks, using Pistons- TRW-L2355F30 Speedpro 6pk Pistons and Rings- Sealed Power ZR9224035 Plasma Moly, what should be the best ring gap recommended?

Without a Blower or Nitrous......

just "N/A" then .018"-.020" top & second works well, with plenty of safety for 10-10.5:1 C.R. and 6K rpm
Only wimps wear Bowties !