News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Project from Arkansas on eBay... new one to me!

Started by xs29j8Bullitt, November 06, 2011, 07:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29LA47V21

:eek2:  I like it and likely obtainable wing :drool5: :drool5:.   :eek2:   and just sold my parts car :smilielol: :smilielol: :slap: (joking, it was a good car)  So what is the real ball park for the missing parts need, all the stuff (looks to be rusty deck lid, wing, nose, fender scoops, etc ),  is that 15-20k (but not more than 20k in original pcs?), is that a fair number assuming you find it?  So the values still seem all over the place on of the Daytonas to me, Troy's nice car obtainable :drool5:, the last builder Y2 "apparently went for 72ish :eek2:.  Visual mass hole floor board it seems.   Like Stu's deal on red50 :drool5:0, it seems somewhat like a very wide range on a buyers market on a particular car selling.  ie - Compared to Troys car, why should that Y2 or this car fetch more then 40k if they are going to spend another 70-120 anyway on top of purchase price .  Please explain.

mcode

my opinion, NOT many folks have 120-170k available, nor could many qualify for that bank loan.
To purchase a project for 40,000-70,000 and pay as you go appears to be the logical solution. However, over time--you'll pay far more for that project than you would a turn-key 120,000 daytona.

WINGMAN

I bet it will go for 35k what a POS but it is a real Daytona. Glad i have mine  :icon_smile_big:
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

65post

Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

Aero426

Wow, I have not seen that car in decades.   Such a shame to see how far it has fallen.   It was painted that brown color shortly after being purchased new.    It's located only a few miles from where the original owner was from. 

Aero426

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on November 06, 2011, 09:07:34 PM
:eek2:  I like it and likely obtainable wing :drool5: :drool5:.   :eek2:   and just sold my parts car :smilielol: :smilielol: :slap: (joking, it was a good car)  So what is the real ball park for the missing parts need, all the stuff (looks to be rusty deck lid, wing, nose, fender scoops, etc ),  is that 15-20k (but not more than 20k in original pcs?), is that a fair number assuming you find it?  So the values still seem all over the place on of the Daytonas to me, Troy's nice car obtainable :drool5:, the last builder Y2 "apparently went for 72ish :eek2:.  Visual mass hole floor board it seems.   Like Stu's deal on red50 :drool5:0, it seems somewhat like a very wide range on a buyers market on a particular car selling.  ie - Compared to Troys car, why should that Y2 or this car fetch more then 40k if they are going to spend another 70-120 anyway on top of purchase price .  Please explain.

Pricing on a Daytona project is not linear compared to a restored car.    Someone chasing their dream of a do-it yourself Daytona may spend more to get in the game on a project even though it needs everything.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on November 07, 2011, 09:59:16 AM

Pricing on a Daytona project is not linear compared to a restored car.    Someone chasing their dream of a do-it yourself Daytona may spend more to get in the game on a project even though it needs everything with a little luck splashed in...

:iagree:  

Over the years, I had positioned myself to able to "pull off a Troy-Trade" in order to get a Daytona. But, if I didn't have my former Charger 500 or Hemi Charger Project, I would have only been able to enter the Mopar-aero world via a low dollar major project like this. These Daytonas are like Gutenberg Bibles, there were only so many built, if you want one, you might only be able to grab what you can grab. Sometimes, timing is everything.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

XS29LA47V21

:eek2:  I like it and likely obtainable wing :drool5: :drool5:.   :eek2:   and just sold my parts car :smilielol: :smilielol: :slap: (joking, it was a good car)  So what is the real ball park for the missing parts need, all the stuff (looks to be rusty deck lid, wing, nose, fender scoops, etc ),  is that 15-20k (but not more than 20k in original pcs?), is that a fair number assuming you find it?  So the values still seem all over the place on of the Daytonas to me, Troy's nice car obtainable :drool5:, the last builder Y2 "apparently went for 72ish :eek2:. Visual mass hole floor board it seems.   Like Stu's deal on red50 :drool5:0, it seems somewhat like a very wide range on a buyers market on a particular car selling.  ie - Compared to Troys car, why should that Y2 or this car fetch more then 40k if they are going to spend another 70-120 anyway on top of purchase price .  Please explain.

Pricing on a Daytona project is not linear compared to a restored car.    Someone chasing their dream of a do-it yourself Daytona may spend more to get in the game on a project even though it needs everything.

Ok, I do understand a male's weakness of mind and the way we talk ourselves into .....  Clearly asked, why did that Y2 appear to sell so high?  All I can think of is a person found their old car or they had a real love for a Y2.  I am just saying the money on the table to Troy's car or 3-4 others in the last 18months the Y2 rough builder seemed odd, heck the driver Y2 with the nose molded in did not bid up to that as I recall.  The other question, so is the budget 20k a fair number to obtain all the rare Daytona stuff? 

moparstuart

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on November 07, 2011, 03:48:07 PM
:eek2:  I like it and likely obtainable wing :drool5: :drool5:.   :eek2:   and just sold my parts car :smilielol: :smilielol: :slap: (joking, it was a good car)  So what is the real ball park for the missing parts need, all the stuff (looks to be rusty deck lid, wing, nose, fender scoops, etc ),  is that 15-20k (but not more than 20k in original pcs?), is that a fair number assuming you find it?  So the values still seem all over the place on of the Daytonas to me, Troy's nice car obtainable :drool5:, the last builder Y2 "apparently went for 72ish :eek2:. Visual mass hole floor board it seems.   Like Stu's deal on red50 :drool5:0, it seems somewhat like a very wide range on a buyers market on a particular car selling.  ie - Compared to Troys car, why should that Y2 or this car fetch more then 40k if they are going to spend another 70-120 anyway on top of purchase price .  Please explain.

Ok, I do understand a male's weakness of mind and the way we talk ourselves into .....  Clearly asked, why did that Y2 appear to sell so high?  All I can think of is a person found their old car or they had a real love for a Y2.  I am just saying the money on the table to Troy's car or 3-4 others in the last 18months the Y2 rough builder seemed odd, heck the driver Y2 with the nose molded in did not bid up to that as I recall.  The other question, so is the budget 20k a fair number to obtain all the rare Daytona stuff? 

20 k sound fair but you may have to shop around alittle , and do some work to the parts  your not going to find nos for that , or maybe at all  .   Some of the stuff to load up the nose may have to be aftermarket and hlp doors and fender scoops will be aftermarket also unless you get really lucky 

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Here is what it looked like before the new wore off.    The car was shipped equipped with a six way seat, PW, AM/FM.   As mentioned, it was R4 with a white interior and console.   It was a bad mamajama.  

terrible one

Quote from: Aero426 on November 07, 2011, 08:17:35 PM
Here is what it looked like before the new wore off.    The car was shipped equipped with a six way seat, PW, AM/FM.   As mentioned, it was R4 with a white interior and console.   It was a bad mamajama.  

Wow great picture! It is definitely sad to see it in the state it is in now.  :brickwall: Wonder why the switch from R4 to the brown so early on?  :scratchchin: Interesting color combo at least.

xs29j8Bullitt

Here is what it looked like before the new wore off.

Strange color combo... survived long enough to be registered, then WTH happened?  :rotz:
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Aero426

Quote from: terrible one on November 07, 2011, 08:24:10 PM
Wonder why the switch from R4 to the brown so early on?  

The answer to the early repaint is pretty easy.  Fill in the blank.   Original paint Daytonas often looked like ____? 

terrible one

Quote from: Aero426 on November 07, 2011, 08:35:33 PM

The answer to the early repaint is pretty easy.  Fill in the blank.   Original paint Daytonas often looked like ____?  

You'll have to forgive my ignorance; I'm sure the answer is "shit," just did not know that they had issues. What was it about the paint?  :scratchchin:

Still, kind of weird to switch the color to the brown/ orange combo, though I kind of like it for some reason. I do think I'd rather have red over white though!  :drool5:

Beep Beep Dave

Thanks for taking the time to look for and posting the pic. That is too cool! Thank you again for all you do with these cars!!!

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Aero426

Dave, thank you for the kind words.

Terrible One, yes you are correct.    With all the paint work done after installation of the rear plug, and the new front clip, much of the car was repainted at Creative Industries, and often it left a lot to be desired.   I will elaborate on the color change momentarily.

terrible one

Quote from: Aero426 on November 07, 2011, 10:13:14 PM
Dave, thank you for the kind words.

Terrible One, yes you are correct.    With all the paint work done after installation of the rear plug, and the new front clip, much of the car was repainted at Creative Industries, and often it left a lot to be desired.   I will elaborate on the color change momentarily.

I see, that makes sense.  :yesnod: Looking forward to your post on the color change and I second what Dave said; I love reading your posts and absolutely admire the wealth of information and documentation you've collected.

Aero426

I don't have time at the moment to transcribe the entire letter from the original owner, but here are the high points:

There were two Daytonas at the dealership.  One was black with a white stripe, and this car, R4 with a black stripe and white gut.   He liked the black car because the nose seal was hidden by the black paint and did not look broken up.  What turned him off was the paint on the wing did not match the tape stripe.    That and the body was not prepped for black paint and was wavy and showed dings all over.     The R4 car he "thought" must have been damaged in transit and had been repainted with considerable overspray  on chrome and rubber.   He also got a big discount because of this, and bought it knowing he would repaint it.   (My opinion today is he probably did not realize his car was repainted at Creative and they simply did a poor job - ha!)

OK, so why brown?   You have to think like a young guy in 1970!   He spent several months considering color combinations for the upcoming paint job.   By May of '70 the R4 was peeling off.   He said he was "sick of seeing a red blob with a wing subdued with black".  

He said, and here are his exact words:  "I wanted to tone down the character of the car to become a sporty 'personal' car with a little accent on the design highlights.   My choice was a '64 Plymouth metallic chestnut (a deep rich brown) which contains an orange radiance, dramatically harmonius with the '69 Dodge competition orange used on the stripe/spoiler.   I made a pattern for the letters before removing the old stripe and masked them off when I painted the stripe achieving the same hole in the stripe effect as the factory tape. This (stripe) paint was mixed in semi gloss and adds contrast not only by coloors but reflecting gloss content..."  

So as you can see, the guy put a LOT of thought into his car.  It might look like turd brown today, but it obviously didn't when it was done on day two.   Remember browns and greens were not seen with the stigma they seem to have today.   Not everyone wanted to stand out like a boy racer, and some opted for a little class.  

terrible one

Awesome story and great info. I love the insight! It sure does make me wonder how it got into the shape it is in now though!  :shruggy:

THANKS for sharing!  :2thumbs:

xs29j8Bullitt

Thanks for the background story Doug... actually makes a reasonable argument for the color change... still would not have changed it tho...
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

6PakBee

Quote from: Beep Beep Dave on November 06, 2011, 06:46:00 PM
Well lets see missing all the important Daytona stuff, most of its floorpan sheetmetal, and now the fender tag too. Car is basically a wreck...AND I still look at it and think its a cool Daytona. What is wrong with me :brickwall:

I figured it might have got bid up to $40k before the lastest info came out...I will say $34,500 now.

I promised myself the next time I buy an old Mopar it will be a nice original or a done car....

Dave

It's at about $28K with four days left so you may not be far off on the price.

tan top

Quote from: Aero426 on November 07, 2011, 10:37:13 PM
I don't have time at the moment to transcribe the entire letter from the original owner, but here are the high points:

There were two Daytonas at the dealership.  One was black with a white stripe, and this car, R4 with a black stripe and white gut.   He liked the black car because the nose seal was hidden by the black paint and did not look broken up.  What turned him off was the paint on the wing did not match the tape stripe.    That and the body was not prepped for black paint and was wavy and showed dings all over.     The R4 car he "thought" must have been damaged in transit and had been repainted with considerable overspray  on chrome and rubber.   He also got a big discount because of this, and bought it knowing he would repaint it.   (My opinion today is he probably did not realize his car was repainted at Creative and they simply did a poor job - ha!)

OK, so why brown?   You have to think like a young guy in 1970!   He spent several months considering color combinations for the upcoming paint job.   By May of '70 the R4 was peeling off.   He said he was "sick of seeing a red blob with a wing subdued with black".  

He said, and here are his exact words:  "I wanted to tone down the character of the car to become a sporty 'personal' car with a little accent on the design highlights.   My choice was a '64 Plymouth metallic chestnut (a deep rich brown) which contains an orange radiance, dramatically harmonius with the '69 Dodge competition orange used on the stripe/spoiler.   I made a pattern for the letters before removing the old stripe and masked them off when I painted the stripe achieving the same hole in the stripe effect as the factory tape. This (stripe) paint was mixed in semi gloss and adds contrast not only by coloors but reflecting gloss content..."  

So as you can see, the guy put a LOT of thought into his car.  It might look like turd brown today, but it obviously didn't when it was done on day two.   Remember browns and greens were not seen with the stigma they seem to have today.   Not everyone wanted to stand out like a boy racer, and some opted for a little class.  

:coolgleamA: good story !! made for intresting reading ! thanks for sharing  :cheers: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: tan top on November 08, 2011, 07:34:57 AM
Quote from: Aero426 on November 07, 2011, 10:37:13 PM

There were two Daytonas at the dealership.  One was black with a white stripe, and this car, R4 with a black stripe and white gut.   He liked the black car because the nose seal was hidden by the black paint and did not look broken up.  What turned him off was the paint on the wing did not match the tape stripe.    That and the body was not prepped for black paint and was wavy and showed dings all over.     The R4 car he "thought" must have been damaged in transit and had been repainted with considerable overspray  on chrome and rubber.   He also got a big discount because of this, and bought it knowing he would repaint it.   (My opinion today is he probably did not realize his car was repainted at Creative and they simply did a poor job - ha!)

OK, so why brown?   You have to think like a young guy in 1970!   He spent several months considering color combinations for the upcoming paint job.   By May of '70 the R4 was peeling off.   He said he was "sick of seeing a red blob with a wing subdued with black".    

He said, and here are his exact words:  "I wanted to tone down the character of the car to become a sporty 'personal' car with a little accent on the design highlights.   My choice was a '64 Plymouth metallic chestnut (a deep rich brown) which contains an orange radiance, dramatically harmonius with the '69 Dodge competition orange used on the stripe/spoiler.   I made a pattern for the letters before removing the old stripe and masked them off when I painted the stripe achieving the same hole in the stripe effect as the factory tape. This (stripe) paint was mixed in semi gloss and adds contrast not only by coloors but reflecting gloss content..." 

So as you can see, the guy put a LOT of thought into his car.  It might look like turd brown today, but it obviously didn't when it was done on day two.   Remember browns and greens were not seen with the stigma they seem to have today.   Not everyone wanted to stand out like a boy racer, and some opted for a little class.   

:coolgleamA: good story !! made for intresting reading ! thanks for sharing  :cheers: :2thumbs:

Agreed!  Also agree with the appreication for Doug's tireless efforts!   :notworthy: :notworthy:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: Aero426 on November 07, 2011, 08:35:33 PM

The answer to the early repaint is pretty easy.  Fill in the blank.   Original paint Daytonas often looked like ____? 

Oh come now, the original owner of my car liked it so much he wrote a letter to Chrysler...

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

nascarxx29

Still there on ebay .Seems like the burnt out TX car was a quicker sale :Twocents:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701