News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Project from Arkansas on eBay... new one to me!

Started by xs29j8Bullitt, November 06, 2011, 07:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

TheAutoArchaeologist

If that thing is going for almost 30k... then I think I'm SOL on that Orange Datyona I found... just crazy.

Ryan

FJ5WING

Quote from: Davtona on November 06, 2011, 04:11:18 PM
Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on November 06, 2011, 01:04:09 PM

Yes, but what does everyone think of the condition.... i.e. how hard would it be to restore?

Frame rail showing thru front floor pan Allen. Hope thats not a sign of what the rest of the car is like. I'll bet golf balls won't stay in the trunk of this one.

I tried getting a guy to sell me a Daytona that wouldnt hold footballs, :eek2: No dice! original owner that wanted to drive it until it died or he died. This was in 1987 and the guy moved away. I havent been able to Columbo his ass and find out where he went.
wingless now, but still around.

held1823

Quote from: FJ5WING on November 10, 2011, 02:26:59 PM
I tried getting a guy to sell me a Daytona that wouldnt hold footballs, :eek2: No dice! original owner that wanted to drive it until it died or he died. This was in 1987 and the guy moved away. I havent been able to Columbo his ass and find out where he went.

perhaps someone made some notes on it, somewhere
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

nascarxx29

I looked at daytona and superbirds in the NJ PA area got any detail color owners name location.I recall a few ever see the one from king of prussia pa
Wonder were this car ended up it was Jay Barleys its vin should be XX29L9B400586

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Beep Beep Dave

Looks like she sold for $45k  :o
Good money for the car, someone has their work cut out for themselves.
From the way the auction went do you think the reserve was $45k?

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

TheAutoArchaeologist

There is no way that thing is work 45,000.  No way.

Something smells fishy.

BigBlockSam

people are nuts . who knows what that car is going to look like  after you blast it   :shruggy:  and so much important stuff missing
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Tim L

Daytona projects certainly are in a market of their own. To be able to get a hold of a project one is a feat in itself. I guess when/if the opportunity arises people are willing to pay that bit more than most would think. This makes us feel good about our project looking at what's included in the sale and the state of the economy ATM. Well done to who ever the proud new owner is and good luck. Hopfully the car gets the resto it deserves.

Tim
JS23N0E
BS23H1B
XX29L9B381541

held1823

i've spent more money for a hell of a lot less over the years, and bet im not alone. if the bid was legitimate and the sale is completed, someone will own what is likely their dream car. the buyer will have a real, 1 of only 500, made daytona. how many of the people questioning the buyer's wisdom can lay claim to owning one of the other 499?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69charger2002

i was watching it.. the guy put in a bid with 3 seconds left, he may have put in 45k he may have put in 65k, we'll never know. but the 45k bid is definitely what the reserve price by the way the auction jumped to exactly that amount. the previous high bidder's max was 30k. I was seriously considering bidding, but would have never gone close to 45k anyway, so it's for the better.
Trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

BigBlockSam

held1823

Quote from: 69charger2002 on November 13, 2011, 10:28:21 AM
i was watching it.. the guy put in a bid with 3 seconds left, he may have put in 45k he may have put in 65k, we'll never know. but the 45k bid is definitely what the reserve price by the way the auction jumped to exactly that amount. the previous high bidder's max was 30k. I was seriously considering bidding, but would have never gone close to 45k anyway, so it's for the better.
Trav

when i sell something on ebay, i hate the anxiety caused by this type of bid sniping, but last second bidding is the smart way to buy anything listed there. why get into a weeklong peeing match over who is high bidder halfway through the auction? it doesn't apply so much to high reserve items like this car, but it can often times save the buyer a lot of money, just being patient until the bidding actually matters.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

BigBlockSam

Quotebut it can often times save the buyer a lot of money, just being patient until the bidding actually matters.

:yesnod: i try to bid with about 5 seconds left

wingcarenvy

I think $45k was reasonable. I hope the person who bid on it looked at it first. i may be way off base but if one was to buy it for that amount and then pay someone $100k to restore it then you have $145k in a car you know is done right. I agree the no fender tag or buildsheet is a bummer but after all is said and done its a real Daytona. I hope who ever bought it finds us and shares the resto with us.

Aero426

Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 13, 2011, 11:56:12 AM
it doesn't even have a fender tag.  :shruggy:

Daytona Superbird Auto Club has a copy of the window sticker and advanced shipping notice provided by the original owner in 1978.  So the lack of a fender tag is something of a non-issue.  All the relevant option codes. s/o number etc from the fender tag are present.

If the bid was real, 45k is plenty.   I figured it would do close to 40k.     

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: 69charger2002 on November 13, 2011, 10:28:21 AM
Trav
I was the 30k bidder.    Just like Doug said, the fender tag missing was a non issue since we have the cars information.   I also have all the missing Daytona specific parts so that was not a issue either for me.    That car is a 100k job to make right.  So that was my max.   Someone had bid the day before 60 or 65k and retracted their bid.  I had got an email from eBay notifying me that the reserve was met and I was not the high bidder.    Same here, 45k was way more than I was willing to spend for her.   
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

nascarxx29

I wasnt aware untill I got emailed this daytonas significance

This car is the "Petroleum Advertising Car" from Arkansas' Carl Noble. Factory power windows, rear defog, rear speaker. Also has a power deck lid release. Miles = 92,500 in 1976. One of the original cars registered in the club.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Davtona

Quote from: Devil on November 13, 2011, 12:42:17 AM
There is no way that thing is work 45,000.  No way.

Somebody thinks it is. Good luck to him.

Quote from: Tim L on November 13, 2011, 01:35:00 AM
Daytona projects certainly are in a market of their own. To be able to get a hold of a project one is a feat in itself.

Well said. Its all relative. A little more $ and he has the car. That's the hard part. Those of us that remember when they were worth 10k and the guy wanted 15k all wish we had bought the car back then don't we. But 15k seemed like to much at the time. They will always seem expensive at the time I think.

BigBlockSam

QuoteSo the lack of a fender tag is something of a non-issue

really,  .  the missing fender tag is a big issue if your gonna resell the car . a car with a fender tag is worth more then a car without one . any way you look at it . c-mon guys that's just the truth .  :slap:

held1823

Does it always come back to money, instead of a true appreciation for what these cars should be about?  Is it too much to accept that some owners don't give a rat's behind about value? No one knows who the bidder is, so who is to say that future resell value is even a concern of theirs? Maybe the person has some past history with the particular car. Maybe $45,000 is every dime they could muster to obtain a daytona. Or maybe they have dollar bills coming out of their butt and money is simply not an objective. Regardless of the reason, the person now owns a real daytona. DSAC has documentation of how the car should be. Granted, the fender tag would be a nice addition, but is this any less of a daytona without it?  
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

BigBlockSam

QuoteDoes it always comes back to money, instead of a true appreciation for what these cars should be about?

i agree big time .these cars were meant to be driven . not an f-ing trailer queen that goes from garage to shows back to the garage. not what they where meant to be . how many driver daytona's or superbirds you see out there . there money cars , that's what we've made then to be  and this car is lacking . every car i've built has been scratching penny's to get them done . i understand that, i live that and my cars are no slouches . i would not sell them . they are  numbers matching engines and trannys and more  but there drivers and i'll do an  burn out or power slide with the anytime. that's  what these cars were  to be drivers . not perfect beauty queens  but when it comes down to superbirds and daytona's . you guys want them perfect . original everything . big bucks.  which this car has none. everything is missing . it will never be original .

yep, clones suck don't they . but if it wasn't for clones kids now a day will never see i wing car . there off at a fancy indoor show some where . where  they won't get wet in the rain .  :Twocents:

Aero426

Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 13, 2011, 11:37:01 PM

but if it wasn't for clones kids now a day will never see i wing car . there off at a fancy indoor show some where . where  they won't get wet in the rain .  :Twocents:

Not True.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on November 14, 2011, 09:25:57 AM
Quote from: BigBlockSam on November 13, 2011, 11:37:01 PM

but if it wasn't for clones kids now a day will never see i wing car . there off at a fancy indoor show some where . where  they won't get wet in the rain .  :Twocents:

Not True.

:iagree:  Don't baby mine too much..................   Just hangin' out..........  :icon_smile_big:

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

70Sbird

and sometimes REAL Superbirds that get driven get caught in the snow too!!
:yesnod:

Scott Faulkner