News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Australian Petty Blue Superbird Restoration

Started by rickroadrunner, November 06, 2011, 08:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozcuda67

G Day Rick, you've never been good at technology. Here's a photo I took of your car.

pettybird

I get chills just looking at it--awesome to see another 999 car! 

rainbow4jd

Quote from: ozcuda67 on November 17, 2011, 11:46:03 PM
G Day Rick, you've never been good at technology. Here's a photo I took of your car.

Now we know more about Rick than perhaps he wanted shared!    :cheers:

Welcome, Rick's friend!

rickroadrunner

In the future, maybe I'll have to check for cameras before entering my workshop!!!

tan top

Quote from: ozcuda67 on November 17, 2011, 11:46:03 PM

:coolgleamA:  ........... :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

CornDogsCharger

Welcome to the board. Awesome car. Good to see another one brought out of the wood works. Keep us updated. We all love to see the progress on these cars as they are restored.

Hey maxwellwedge, great info on the valve covers. I always wondered what that was.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

rainbow4jd

Has anyone ever thought of putting together a restoration pictorial?

I think you would have to segment the car (kind of like they do in the archeological digs) - so that each area of the car was well organized.   Then you could post photos of original cars or cars in partial repair in that segment

For example....

Segment 367: Trunk opening - 7 photos
1) Bare opening - no weather stripping left side
2) Bare opening - no weather stripping right side
3) Bare opening - full view
4) Stamping number example 1
5) Stamping number example 2
6) Weather stripping
7) Weather stripping close up of seam

rickroadrunner

I think I have managed to re size photos. attached is picture of markings on RH valve cover

Bob T

Welcome Rick, and My what a find you have there, well done  :drool5:
Looking forward to seeing more pics of the resto

:cheers:

Bob ( NZ )
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

rickroadrunner

I am currently restoring the hood. on the underside on the leading edge near the nose cone, there is a small rectangular hole and dent.
Should this rectangular hole be there, or has somebody just slammed the hood shut with a tool of some description left there which punched a hole. picture attached

rickroadrunner

Thought I better keep in  touch as to the progress. As the vehicle is being stripped, there are not many glorious photos to post. The front sheetmetal is off and being metal finished.
I am extremely happy with the condition of the body work from a rust point of view. I have found no rust whatsoever so far. Attached is a photo of the inner fender after paint stripping with a clean and strip disc. All sheetmetal is being hand stripped, not blasted, to ensure the integrity of the steel for metal finishing. As you would all know, this is normally a favourite spot for rust. Both fenders are like this, so I'm pretty pleased so far.

GULFGLENY

rickroadrunner

I am about to remove the rear glass. Rear stainless is in perfect condition, so will arrange an expert so I don't bend it at all!
Any suggestions about the glass removal? Thanks

maxwellwedge

Go slow!  Front - Lots and lots of dish soap. Go slow!   :lol:

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

pettybird

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 10, 2012, 09:49:00 PM
Go slow!  Front - Lots and lots of dish soap. Go slow!   :lol:

it also helps to have an assistant, and from my experience neither of us breathed until the glass was resting safely on soft towels. 

rickroadrunner

The 'Bird now has all interior and glass out, just the dash and drive train to go. The hood and fenders are being worked on at the moment.
I mentioned earlier that the car was believed to have been located in Central America around 1989-90.
Upon removing the interior I found a 1959 El Salvador coin under the passenger seat!!
So the story was true!
It would be interesting to know how long it was down there. It must be the most traveled Superbird ever!
Also, need to match the paint, does anybody have the code for 999 corporation blue? I want to make up a sample and see how it matched the existing paint.
I also mentioned recently I am in need of a R/H wing washer, does anybody have one or have any contacts where I could chase one up/
Thanks

pettybird

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner--I read your PM and got busy at work.

Here is the original PPG color code for Corporation Blue:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?image=1968-plymouth-pg01.jpg

It's on the 1967 and 1968 sheets.  I don't think your paint store will be able to mix based on that code, though.  I would have them scan your car and tint the paint until it matches.  Make sure you keep the formula!

I would definitely do base/clear paint, as well.

rickroadrunner

The 'Bird is progressing nicely. These are shots from last week. Car is currently on the rack squaring everything up. Very happy that there was no rust in any panels, just plenty of dents to metal finish. My body guy is working 3 days a week on it , so it should progress well over the next few months.
I have been dealing with Dave at Roseville Moparts, got to say he has been good to deal with.

rickroadrunner

Shot from the front. About to color match the paint from  the R/h door , as door panel and rubbers have never been off, so paint match should be good.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

nascarxx29

158632 what I could find on its past history Franscisco Toledo Pacioma Ca.If the car originally sold in Ca the dealer ads included the vin .Any idea what dealer its was from find anyhing on or with the car.Interesting how you found a El Salvador coin in it .Never know where these cars traveled before. But sometimes you get more pieces to its past puzzle when you start a search
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,90145.0.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

rainbow4jd

Rick, just a note on restoration.

It appears that you've left the rear window plug intact as part of your restoration.    That may or may not prove to be a problem later on.

I made the decision to remove the window plug and I am glad I did.   Underneath was tons of rust as the metal was never prepped or even primered from the factory.   They apparently took the bare shell to Creative Industries and Creative welded in the window plug - without ever doing any protective work.  Then, the car was shipped to primer and paint.

Left untreated or unaddressed, my window plug would have rusted from the inside out, with most of the rust eating into the thinnest part of the plug, the window channels.

It does sound like you have a pretty rust free car and may not ever have to worry about it - but I just wanted to give you a heads up on what I found with my car.

pettybird

Quote from: rainbow4jd on April 18, 2012, 08:32:34 PM
They apparently took the bare shell to Creative Industries and Creative welded in the window plug - without ever doing any protective work.  Then, the car was shipped to primer and paint.

Good advice aside, Lynch Rd installed the 'bird plugs, and the cars never went to Creative.  Chrysler only dipped a car to the tops of the headlights (about) and nothing above it was protected in any way...