News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cub / Boy Scounts. Is anyone involved in the program?

Started by 1970Moparmann, November 12, 2011, 09:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

First off, let me say that I was involved with the program from the early beginning (1st grade) through Junior year in High School.   Then for the last three years I have been active in my kids Pack.  

Three years ago when my son, and I joined, the Pack for the school he belongs to, it was terrible.  Communication wise, operational wise, enthusiasm wise, lack of structure, on and on and on.   Many of us were concerned, stepped up and we were able to make it what it is today - larger, more structured, FUN, more activities for the boys, and by the way, it has been growing year after year because of the hard work done by 8 people.  

Well, our Charter organization changed a year ago, and these two guys (Committee Chair, and Charter Representative) came in and have been making changes by asking our Cub Master and Secretary to step down.  These two people have both put in the most time into the pack and have been the glue to what it is today.

After being objective and getting all the facts, the "two guys"  have lied in my face about what happened.   They handled this as poorly as possible, and now the two people that were asked to step down, have left the pack.   They are two females, and are taking this really bad because they feel it represents failure to the kids, friends in Scouting, and the community.  

I know these two guys have a hidden agenda and by the way, now our new Cub Master is one of the "two guys" daughter.  

Out of the original leaders (from 3 years ago), (5) of them have the same opinion as me.  (1) are neutral, and the other (2) I think had a personality issue with the old Cub Master (chick versus chick thing).

WHY DO PEOPLE SIT ON THEIR HANDS AND NOT DO ANYTHING??   I cannot believe how people are not standing up for what they believe.   This makes me disgusted more and more.

Then, to make this worst, I keep going higher and higher in our council and everyone is taking a back seat approach.  It is that much of a business now a days??

Just wanted to get your opinion.  

Being a leader, it is hard for me to teach my boys in this pack how they need to follow rules, when our two leaders don't.  

I feel better now...... This pisses me off so much.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

elacruze

My studied and politically incorrect opinion is that Cub and Boy Scouts should be male-run organizations with women supporting at their discretion and direction. I believe that boys of scouting age should have specific role models, and women do not fulfill those models appropriately.

No discussion to follow.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

BananaDan

I have to say I agree with elacruze.  I was in the Boy Scouts when I was a kid through high school and got my Eagle Scout in 1992.  The experiences I gained in those years both from the older boys in my troop as role models, as well as the scoutmasters that were involved, all have a lot to do with the person I am today. 
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

ACUDANUT

My wife (Girls scout leader) just quit the Girlscouts, after the (organization) wanted them to send home a package that was all about being a Lesbian and self satisfaction. NO JOKE.  Try explaining that to a 9 year old. :brickwall: :icon_smile_angry: :icon_smile_dissapprove:

1970Moparmann

Quote from: elacruze on November 12, 2011, 09:56:42 AM
My studied and politically incorrect opinion is that Cub and Boy Scouts should be male-run organizations with women supporting at their discretion and direction. I believe that boys of scouting age should have specific role models, and women do not fulfill those models appropriately.

No discussion to follow.

I do agree with this also.   The "new" Cub Master" is another woman..... 

I just hate how this came about.

I'm checking into another Pack and am going to see how it is ran and make a decision.   We have two schools in my neighborhood so it wouldn't as much of a change for my son, if I did go this route.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 12, 2011, 10:51:39 AM
My wife (Girls scout leader) just quit the Girlscouts, after the (organization) wanted them to send home a package that was all about being a Lesbian and self satisfaction. NO JOKE.  Try explaining that to a 9 year old. :brickwall: :icon_smile_angry: :icon_smile_dissapprove:

This is shocking!!!! :o  Holy crap.... 

So much politically correct crap is hitting everywhere!   But, I see this also as if people don't stand up to this crap, it will only continue.   I guess I'm a minority in this issue.  :shruggy:

bobs66440

My boy (now 13) was a Cub Scout from the beginning and I was an asst. den leader. Took all the necessary training and safety courses, etc.

We had a similar situation as you. The Husband/Wife couple that ran it when we joined were awesome. They ran it very well and kept it fun for the boys with a LOT of camping. When their boys aged out, they naturally followed and became (still are) Boy Scout leaders. They continue now with the enthusiastic program that focuses on camping, which is what most of the boys enjoy.

The new cub scout leader (male) that stepped in seemed ok at first, but soon proved to be a disaster. He was totally disorganized, non-responsive and completely incompetent. Worse, he completely ignored all the great advice the previous leader wanted to give and basically insulted him by giving him the boot and saying "I'll do it my way, thank you! Bye!".  Well, he did it his way and the pack quickly went from over 90 scouts to around 60. His crappy attitude had a lot to do with my son (and many others) wanting to quit, which he did shortly thereafter.

As far as women being leaders, I completely support it as long as they set a positive example. I understand the whole idea of a male roll model, and I agree as long as they are good leaders. But I'll take a good female leader over a bad male one any day. I don't know about other areas, but here, if it wasn't for the female leaders, there would be no cub scout organization. They are generally the backbone of the program and play a huge part in it's success. The reason why I became a leader is because the leader of my son's den was a single mother with a lot on her plate. I stepped in to help so that the boys could continue to have the positive experience they enjoyed up until then, but she was the main driving force that really kept it going.

I applaud you 1970Moparmann for taking the initiative to try to make it a better experience for the boys. Unfortunately, there are always people that want to come in and screw things up. I know it doesn't make you feel better, but know you're not alone. It happens all over.

skip68

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 12, 2011, 10:51:39 AM

Holy cow!!!! Our daughter is in brownies and that same age! If i see anything like that being sent home, it may push me over to having her quit. Not to mention our troop nickles and dimes you every week! Our troop leader has too much going on in her life like, vfw, quannas, food banks, 4h, among other things. She comes to our meetings and doesnt seem to even know what day it is sometimes. She really depends on me and my good friend to assist/take charge of all the creative projects. I dont mind that, but she just doesnt think  things through, and its  frustrating. Oh btw: this lady doesnt even have kids! She is a good person though. Really hope i dont receive that info.
Mrs.skip68
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

flyinlow

Sorry to hear you are having this kind of problem with your fellow Leaders. My wife and I have been involved In our sons Troop for over a decade . CubScout field trips all the way thru Philmont and Boundary Waters. There have been a few differences of opinion , mostly with non leader parents who thought we were providing baby sitting services, but we have also become very good friends with many of the other adult leaders. It's a great organization for teaching citizenship and developing leadership skills in young men, especially in activities like Philmont with the scouts themselves planning and leading the troop's adventure.

Hope you are able to resolve matters.

1970Moparmann

The list is growing in terms of people that are really frustrated with this. :2thumbs:   I'm not happy that this is happened, but I am that more and more people are standing up and expressing thoughts and opinions.   

We have a Pack meeting this week and still debating if I'm going to attend. 

I gave my  :Twocents: yesterday expressing that they (new Cub Master and Committee members) need to bring up what happened in front of the parents and boys and think this correctly before they speak.    I'm not hoping for open forum debate, just that since they made this decision, they address it with the parents and boys.  I'm tired of getting phone calls, having conversation about this, while the ones that made this decision are hiding thinking this is going to go away without any involvement from themselves.