News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi Re-Creations going for over $100,000 @ BJ???

Started by 69Charger500, January 19, 2006, 08:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Charger500

I just don't get it.  The '67 Plymouth that sold the other day was gorgeous, but $110,000 for a 440 powered car with a Hemi transplant?

And this 500 with no picture shown is listed at $129,995.  It says it was also a 440 car with a 426 Crate Hemi installed.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=183997

So for $15,000 or so dollars and a weekend's worth of work, I can increase the value of my car by $70,000 to $90,000?

I'm calling to order my crate Hemi today!  Talk about bang-for-the-buck!

69_500

It gets crazier every day. I didn't understand the GTX with the transplanted HEMI going for over $100K especially when the true HEMI GTX went for a little over half of that. Doesn't add up.

greenpigs

Who knows, we should all start collecting Aspens maybe they would leave Chargers alone if they think those are the HOT Mopars to own.

Aspens can be nice drag cars...thats about it.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Blown70

Well I think it is the wording. I mean original. ....... Recreation just sounds so much better :icon_smile_dead:

RECREATION,  ohhhh I gotta have one...wait it says HEMI too... I am in.....pass me another beer..... I am drunk, old, and have way to much money.... and I am not that birght.......

RT DAVE

I remember people at the '04 nats complaining about a line of REAL hemi b-bodies priced at $125K each.   Makes that seem like a steal now.  Damn...
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Pistolpete

On a different note - is that T3 paint on the 500 in your pic??
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

67_Dodge_Charger

All it takes is alcolhol and a huge ego.  Two bidders wanted the same car.   :rotz:

It is a shame that the numbers GTX sold for about half the price but that is what is expected from a car that is not restored.  The numbers GTX had body and paint issues.  The recreation was a nice clean car.  I would like to now what year the block was.

Hmm.  Maybe I will folllow suit and add a hemi to my 67 Charger. 

Maybe not. ::)

-Robert

Old Moparz

I sure as hell don't get it. There has to be a group of people with a lot of money to burn along with the "I HAVE TO HAVE IT RIGHT NOW" attitude. It would be cheaper to buy a beautiful car of your choice & swap a Hemi into it. The prices are so nuts I may seriously consider a crate Hemi for one of my cars. This way, if some desperate lunatic with a large bank roll catches me at a show or cruise on a day I don't want my car, at least I'll make some money.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Charger Aficionado

Yeah I bet ol' B.J. had a bunch of beer trucks there...  I saw a bunch of dudes downing suds there...  I think with $60 k I could have had that '69 HEMI car painted VERY NICE.

MichaelRW

Someone mentioned it in another thread but when an amphicar goes for over $100,000 I have just 2 words for the BJ prices:

Sheer lunacy!!!  :image_294343:
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

69_500

Its crazy, makes me wonder what the price will be for the 69 Charger 500 that is going to be up for auction, or heck even the HEMI race Daytona. I'm guessing the Daytona will clear $1 milliion pretty easy. I also think the HEMI Cuda convert will possibly even hit $4 Million if there are enough bidders there for the car.

69Charger500

Mine shown in the picture above is T5.  I spent the morning pricing out both a 426 and a 528, and everything needed to bolt it together.  Looks like this: Note: (the formatting got a little screwed up when I copied & pasted)
$14,983.75   $16,802.70
426                            528

Description   Supplier   Phone Number   Price (426)   Price (528)
426 Crate Hemi   Monicatti CP   586-977-1700   $11,718.00   
528 Crate Hemi      586-977-1700      $13,593.00

Intake Manifold-Inline 2x4   MRE   586-790-4100   $549.95   
Intake Manifold-Cross Ram 2x4   MRE   586-790-4100      $649.95

Carbs-Edelbrock 600cfm elec (2)   MRE   586-790-4100   $499.90   
Carbs-Edelbrock 750cfm elec (2)   MRE   586-790-4100      $563.90

Air Cleaner   Classic Haulage   905-655-3943   $399.00   

Schumacher Mounts   Schumacher   206-364-7151   $250.00   $250.00

TTI Headers Ceramic 2 1/4"   TTI         
   MRE   586-790-4100      $838.00

Manifolds   MRE   586-790-4100   $650.00   

TTI Exhaust-Manifolds 3"   TTI         
   MRE   586-790-4100   $659.00   

TTI Exhaust-Headers 3"   TTI         
   MRE   586-790-4100      $610.00

Overdrive Unit   Passon   570-401-8949      

Nameplates   Year One   800-Year One   $37.95   $37.95

Passenger Side Mirror   Jack's Auto   732-431-8050   $134.95   $134.95

Tach Rebuild   Real Time Engineering   479-756-2757   $85.00   $85.00
   Resto by Julius   818-882-2825      

Brake Lines            

Pistol Grip   Harms   801-940-2689      

Offset Master Cylinder???            

Upper Radiator Hose   Year One   800-Year One      

Lower Radiator Hose   Year One   800-Year One      

Clutch   McLeod         

New Spare Wheel 15x7            
New Spare Tire BFG TA 235-60-15   Discount Tire         

Cross Ram throttle Cable   MRE         $39.95

$14,983.75   $16,802.70
         426                       528

69Charger500

I agree about the real hemi GTX, although they didn't say if it was numbers matching.  How can they (BJ) stand there and nit pick a real Hemi car just because it is not fully restored.  It is not like the guy was trying to win a car show with it or claim it was a 100 point car.  It was just for sale.

i thought that price was a lot more down to earth than the others, although still way out my pocketbook range.

And they said it would have cost more to restore it than the Re-Creation sold for...   I say BS, unless you have to farm the whole thing out.  I could restore that car to exceptional condition for $20K.  Maybe $30k tops.  I've done it before for about $15K starting with a pretty good car...

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: 69_500 on January 19, 2006, 04:54:48 PM
Its crazy, makes me wonder what the price will be for the 69 Charger 500

The price for the 500 is SET at 129k.  It will Not be auctioned on the block.  It is in a "Showroom" there for sale as a consignment.  Here is it's purchase price:  http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=183997

Big Lebowski

Wow, keep my fingers off the sell it now button. :icon_smile_big:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Mike DC

--  1.  Purchase a nice 68-70 B-body or 70-71 E-body with good fit & finish.

--  2.  Paint & redo it as a flashier & more well-optioned hi-po car, but be careful to keep everything technically factory-correct for that year.

--  3.  Add a crate Hemi & the necessary mechanicals.

--  4.  Sell it for $100K at B-J.

--  Optional:  Switch the VIN tags for a real R/T or 'Cuda.  (No Hemi'Cuda convertibles.  Must be a common enough model not to get you caught).  Collect an extra 25% profit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Redneck restorers rebuilding old musclecars, and using this ability to horribly rip off rich guys failing to impress their trophy wives at car auctions.  "Class warfare" at its finest.

I'd be pissed off if this Hemi feeding-frenzy were ruining the hobby for the little guys as usual, but in this case I'm not sure it's so very harmful.  If these morons think a cloned Hemi is as valuable as an original one, and the Hemi motors can be bought brand-new . . . what's the harm?  I don't really LIKE seeing them dropping $100K on Hemi clones, but on the other hand it sure beats having to bid against these same rich guys for $16,000 383 Chargers on Ebay.  For once they're overspending on something that we normal people can make a few more of.

Ghoste

Charger Aficionado

Old Moparz

True, you may not be bidding against the 6 figure crowd on a 383 Charger listed on ebay, but you might be bidding against a common flipper. Someone who is who is actually putting the crate Hemi in it for the 6 figure guy at next year's BJ circus. If he knows he can get $100,000 or more, for a $30,000 car with a $15,000  to $25,000 improvement, he'll be quicker to bid higher & beat you. The average person in the hobby is still going to suffer from higher prices in the end.

I will admit I made 2 purchases in the last 2 years that I wouldn't have made 5 or 6 years ago. One of the main reasons I wouldn't have, was the prices of both cars. The effect of the cars being potentially more valuable made it a little easier to decide on forking over the money. Now I didn't buy any show cars for mega bucks, but I did spend more for 2 non running cars than I ever imagined I would. One was my '71 Barracuda, & the other was my almost finished, '70 Road Runner.

I should yank the Barracuda's motor & get a crate Hemi just in case.  :icon_smile_big:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Ghoste

I know a guy who after several decades as a Corvette "fan", woke up one morning and decided he loves Mopars.  He loved them so much, he started going to all the Mopar shows and buying Barracuda stuff.  Next thing you know, he started a business, buying Barracudas, paying someone to do a quick body and paint, paying someone else to drop in a Crate Hemi and then flipping them by auction.
When the Crate Hemi supply dried up he tried to get into Max Wedge cloning but quickly found out those guys were actual car fans and there was no money in fake cars.  He bitched about being squeezed into having to deal with real cars because DCX wasn't making Crate Hemi's but now the supply is back up and he is too.  Great joy in cloneland and he now specializes in phoney Hemi E-body verts.

69_500

Well all I can say is there is a sucker born every minute. That is what goes through my mind when I see clone cars going for $100K plus.

Its crazy.

Is anyone from here at BJ? Was wanting a picture of the C500 if anyone is there. Just to know which car it was for sale.