News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brickyard 400 Aero Cars 2012

Started by Aero426, November 22, 2011, 10:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Just got a call from Indianapolis Motor Speedway.   They would like to repeat the Brickyard 400 event.   Dates would be July 27, 28, 29.    There will be two more races during the weekend at IMS,  a Nationwide race on Sat, and a Rolex Grand-Am race on Friday on the road course.     

What are your thoughts?     

How many of you would return?

Would your attendance prevent you from attending the Colorado meet one month earlier?

What can be done to improve the event from last year?

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on November 22, 2011, 10:46:10 AM

What can be done to improve the event from last year?

Faster parade laps or solo out there.. Call me spoiled now......  :D

I'll try, but can't promise due to cost of life throughout the year.

Thanks for updating and passing this on.....

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

I'd be up for it .  more track time is always great ?  I 'm sure with more races , track time will be less  ??   Also would they have space for us if they are using the road course friday  ??
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Highbanked Hauler

Troy, I wonder what it would cost to rent a track for a couple of hours, then we could run some calculated laps..  I have to think it would be pricey and God forbid if we ever wrecked insurance wouldn't cover it. :'(    Al
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

41husk

I had a great time and would do it again!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

CornDogsCharger

I bet there won't be any hot laps, as cool as it would be. Too much of a liability. I'd like to make it out to another wing car gathering.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

pettybird

we could probably be convinced to return with one car.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on November 22, 2011, 12:00:39 PM
Troy, I wonder what it would cost to rent a track for a couple of hours, then we could run some calculated laps..  I have to think it would be pricey and God forbid if we ever wrecked insurance wouldn't cover it. :'(    Al

I believe the track rental for the day during my Motor Trend Photoshoot at Texas Motor Speedway was $15,000 per day. But, the track told Motor Trend if the track's logo was in the pictures, it would be free.....
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 22, 2011, 03:54:45 PM
Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on November 22, 2011, 12:00:39 PM

I believe the track rental for the day during my Motor Trend Photoshoot at Texas Motor Speedway was $15,000 per day. But, the track told Motor Trend if the track's logo was in the pictures, it would be free.....

Scratch that idea :rotz:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

69_500

Doug you can count me in for sure. I was not going to be able to make the show the month before but can get the dates for the brickyard off for sure.

Troy if you want same offer as last year.

RECHRGD

How about some cooler weather?  I know my other two grandsons would love to make it....
13.53 @ 105.32

Aero426

I have someone working with the hotel to see what they can do for a block of rooms.  

High speed laps won't happen, although we can ask they pick up the pace a little.    The race morning lap was definitely a faster pace.  

If the race morning lap is limited to X number of cars, we will have a lottery to fairly distribute the spots and get more cars out there.  

If there is a Friday or Saturday lap at the end of the day, we will park the cars after to allow exiting traffic to clear.  

We will get more cars over to the Mug n Bun.   We'll even invite Ed Hinton.

Stuart, I don't know how the road course race will effect us on Friday, but it is a question on my mind as well.   Maybe they would put us closer to the museum, which would be OK too. 

What else?

WINGR

Wow, that would be awesome to go back to the Brickyard. If at all possible I would love to participate again. I agree a little faster laps and hopefully before race laps would be much better. Thanks Doug

69 DAYTONA

...yes, I would attend...I'll be retired by then and my schedule is still open for that weekend,

Mopurr

Yes, we would be in we were not going to be making it to CO.

Brent said that Stuart should have quieter mufflers by then so that we have no issues with Ed......lol

The exit time with traffic was tight but the crowd was great and a lot of fun.

Tickets were nice but we would have been quite happy over in the grass infield area.

perhaps if we can't do laps before the cup race we could before the nationwide race.

and if it is possible for me to not get blisters on the bottom of both feel that would be good also

We had a great time!

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on November 22, 2011, 07:41:30 PM
Doug you can count me in for sure. I was not going to be able to make the show the month before but can get the dates for the brickyard off for sure.

Troy if you want same offer as last year.

Yeapers... But, you may still have another Daytona there..  :lol:
Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on November 22, 2011, 08:00:02 PM

What else?

Or maybe Kyle Petty will show up again, but with his Dad..  :yesnod:
Troy

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on November 22, 2011, 08:00:02 PM
I have someone working with the hotel to see what they can do for a block of rooms.  

High speed laps won't happen, although we can ask they pick up the pace a little.    The race morning lap was definitely a faster pace.  

If the race morning lap is limited to X number of cars, we will have a lottery to fairly distribute the spots and get more cars out there.  

If there is a Friday or Saturday lap at the end of the day, we will park the cars after to allow exiting traffic to clear.  

Stuart, I don't know how the road course race will effect us on Friday, but it is a question on my mind as well.   Maybe they would put us closer to the museum, which would be OK too. 

What else?
I promise to try harder to behave my self in the parking lot of the hotel    :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Aero426

We'll make you a shirt that says,  "Ed Hinton's Biggest Fan". 

moparstuart

Mopurr

Oh and don't forget if there would be an option for them to have a tent setup for us to centralize out of

Aero426

Quote from: Mopurr on November 23, 2011, 11:11:28 AM
Oh and don't forget if there would be an option for them to have a tent setup for us to centralize out of

Good idea.   The EZ ups last year turned out to be a non-issue.   It worked out and we could have had more.

Aero426

OK, we talked to the people at IMS yesterday and committed to participate in Aero Cars, Round II at The Brickyard.   Dates are July 27, 28, 29.    The format will be very similar to 2011.   We will show all three days at the track.    The display will be inside the oval.

Friday evening there will be a twilight Rolex Grand-Am sports car race with the Daytona Prototypes on the road course.   So we will be located in a different spot, at least for Friday.    Friday overnight they will reconfigure back to the oval.    Saturday there will be a Nationwide race and Cup qualifying.    The group parade lap for everyone will be on Saturday.  On Sunday, they plan a pre-race parade lap close to race time.    The number of cars is TBD, but we will get more out there than in 2011.    To keep it fair, the plan is to have a drawing on Sunday morning and the winners get to go on the lap.  

IMS will provide at least two complimentary weekend tickets per participating car.   It is possible that number could increase, but it has not yet been approved.  

The hotel is the same one,  Wingate by Wyndham on Rockville Rd, very close to the speedway.    Phone is 317-243-8310.    Rate is $150 per night and there is a three night minimum.   Additional nights are $79.   Hot breakfast is included.   They have a shuttle running to the track.   You can cancel the room up to 6 PM day of arrival.   There is no pre-pay required.    We have 52 rooms blocked under the group name Aero Warriors.   The room block is live now.     The Baymont hotel in Plainfield is also available.   That is $135 with a three night minimum.   317-837-9000.  

There is no registration fee, but you will need to be a current member of DSAC or Winged Warriors.   Conventional Mopar B-bodies and Ford Fastbacks are invited to participate.  

held1823

looks like i better get moving on my "get adopted by larry" campaign. surely he will need a co-pilot to help move his fleet the fifty miles to the track.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

Quote from: held1823 on December 07, 2011, 01:27:05 PM
looks like i better get moving on my "get adopted by larry" campaign. surely he will need a co-pilot to help move his fleet the fifty miles to the track.

Yes, Larry should bring the New Castle fleet this year.