News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger 500 @ R&R Auto Salvage from mid 90s

Started by StoneCold, November 23, 2011, 07:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downtown

Thank you for your comments!!!  As the saying goes... I wish I would have know then what I know now.  Took my 15 years old son to really get me to understand what my dad's dream was all about.  Back then I was a teenage girl who liked foreign cars (I know, so wrong in many ways!!!).  From taking me dirt bike riding, to cruising around town in his Muscle Cars, to airplane rides, to making sure I had everything I thought I needed - I absolutely had an amazing childhood thanks to him! No car can ever replace all the wonderful memories that I have with my dad over the summers! I miss him more and more every year!!!    

I remember spending weeks and weeks signing him up for every Mopar/Muscles car magazine and typing up all the vin numbers on each car.  He even taught me how to decode what each number meant.  I found a few cars through Googling "Ron Slobe Mopar" online. I have some old pictures of some of his cars that I can share when I get back home.  I also found a video online through Five Star Productions that toured R&R with Ron. That was an amazing find!!!

Ultimately, it is fun to honor his memory! Would be super cool to pull a show together in his name and donate the proceeds to Colon Cancer Foundation. He fought a good fight for many years!!!  He only went to school through the 6th grade due to his medical condition. I will always be one of his #1 fans!!! Please keep the word out, appreciate any information about my dad, Ron Slobe, and his cars.

Thanks Again!

moparstuart

I would love to see you do a mopar show in Missouri In his name that would be great . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

rnjump

I got to meet Ron once as I bought an engine from him back in maybe 1984. I showed an interest in his collection and he took the time to show me around. I was quite impressed but Ron was collecting long before the muscle car craze. I remember the Charger 500 as it sat out by the road for quite a while with $5000 as the price.
  As it turned out the engine I bought for my chevy pick-up did not run just right and he bent over backwards to make sure things were taken care of. He was a great guy to deal with. I still live about 60 miles away.

6PakBee

I bought my A12 SuperBee from Ron in '93 as I recall.  He had a orange coupe with the Dana and an F6 hardtop without.  Ended up with the hardtop.  Three things I remember.  Looking at one of the (two-three?) 1972 Six-Pack cars that were built, an E-body convertible in the basement with a VIN sequence number something like 000004, and the stacks of Hemi parts.  I almost wet myself.  So tragic that he passed on so young.

Downtown

I found a photo of some of Ron's collection you might enjoy as much as I do!

Alaskan_TA

24 years ago, my Challenger T/A was hit twice. Once while I was in it (driver made a u-turn from the curb without looking) and the second time was a hit & run while it was parked. Luckily for me, the damage both times was in the same fender (I still have it) and there were witnesses to both events.

My body shop looked for months to find a correct 1970 fender without a radio antenna hole. They found a NOS one at R & R and your dad was even willing to ship it all the way to Alaska.

I always wanted to meet him in person just to say thanks.  :cheers:

StoneCold

Quote from: Downtown on November 25, 2012, 07:52:47 PM
I found a photo of some of Ron's collection you might enjoy as much as I do!

Great shot!  :2thumbs:

mopar_man

Well I'm here in Newfoundland Canada, thats a long way from R&R salvage. In 1984 I phoned R&R looking for a set of 426 side markers for my 66 Coronet 500. Ron Slobe  came on the phone . I told him where i was from,  "never heard of it" he said , we must have chatted for about 1/2 hr . he was asking me about the place , what the fishin was like  etc etc . Couldn't get clear of him j/k lol . What a fine man to talk to and was a Mopar maniac as myself. I asked him about the side markers and he said he didn't have any new ones but , seeing i was from such a long ways away he would go out in the front yard and pull a perfect set off a Coronet he had out in front.
a week later I get them in the mail and and I still have them and the original box they came in .
I was planning on going to R&R when I visited my cuz in St Louis , unfortunatley I never got the chance to meet him or to see his stash of Mopars .  RIP

fc7_plumcrazy

the whiote Cuda CV in the picture could be the pilot car. Think VIN is BS27V0B100006

Carsten

ACUDANUT

Does anyone have a old Picture of Ron. ?  How old was he when he died. ?

nascarxx29

Another rare car he owned

Re: 1972 Charger 440 6 pack found

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 07:23:08 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, Ron  Slobe did in fact have one of the 440-6 chargers, i do not know if it was kept in the family or sold after his passing!

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=96156.0
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

fc7_plumcrazy

it was sold and already gone in 1999.
It was Fe5 red from the factory. John Justus told us about it.
The yard was still  in business back then

Carsten

Downtown

Hi!  I see a request for picture of my dad.  I am traveling but I have an old photo on my laptop of my dad, my brother and myself. The car in that background helps date when the picture was taken. Just a few years ago. Haha!!!

Downtown

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 26, 2012, 02:17:13 PM
Does anyone have a old Picture of Ron. ?  How old was he when he died. ?

Hi!  I am still learning how to get around in this website so I hope this is what I am supposed to be doing to reply here.  My dad was only 46 when he died. Thinking it was 91 but looked when I got home & it was 1993.

JB400

This is just as appropriate as any.  The only thing I can think of is it might fit in the car guys discussion board better.  But feel free to post here as well. :2thumbs: The mods will move it if they think it needs moved. :cheers:

I been there as well.  Bought a couple doors, a hood, and some trim pieces.  Wished it was still in business.

nvrbdn

yep, your doing it right.  :2thumbs: its really nice for all that visited R&R and met your dad, and those who knew him in other ways have a chance to learn even more about him. thank you.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

ACUDANUT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 26, 2012, 02:17:13 PM
Does anyone have a old Picture of Ron. ?  How old was he when he died. ?
Thanks, but I was looking for one when he sold out "era"

Downtown

Hi! Back home now.  Attached 2 pictures of my dad during his Mopar days per request. 

xx29

Quote from: Howie on December 15, 2011, 12:50:55 PM

Aside from the A pillar car that I bought they had another green C500 inside that was a running car less back glass and trim. The asking price for it then was 5500 which a friend of mine purchased and later sold and offered it to me.  I should have bought it. Would have been the best 5k I ever spent. At that time he still didnt have a glass for it. I think it went to oklahoma.
I bought 2 Charger 500s from Florida in -96 for $5500, one of them came from R&R, F5 green/ green interior, automatic car, no rear glass/trim, also didn't have engine or trans. Other 500 was 4spd Dana car.

ACUDANUT

Downtown

Hi! Pictures were taken summer of 1992 so he would have been 46.  He died Feb 12, 93 & his 47th birthday would have been just a few weeks later.

ACUDANUT

Wow, only 46 years years old.  I am so sorry.

wyliemn71

500Jon

WoW xx29.
So the infamous R&R 'green on green' 500 is now in the UK.
A stunning car indeed, rebuilt by a Finnish guy living in LA.
He spent 400 hours on the bodywork alone.
Then sold it to three English guys visiting Tom Nelson race engines on Oso Avenue, Chatsworth.
The Swedish guy had a unit next door to Tom's place where he restored Chargers...
Its strange but the English guys knew more about C500's than most American car guys, he said!
I met a guy in Prescott Arizona, that knew more about English Jaguars than me?

Anyways, once he sold one C500 to the Limeys, he then sells them another!
Yep the green on black 4-speed dana car...mine... :pity:
This Limey guy says, he is forever in your debt xx29. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

My 500 is the grey one, the one on the right, I believe is your Dad's.
Both shipped to California in 1995ish...
Under the gray primer is a red and black paint scheme, not dissimilar to the Don Garlits 'Crower car'.
Both C500's are Florida cars, so if neither were the DG 'Crower' car, where is it?
How many C500's went to Florida???

Hi Julie, I will get some up to date pics of your Dad's C500 for you.
Hopefully, it is the right car?
Limey Jon
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

moparstuart

Quote from: wyliemn71 on September 05, 2015, 10:40:27 AM
the burned hemi C500 ended up in Minnesota,
can you elaborate or have anymore info ?????
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE