News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

#7 Conn/McCoy Daytona

Started by xxcarguy, November 28, 2011, 07:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

There were only two wing car races at Riverside, so there's a 50% chance this is the incident Sean was talking about.   It has to be the one.

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: Aero426 on December 03, 2011, 02:10:22 PM
There were only two wing car races at Riverside, so there's a 50% chance this is the incident Sean was talking about.   It has to be the one.
Conn/McCoy showed up at the Jan race with a C500 in 70.    Ernie Conn had said he thought the wing cars would not be affective on the Riverside road course.    Then he said,   We had a wing car for the June race.      He went on to say they were all blowing by Jack on the long back stretch.    I guess Jack got a taste of what the Chevy guys felt like during that era.    My dad filmed Jack on Super 8mm  hitting the outside wall backwards in turn 6.     When my dad told Jack (mid 90s) that he had it on Super 8mm.  Jack said he had never seen any footage of the wreck.   After Jack saw the footage his comment was,   I thought I was going faster when I hit the wall...    :smilielol:        I see it has duel fuel fill.   I am sure the left side was not used at Riverside.   I wonder if the right side is welded up?    I don't remember seeing it.
Caution.... Low flying aircraft.

C5X DAYTONA

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: Aero426 on December 01, 2011, 03:50:13 PM
Also note it still has the old style straight door bars on the on the inside of the passenger side door panel.   This was mainly for roll up and down side glass.   Some cars when rebuilt got new passenger side bars that curved outward for extra space and protection. 
Bill did say he had to replace/repair the right side cage and a-post area.    Now if it was repaired or replaced I don't know.   Bill had said the car hit a pole hard during a short track race after they had sold it in the 70s.

held1823

one more...
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

YeahBabyRacing

Does anyone know who has this car? Does Jack's family still have the car? Just curious. Ernie is my (step) grandfather. When he moved to Oregon, he said he gave the car to Jack, but just wondering if the family still has it. By the way, this car is bad a$$. Saw the car progress towards the end of the build. That hemi is one mean engine. I remember when the car came out of the paint booth. Bill fired up the motor and it shook the ground. Anyway, Ernie knows his way around a Charger.

Thanks, Ryan

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

YeahBabyRacing

Thanks! I sent him an email.

I hope the car has a good home  ;) I mean, its a legend on the racetrack and the movie screen  :coolgleamA:

C5X DAYTONA

Quote from: YeahBabyRacing on November 17, 2013, 11:48:22 AM
Does anyone know who has this car? Does Jack's family still have the car? Just curious. Ernie is my (step) grandfather. When he moved to Oregon, he said he gave the car to Jack, but just wondering if the family still has it. By the way, this car is bad a$$. Saw the car progress towards the end of the build. That hemi is one mean engine. I remember when the car came out of the paint booth. Bill fired up the motor and it shook the ground. Anyway, Ernie knows his way around a Charger.

Thanks, Ryan
Hello Ryan,   The car is in very good hands.    I have not talked to Ernie in a while.  Bad cell service where he is at in Oregon.     In your I.D. Photo is that the red interior Charger Bill had in his back yard in the 1994?

YeahBabyRacing

I am really glad the car is in good hands and not in a barn somewhere. Yeah the avatar pic is the red 69 charger bill had in his backyard. Ernie and I were over there one day using Bills lathe (to fix/modify an exhaust manifold) and I walked by this car, did a double take, stared at it for a while, and continued on with what we were doing. A week later I was at Ernie's (and my grandmothers) house...found out from her, that Ernie wanted to sell the car. So I walked down the hallway and told him I wanted the car but didn't have the money to buy it at that point. He told me if I moved it out of Bills backyard soon, he'll make me a good deal on it. He did 😄. Now the car is awaiting for a lot of restoration work. It will be awesome when it's done...as do all chargers when they are restored!

C5X DAYTONA

I wanted that Charger bad.   Red with Red interior.   AC, column auto with center seat.    I asked Bill about the car and he said it was going to a family member..   The interior was beautiful if I remember correctly.  That was 19 years ago..  Yikes.    It was against the fence.  The 64 Convertible was under a tarp on the back porch.

YeahBabyRacing

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on November 20, 2013, 01:40:10 AM
I wanted that Charger bad.   Red with Red interior.   AC, column auto with center seat.    I asked Bill about the car and he said it was going to a family member..   The interior was beautiful if I remember correctly.  That was 19 years ago..  Yikes.    It was against the fence.  The 64 Convertible was under a tarp on the back porch.

Yeah I was pretty stoked to get the car. What's funny about this is I like the car for the same reasons. I like the center console, but the fold down seat/arm rest is pretty cool with the column shifter. The one major change I am making to the car is taking the 383 out and putting a 440 in. When Ernie was cleaning out all of the stuff at Bill's house; a while back Ernie bought a junked motor home that had a brand new 440 motor in it; he gave me that motor. Bill and Ernie added a room onto the back porch which moved the convertible and the 500 on a cement pad with an awning in the yard. That 500 was so freakin sweet. Actually, that's the only 69 Charger I've ever rode in...Bill and I did 105 mph down lower Sacramento Rd after Ernie and my Grandmothers wedding...that was pretty cool 😄

Budnicks

Quote from: YeahBabyRacing on November 20, 2013, 12:29:43 PM
Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on November 20, 2013, 01:40:10 AM

Yeah I was pretty stoked to get the car. What's funny about this is I like the car for the same reasons. I like the center console, but the fold down seat/arm rest is pretty cool with the column shifter. The one major change I am making to the car is taking the 383 out and putting a 440 in. When Ernie was cleaning out all of the stuff at Bill's house; a while back Ernie bought a junked motor home that had a brand new 440 motor in it; he gave me that motor. Bill and Ernie added a room onto the back porch which moved the convertible and the 500 on a cement pad with an awning in the yard. That 500 was so freakin sweet. Actually, that's the only 69 Charger I've ever rode in...Bill and I did 105 mph down lower Sacramento Rd after Ernie and my Grandmothers wedding...that was pretty cool 😄
I haven't seen this thread in a while, just re-read it, thanks for the updates & very cool story...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Budnicks

thanks for the update, sorry it double posted
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

odcics2

Quote from: held1823 on December 04, 2011, 02:13:06 AM
one more...

You can see the K&K has the front drooped and the McCoy car doesn't.   Good pic and angle to depict that aspect of differences in wing cars.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

djcarguy

some great pixs an the side bye side shot is great. either the color or cars are setup alot diff looks like. :cheers:

UFO

Vintage article on Jack McCoy.
Interesting that near the end of the story it mentions no plans to update the car to a daytona.

Ghoste

Great article, I love the photos.  Thanks! :yesnod:

odcics2

Quote from: UFO on January 18, 2014, 10:46:21 AM
Vintage article on Jack McCoy.
Interesting that near the end of the story it mentions no plans to update the car to a daytona.

Can you take a pic of just the interior photo?  The floor pan looks 'different', in that I don't see a t-bar reinforcement on the pass side.  Thanks!

UFO

Sure, keep in mind that the car was nothing more than a tool to allow him to race and changes were made at any given time.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: UFO on January 18, 2014, 12:13:02 PM
Sure, keep in mind that the car was nothing more than a tool to allow him to race and changes were made at any given time.

I think that some people don't understand that the old racecar gets pushed out back when something better comes along.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Aero426

If that is the '68 chassis in the interior photo, it would be the first one of that generation we have seen to NOT have the torsion bar crossmember extending all the way over to the passenger side of the cage. 

odcics2

And I don't see one on the driver side either, just the inside t-bar adjuster!     
Very early 68 perhaps?

Aero426

The Daytona ('68 chassis) has a plate on it that says DC-62.

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on January 19, 2014, 04:09:43 PM
The Daytona ('68 chassis) has a plate on it that says DC-62.

Wow, just prior to P-69!

I wonder if it was updated after the fact. Reason I say that is the vertical bar to the pass side "A"pillar. It would not make sense to have that going to the floor without the t-bar reinforcement in place.