News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Instrument cluster restoration (update w/ pics 5/7)

Started by Dino, November 29, 2011, 08:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadrunner440

i really wish somone would redo a 71-74 ralley dash for b bodys i want mine to look perfect not sure how to paint the brown or the black n have it look perfect or event the right shade and wood grain and where to get the parts 4 the guages and the new guage decals

Dino

Quote from: roadrunner440 on May 10, 2012, 10:18:05 PM
i really wish somone would redo a 71-74 ralley dash for b bodys i want mine to look perfect not sure how to paint the brown or the black n have it look perfect or event the right shade and wood grain and where to get the parts 4 the guages and the new guage decals

Are the gauges suffering from the same 'rust behind white lettering syndrome' as the 2nd gens?  That's strange that nobody is remaking these then.  I've never had a 3rd gen dash in my hands, is is a plastic molded instrument panel with simulated grain or is it smooth with painted grain or a decal?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

AirborneSilva

Dirk, the bezel is molded plastic and has the wood grain pattern molded in it, if that's what you were asking.

Dino

Quote from: AirborneSilva on May 11, 2012, 07:02:42 AM
Dirk, the bezel is molded plastic and has the wood grain pattern molded in it, if that's what you were asking.

Yes I was but it's early and I can be very confusing if I'm not loaded up with coffee!   :icon_smile_big:
Thanks for clearing that up.   :2thumbs:

So it's pretty much the same way they did the woodgrain steering wheels and those wear, become smooth and lose their pattern.  How does the dash age?  Does it become smooth around switches and knobs or is the main issue the colors?  A good airbrush artist can redo the grain with paint, and so will those steering wheel resto guys, but I'm sure there will be a high price to pay.

AirborneSilva

Mine doesn't show any wear around the switches and or knobs, it's just from abuse (not much there thank God), and from the moron painting the dash baby blue and not bothering to mask  :slap: I'll try to post a picture in the next couple of days, or maybe someone else can... 

autodynamics

rikubot

Dino, I can't believe how good of a job you did on these bezels. Oh my Lord!
'69 Charger, 440/727

Dino

AirborneSilva

This is kinda on topic, sorry for stealing the thread  :icon_smile_big: but, what's an un-restored 69 Chrager gauge cluster worth?  Thanks and back to your regularly scheduled thread  :2thumbs:

rikubot

I've seen them on eBay with and without tachs going for around 3-400 on eBay with bids on them.
'69 Charger, 440/727

Kern Dog

There was some bullshit TV show (Maybe Counting Cars?) where they were restoring a Coronet. The shop monkeys went shopping for a rally cluster and bought one, taking it in the ass for something like $1200! The cluster was core material needing restoration.

I have 2 now that I am installing the Dakota Digital guages. $2400 would be over halfway there to a 4 speed OD trans kit!

rikubot

Quote from: rikubot on November 22, 2015, 10:59:52 PM
I've seen them on eBay with and without tachs going for around 3-400 on eBay with bids on them.

Did I mention eBay? I meant to say eBay two more times...

Damn I'm an idiot and shouldn't respond when I'm tired haha
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Quote from: Kern Dog on November 25, 2015, 05:13:34 AM
There was some bullshit TV show (Maybe Counting Cars?) where they were restoring a Coronet. The shop monkeys went shopping for a rally cluster and bought one, taking it in the ass for something like $1200! The cluster was core material needing restoration.

I have 2 now that I am installing the Dakota Digital guages. $2400 would be over halfway there to a 4 speed OD trans kit!

How much is the Dakota Digital setup? It is pretty badass.
'69 Charger, 440/727

Kern Dog

rikubot

Damn thats quite a bit cheaper than I expected. Nice!
'69 Charger, 440/727