News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Instrument cluster restoration (update w/ pics 5/7)

Started by Dino, November 29, 2011, 08:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctor4766

Quote from: Dino on December 27, 2011, 09:48:25 PM
Quote from: ODZKing on December 26, 2011, 12:36:13 PM
There are a few ways to go on the face Dirk.  You can buy the decals as you mentioned, but I'm fairly certain you'd have to get them all and would probably want to so they all match.
Or polish.  Bring back the black with some compound or car wax.  Don't press to hard, or the black will come off (ask me how I know that!!!).  Or if they're not too bad and just need a little brightening ... VinylX works great.  There is other stuff I've used too ... Back To Black (by Mothers).  I like the vinylX a bit better , it doesn't attract the dust like some of the others will.   :2thumbs:

Hey Bob, I also found out that you can't go nuts with the polish as my speedo now has a big white blotch where the black simply rubbed off!  Oops...   :icon_smile_big:

Since I will not be ordering every single decal in one go as I need to look at the car this spring and see what else I need, I will order all the gauge decals except the clock.  It looks absolutely mint now.  If I really can't make the clock and speedo match then I'll order the clock decal with whatever else I need.  I just feel it would be a shame to put a decal over a perfectly good clock.

I'm almost done repairing the bezels, only a few tiny details left to do and they'll be ready for paint.
The whole gauge overlay kit is like 25 bucks or so,and that usually includes tach OR clock optioned cars so it makes sense just to get them anyway. Always good for spares down the track if you dont use them now.
Gotta love a '69

Dino

Quote from: Roth68rt on December 27, 2011, 11:37:04 PM
Dino, where are you getting the stem?

Steve

Steve, I'm ordering it from Instrument Services, Inc.  http://clocksandgauges.com/

The stem is part #34139 and it's $9.95 + $3 shipping from IL to Mi, but it's likely the same to all 48.

This is the stem for the regular clock, the one for the tic-toc-tach is different so email them first if that's what you need.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Dino

Clock set stem is in the mail!

Unfortunately, several weeks after ordering the spaz stix chrome paint, numerous emails and no response, it looks like this stuff will not be arriving any time soon or ever.  I called the company today and the phone is disconnected, that's usually not a good sign.....
So beware, do not order from spaz stix inc.  I'll now have to file a complaint with paypal to get my money back.

Seems like nobody else has the brand in stock either so I have no clue what to do next. 

There's other chrome paints but most of these are really tricky.  From what I can tell you can't clear coat the chrome paint since it will dull it and if you touch it it'll leave a mark.  So it's no good on a dash.  By the time the parts are installed the chrome will be all messed up.  Chrome foil is an option, I've never tried it so I might give it a shot.

Or I may have to end up using a spray can of chrome (shiny silver) paint and hope for the best.  Bummer....

roadrunner440

can u paint the black on the guage bezel on a raley dash for roadrunners n chargers on 73-74 stuff? if so is it flat black or semi gloss?

Roth68rt

Dino

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on November 29, 2011, 01:58:36 PM
But for the gaskets and turn signal lenses go with premium dash decals.

I saw that premium dash decals has a gasket kit that includes the brake decal, which I need.  The price is certainly right @ $10.99 but just out of curiosity, why do you prefer these over the performance car graphics gaskets and lenses?

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: Dino on January 10, 2012, 08:10:46 AM

I saw that premium dash decals has a gasket kit that includes the brake decal, which I need.  The price is certainly right @ $10.99 but just out of curiosity, why do you prefer these over the performance car graphics gaskets and lenses?

Mainly cause they sell the whole kit and I prefered the dark grey gaskets to the tan. Just thought for some reason if the gasket somehow was showing through the bezel the dark grey would blend in better than tan? They are both great quality products. The lenses are the same, it was just a choice of color for the gaskets.   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on January 10, 2012, 01:53:54 PM
Quote from: Dino on January 10, 2012, 08:10:46 AM

I saw that premium dash decals has a gasket kit that includes the brake decal, which I need.  The price is certainly right @ $10.99 but just out of curiosity, why do you prefer these over the performance car graphics gaskets and lenses?

Mainly cause they sell the whole kit and I prefered the dark grey gaskets to the tan. Just thought for some reason if the gasket somehow was showing through the bezel the dark grey would blend in better than tan? They are both great quality products. The lenses are the same, it was just a choice of color for the gaskets.   :cheers:

Good to know!  I do need the brake decal and the gasket for it, it was toast.  I don't really need the turn signal lenses or gaskets, they're fine but I guess it wouldn't hurt to swap them anyway.

That's $8 at pcg just for the brake lens decal/gasket but for $11 at premium I'll have all the gaskets and lenses.  I'll have to find out how much their shipping is, it would be easier to get everything in one place.  It is a bit weird that the gaskets are tan at pcg.

Ah another decision to make  :icon_smile_big:

Thanks again for the help!   :cheers:

roadrunner440

Dino

Dino

Well I got the new clock stem and then I found out that my chrome adjuster knob doesn't have the internal nut anymore....must be stuck on the old broken stem, wherever that is!  Dammit.....

Edit:

Checked the clock knob again, isn't there supposed to be a hole in the top to get to the iner screw?  Mine's closed.  The inside of the knob as something brass in there but nothing that fits on the stem.  Looks like I'm buying a new knob and nut...boy these little projects get out of hand fast....I'm afraid to start the bigger ones!

71charger

Do you do 3rd gen instrument cluster restoration.
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

doctor4766

Quote from: Dino on January 11, 2012, 09:51:53 AM
Well I got the new clock stem and then I found out that my chrome adjuster knob doesn't have the internal nut anymore....must be stuck on the old broken stem, wherever that is!  Dammit.....

Edit:

Checked the clock knob again, isn't there supposed to be a hole in the top to get to the iner screw?  Mine's closed.  The inside of the knob as something brass in there but nothing that fits on the stem.  Looks like I'm buying a new knob and nut...boy these little projects get out of hand fast....I'm afraid to start the bigger ones!

Can anyone say LORENA BOBBITT?
Gotta love a '69

Dino

Aarrghhh even just seeing that name makes me cringe!!!   :eek2:

71charger, I no longer do any restorations professionally.  Just trying to make my own dash a bit more presentable.

Little projects always turn into larger ones... much much larger ones...

Dino

They sure do, and it shouldn't surprise me as I've been there and done that plenty times.  But since I knew I had the little knob I didn't think I'd be shopping for another one.  Oh well...

ODZKing

If anyone is looking for gauge work/repair:
http://www.thegaugedoc.com/
He does 66-74.
I had my 73 clock converted to quartz.  I used Instrument Services. They did a great job, they know what they are talking about and were very knowledgeable. Turn around was 10 days.
http://www.clocksandgauges.com/

71charger

thanks anyway. you do some top notch stuff looking good.
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

Dino

I just ordered the decals from performance car graphics.  I look forward to seeing those gauges and a/c buttons sparkle again!  I also got a new clock knob, airtemp decal, brake lens decal and turn signal lenses with gaskets and the odometer lettering.  I'm gonna be busy!  I just remembered I need to find matching black paint for the surroundings.  If I recall pcg says duplicolor flat is a close match, Lilwendall says krylon semi flat is a good match, will have to try one of those.

This past weekend I prepped the bezels for paint. I made sure that all that will be chrome was smooth as glass first.  Since spaz stix never delivered, I got my money back from paypal and got some alclad chrome paint.  Experiments start one of these days but it needs to be above 50 at the workbench.

Since it got pretty warm this weekend I decided to paint the bezels with sem trim black just to see if I like the sheen and it looks absolutely perfect!  I then tried to do the white lettering with a pilot pen and the results are amazing.  I gave the letters three coats with plenty time between them and it's perfect.

The interior may still be green but at least the dash will be a bit more pleasing to the eye!

Dino

The weather finally turned and it was gorgeous in SE Michigan yesterday.  I prepped my radio bezel and started experimenting.  I did not touch the other two bezels until I know exactly how to use this alclad chrome paint.

Since you get 6 different answers when you ask five people how to spray the chrome I thought I'd try a few things myself.  

My first experiment was to spray an enamel gloss black, let it dry to the touch and then mist on the chrome paint.  The next experiment will be to spray the black, let it dry for a week or so and then sand and polish it untill it is smooth as glass.

I first masked the bezel so I could sand and clean the parts that will be chrome.  I then masked front and back and used a fine line tape to get a nice, crisp edge.

I used a small rattle can of black which left a very nice smooth finish.  Next time I'll use my airbrush to get it even smoother because honestly, sandingg and polishing such small parts is asking for trouble.

The sun was out in full force so I was able to get it covered pretty fast.  I then waited about half an hour and misted the chrome on and it looks pretty damn good.

It's not as good as chrome but you'd have to look really close.  The pictures with flash make it look like silver but in normal light it's pretty much like polished stainless.  I would have no problem leaving it as is but will still try the other way to compare.

Dino

more

Dino

last ones for now

Troy

Glad the weather was nice yesterday - it sucked when I was there Saturday! ;)

The trim looks nice! I may have to test that process on some junk I have laying around.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dino

Quote from: Troy on March 12, 2012, 08:39:26 AM
Glad the weather was nice yesterday - it sucked when I was there Saturday! ;)

The trim looks nice! I may have to test that process on some junk I have laying around.

Troy

Yeah Saturday was only so-so but I was in class most of the day anyway. 

The chrome paint is definitely worth a shot, I'm sure I can get it closer to chrome even although as I said, it looks just fine as is.

The way it works is pretty cool.  This is not like spray can chrome paint.  The chrome is really thin, you won't see the first few coats really.  What happens is that the gloss from the black enamel becomes the gloss of the chrome, so in effect you are changing the black into chrome. 

The chrome bottle is real small but I think I can do several bezel sets with one bottle.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html