News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need your opinion... to daytona clone or not to daytona clone

Started by RD, January 20, 2006, 11:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

I will be coming across a 70 charger 318 car from north dakota through my uncle.  It will need a roof and an entire front clip, plus quarters I am sure and other stuff.

Here is the dilemma.  Should I go and spend the money for a complete grille, bumper, front valance, etc. or just slap a daytona nose on there clone that puppy into a daytona?

I am new into the daytona arena so I am wondering the cost difference between the above and a daytona nose and ancillary equipment.  I know for sure that I would enjoy a daytona clone a heckuvalot better than just a regular 70 charger (conversation piece and all).

what would you do in this instance? just curious.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

Good Daytona parts are NOT inexpensive.  However the thrill of riding around in one cloned or not likely makes that car a good candidate.  I say do it.

RD

Quote from: Ghoste on January 20, 2006, 11:18:10 PM
Good Daytona parts are NOT inexpensive.  However the thrill of riding around in one cloned or not likely makes that car a good candidate.  I say do it.

ghoste, yeah I was thinking the same thing.  but, if I am to sink some good cash into a car that needs alot, I might as well do it all the way if you know what I mean.

I know some of you may disagree with what I would like to do, and that is fine, just please substantiate your opinion with something other than, "IMO".
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

TheGhost

It's just a 318 car, so you would be making it more valuable, it already needs a new front clip, among other things.  So, my opinion is, why not make a Daytona?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Recharger

Quote from: RD on January 20, 2006, 11:14:16 PM
I know for sure that I would enjoy a daytona clone a heckuvalot better than just a regular 70 charger (conversation piece and all).

I think that answers your question right there.  Go for the clone.

If I was in your position, and building the car to drive & keep, I'd redo it as a 70.  I personally love the 70 body style (second only to the 68  :icon_smile_wink:) and have always considered the Daytonas a bit gaudy.  That's just my personal preference, so that's what I'd do if I was basing the decision on keeping the car.  

However, if I was building the car to sell, I'd have to consider the ROI, and so I'd go for the Daytona.  From the sound of it, you're going to have a lot of money into this project whichever route you go.  You can bet, considering the money it would take to replace the parts you mentioned, a small block 70 wont be worth the money you've invested into it.  Even the clones are bringing big money nowadays (yeah, I've been watching the B-J auctions all week) and a small block 70 just isn't going to be in the same league.  I'd say it depends on your ultimate goal with the car: fun or investment.  I'm sure, as with most of us, it's a bit of both.  The fact that you say you'd like the Daytona more cinches it as far as I'm concerned.  

Good luck with the decision and have fun with the car.

dayclona

Unless building cars, and blowing out your buget is second nature or old hat with you , build the Daytona, if not, the best thing to do is enjoy the car, get it drivable, then maybe a cosmetic R/T clone package, then a big block hemi?, multi carbs? 4-5 speed?..........

then blow out for the wingcar stuff..............if you still want it!........................if it was me? I'd clone it in a heartbeat!, hell I'd clone out a number matching 500! or hell even a 71 charger, maybe a 71 plymouth!.................wait a minute! ........oh yeah, I've done that allready!.........
..................................................................................see how addictive wingcars are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike G/ DAYCLONA

Old Moparz

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Daytona R/T SE

I will be coming across a 70 charger 318 car from north dakota through my uncle.  It will need a roof and an entire front clip, plus quarters I am sure and other stuff.

Here is the dilemma.  Should I go and spend the money for a complete grille, bumper, front valance, etc. or just slap a daytona nose on there clone that puppy into a daytona?

I am new into the daytona arena so I am wondering the cost difference between the above and a daytona nose and ancillary equipment.  I know for sure that I would enjoy a daytona clone a heckuvalot better than just a regular 70 charger (conversation piece and all).

what would you do in this instance? just curious.

Clone it, Run the BALLS off of it  :drive:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Jon Smith

clone it into a nascar lookalike or do a 70's paintjob  O0
stock looking ones are getting more common all the time

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Shakey

RD

thank you for all your opinions, and shakey, yep i know it will be a crapload of money :D  but I am willing to sink some cash into something if it is truly worth it.  this is definitely a project that will be years in the making so I will be do a lot of research and reading of the many daytona threads that show up here.  OM, that picture you put up sure does strengthen my desires even more.  thanks.

TK73

Quote from: Jon Smith on January 21, 2006, 06:22:10 AM

OH YEAH!!
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

chargervert

I think if you want to build a Daytona clone,then you have come to the right place! Although we tend to hash it out over different parts,vendors,and materials to use to build our clones,and restore originals,many of us are building clones,myself included,and can help you out,with assembly photos,and parts,quality,availablity,and price! there has never been a better time to build a wingcar,original,or clone! You can go highend,and build an exact indistinguishable clone,or you can build a more affordable driver quality clone. With a mix of parts from all of the current vendors,and some of these guys fabrication skills anything is possible!

Charger_Fan

Quote from: TK73 on January 21, 2006, 10:46:29 AM
Quote from: Jon Smith on January 21, 2006, 06:22:10 AM

OH YEAH!!

Man, wouldn't that be a BLAST to drive around?? :coolgleamA:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Old Moparz

Quote from: chargervert on January 21, 2006, 09:58:04 AM

Hey Mike,isn't that your old white Charger!

It's actually a car for sale I had found with a google search. Kind of scary too.

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd-W0QQAdIdZ2268974

LOOK! NO FRAME RAILS!
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Dodge-Charger

With the prices of 2nd gen parts it will be about the same price for either front end LOL.  Hell if ya got to cut it up to fix you might as well make it what you want. Mine ? CLONE !

i might try the dayclone thing with one of the 72s I picked up due to the fact the top is real bad and almost seperated from the car in trannsit. So I might just Chop Top to get rid of the rust too. ( 4" drop )

hotrod98

Quote from: Gandalf-the-Grey on January 21, 2006, 12:26:33 PM
With the prices of 2nd gen parts it will be about the same price for either front end LOL.  Hell if ya got to cut it up to fix you might as well make it what you want. Mine ? CLONE !

i might try the dayclone thing with one of the 72s I picked up due to the fact the top is real bad and almost seperated from the car in trannsit. So I might just Chop Top to get rid of the rust too. ( 4" drop )

I've been curious as to just how many people would be interested in creating 3rd gen wing cars. I bought a super solid 74 Charger hardtop with the idea of creating the parts. I have a fiberglass guy that is going to be working on some superbird parts for me in just a few weeks. I showed him pics of the 3rd gen Dayclona cars, my daytona wing set and the 74 Charger that I bought and he said no problem. We're thinking about a kit price for nose (no headlamp components), fender scoops and wing set for around $2500. The parts will be premium quality made with marine resins. They will be sanded, primed and ready to final sand and paint. On my car, I'm planning to mount the headlamps down low since it will be legal here. My plan was to just make a set for me, but if others would be interested, I might make a few more sets.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Danny Gutierrez

Quote from: Recharger on January 20, 2006, 11:57:54 PM
I know for sure that I would enjoy a daytona clone a heckuvalot better than just a regular 70 charger (conversation piece and all).

If I was in your position, and building the car to drive & keep, I'd redo it as a 70.  I personally love the 70 body style (second only to the 68  :icon_smile_wink:) and have always considered the Daytonas a bit gaudy.  That's just my personal preference,

Remember RD that it is YOUR car and you should do whatever you want to, but I agree about the Daytonas being gaudy.  I know I will catch flak here but I have NEVER liked Daytonas.  Sure they were fast as heck on the big tracks but as a street car they were fugly!!!!  I always felt that they took the most beautiful car ever made and turned it into a joke.  Of course this is just MY opinion.  Good luck with whatever you decide.
1969 Dodge Charger, second owner.  The first owner was my Dad.

chargervert

Hey Dan,to each their own! Some people like the wingcars,some don't! Me,I like both,thats why I have both! The Daytonas purpose,was to win,and that is what it did! Bob,that looks like one of Helpgs cars! It will be a general lee before you finish reading this!

Nacho-RT74

I don't like Daytonas... but is true that you can get some extra money if you try to sell it... If already needs that kind of job, maybe clone would be a nice option.

just an opinion... if you do... DO IT RIGHT with right tail lights/panel, door panels, cluster, steering column etc...
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

hotrod98

I like Daytonas and Superbirds and since I missed out on getting one when they were at least obtainable, I'm going to have a clone of each .
There's only one wing car around here and it's hardly ever driven. I like driving cars that people don't get to see much. The nice thing about building a clone is you're not restricted as to how you want the car to be. If you had the real thing, you would want to leave it the way it was built. 
If you're limited on funds, you can leave a small block in it and drive it untill the funds allow for a little wilder driveline. It's a clone, so what difference does it make. I've seriously thought about going with a 5.7 or 6.1 crate motor and Keisler 5 speed in the bird. Lots of power and decent drivability and you can still say that it's a hemi. When you see how the rest of the car is going to look, you'll see that it just might be kosher to go with the newer style driveline.
Here's a hint as to how the hood is going to look.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Big Lebowski

I still vote for clone, but personally I didn't do that with my last 318 Charger because there was a red one on Ebay forever that never went past $30,000. But it was a so so clone job, it still had the '70 interior, etc. It's all time and money, go with the Hemi if you do it.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

BigBlockSam

did you see that 70 charger with a new hemi in it  at the bj auction. $130000 . you can get a new used hemi from ebay for about $3500 with all the crap it needs to run. kinda makes ya think.  :scratchchin:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img