News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Advice Needed

Started by MoparManJim, January 21, 2006, 12:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparManJim

Hi you all, I don't hardly post here.. but right now I need some help from you all though.. you see a friend of mind bought me down a 1969 Charger Daytona diecast model to finish for him the thing is I'm wondering is did they have wood grine dash in them? an an does anyone have a engine bay of one that so details? I need one.. this model is I belive a lincon mint model.. any help is great you all.. 

Daytona R/T SE

Wood grain dash on the SE models, very few SE Daytonas were built, but they do exist.  Here's a pic of a Daytona engine compartment I swiped off the web somewhere:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Seems like someone said that there were only three SE's built. The green one and two others.
I think that Dave (BK) Shultz owned an SE daytona.
I would paint the dash black since that would be the correct color...no woodgrain.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

MoparManJim

thank you all that help out, that engine bay photo does help out alot.. thank you..

THE CHARGER PUNK

actually i belive there were more like 5 daytona se's built i have persoanlly seen 1 and it was an unrestored f8 green model with a/c,2nd one i saw on the net was again f8 green and was for sale and i think still is on some site(ill look 4 it),and the last one was i think f3 or f5 green and is featured on the net somewhere 2, a guy i know whos buddy owns a restored r4 daytona se that originally came with a factory mod-top and i have no info on #5-MATT

hemigeno

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on January 22, 2006, 06:18:00 PM
actually i belive there were more like 5 daytona se's built i have persoanlly seen 1 and it was an unrestored f8 green model with a/c,2nd one i saw on the net was again f8 green and was for sale and i think still is on some site(ill look 4 it),and the last one was i think f3 or f5 green and is featured on the net somewhere 2, a guy i know whos buddy owns a restored r4 daytona se that originally came with a factory mod-top and i have no info on #5-MATT

Matt,

There were no Daytonas with factory A/C.  There is a green A/C-equipped Charger500 with a Daytona nose and wing that was originally advertised on eBay as a legit Daytona that was later debunked.  Dave Schultz (BK from Moparstyle) bought the car after the auction ended and when the seller was informed/convinced of what he really had.  It was never considered a real Daytona, even though it's a true C500 and has some original Daytona parts.  It was built as a C500 and converted to look like a Daytona.  Nice car overall (especially with its Daytona trim), and it just sold again this weekend.

There were no Daytonas with mod tops, and it is highly doubtful that there were any factory (actually - Creative Industries) installed vinyl tops on Daytonas either.  There are some C500's that might lay claim to a factory-installed top, including 69_500's Dad's old car.  Most of the fastback vinyl tops I have seen mentioned as being factory have been Charger 500s.  I have seen your post before mentioning something to the effect that a friend remembers seeing a rusted-roof Daytona with what might be remnants of a vinyl/mod top.  That is HARDLY an indication of a factory origin.  If there's some paperwork or other backup for that claim, there would be a whole line of people waiting to see that unusual option's verification.  More than likely, any fastback/aero cars that had vinyl tops (besides Superbirds, of course) had them installed at a customizing shop or the selling dealer.  It definitely wasn't a sales-code option.

IIRC Mod Tops weren't installed on Chargers in the first place.  They were only installed on 1969 Darts, Barracudas, Satellites, Coronets/Superbees.  They were also installed on 1970 Barracuda/Cuda's as well.  No Chargers that we know of, and if that's so, then certainly no Daytonas.  While a lot of things with Chrysler can't be ruled out entirely, Daytona Mod Tops are a fairly safe exclusion to that rule.  Check it out here if you don't believe me:

Mod Top Registry

Galen's books lists how many SE Daytonas he thinks were built, but my copies of his books are at my office.  I'll look it up tomorrow if no one posts it before then.  The automatic question after that is - do we even believe the numbers Galen lists?

Geno

69_500

I don't know how many Daytona SE's that Galen claims but I had always heard the number of 5. That is just what I've always been told. Who is to say that is right or not either.

I can add another SE Daytona to that list just off the top of my head though, and it is an A4 silver SE. Have known about that car since 1979. Loved it when I was little, and still love it now.

nascarxx29

The former wheels and spoke museum from Hays Kansas .Jerry had a A4 SE silver daytona that may be another one or maybe the same car?.I can document a blue one i seen from DE that went to  NY in the 80-s and have vin for.And a green one.and a few othe Se's Ive seen
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

So is it 5 or 7 known SE Daytona's? Or is it even more.

nascarxx29

I dont know exactly without going into my stuff .Its not reference material on my computer. It was for many years just written down at a show on back of a ticket stub or what ever.I had .And later speaking the info while taping with the VCR camera.And play back at home and write down.No exel or spread sheets used here either
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

Sounds like my scrap pieces of paper with all the 500 info on it. Then again I have just about as much stuff wrote down on Daytona's, but haven't really done all the searching on them as I have for 500's. Seems nobody else was really doing any digging on the 500's so I figured i'd make some headway there.

hemigeno

Galen lists 11 known SE's and 2 Canadian SE's.  If the Canadian cars are in addition to the "known" cars, that would make 13 total.

I for one am glad you guys have been keeping track of all the VIN's over the years.  Hopefully it can be put to use to help the whole hobby, and perhaps encourage others who have info to chime in too.

69_500

Maybe its because some of us are obsessed, or at least that is what my wife says. She says I need to see a professional.

when will she realize I just have  a love for these aero cars.