News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger 500's

Started by 69_500, January 21, 2006, 06:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69_500

Wasn't sure what topic to put this one, but I'll just start a new thread. Because for one I don't feel like posting it 6 times, and I don't need more post than just 1.

I spent 8 hours today going over all the information I have on Charger 500's. I know I had posted before that I knew of 160 or so VIN's. Well today I sat down and got it all organized. Wrote them all down on 1 piece of paper. Ordered them, and even added some notes to the page. Noted who some of the owners are, if they had A/C or were an SE car. Highlighted the ones I have fender tag info on, highlighted in a different color ones I have a copy of the builsheet for and so on and so forth.

Total count comes out like this.

220 Total Known 69 Charger 500's VIN numbers.

72 of those being HEMI 500's.

17 known to have A/C from the factory.

9 cars are known to me to be SE's.

4 of those are known to be SE's with A/C

So the question is, does anyone think they only made the 392? Seems odd to me after today that they would have only made 392, and after only 8 years of writing down information I'd accumulate over half of them.

Highbanked Hauler

The sheet that came with my car is from a 69 SE  with an earlier # than mine.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

hemi68charger

Danny, that is a long time and dedication...... I still don't believe the nearly 580+ number....... But that's me and my rational....

Thanks for sharing..

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

Same here.  We had talked before about attrition rates for 500's not being as severe as other musclecars because of the limited availability status they had right from the beginning.
I'm hanging my hat on the 392 peg still.

69_500

Ah I didn't have a whole lot else going on yesterday, other than watching the BJ acution last night. I can't believe that the Race Daytona didn't go for more than it did. I also had a hard time believing that the HEMI Cuda Convert went for $2M.

I did however locate 1 more VIN last night. Was putting all my papers into one folder for the first time, and ran accross another buildsheet. For another car. So make that 221 cars.

3--Daytona

69-C-500     Hi Danny Boy;;;   Sounds like you spent a lot of time doing research,good for you, keep up the good work.  I was just reading the post on cloneing Daytona's.  I started to respond, but decided not too.  As the owner of three real ones, you can figure out my opinion.
           Got the fence fixed.                           3--daytona

Ghoste

I mentioned in another post, that I think a lot of the buyers at B-J would have no idea about Bobby Allison or what to do with a real Daytona.  It probably is a better reflection on real world pricing on cars.
My understanding on the Cuda was that the deal was prearranged and it was only about generating publicity.  I was told a week ago that it was going to go for 2 to 3 million (my "source" didn't know any details just that it was already sold).  Who knows how true any of that is though.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 3--Daytona on January 22, 2006, 11:11:54 AM
69-C-500     Hi Danny Boy;;;   Sounds like you spent a lot of time doing research,good for you, keep up the good work.  I was just reading the post on cloneing Daytona's.  I started to respond, but decided not too.  As the owner of three real ones, you can figure out my opinion.

Well, shiver-me-timbers !!!  Jim...... You are still out there...   :icon_smile_big:

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

Ah Welcome to the site Jim.

Glad to see ya posting. I didn't figure you'd post in a thread about these lowly 500's when you have 3 Daytona's. I don't think I'm going to make it out to Vegas this year, not enough funds in the bank to do it this year I don't think. Glad to hear ya got that fence fixed, and hope ya didn't have any cattle get loose while it was down.

One of these days I'll drive the 500 on down to MO to visit ya. And yeah if you ask my wife I spend way too much time collecting information on these cars, but what can I say, I LOVE THEM.

hemigeno

Quote from: 3--Daytona on January 22, 2006, 11:11:54 AM

JIM!!!

How's our favorite resident from Jason Bourne's hometown??  I was just wondering last week how you were doing - the topic came up elsewhere about your Green Daytona and the Survivor group's reaction to it.  Hope things are going well for you and that you're and as ornery as ever!

Geno

chargervert

That Bobby Allison Daytona probably started life,as a 69 500,as did most of the race Daytonas!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Danny, you actually wrote all them down on paper?

Gotta teach you Excel buddy ;)

3--Daytona  welcome to the site :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Hemidoug

69_500,
As soon as I can, I'll have 2 more numbers for you and your data base.....I just have to get my butt over to a friends hose to get the info. Both 440 auto cars, one A4 with vinyl roof and a/c, the other is yellow with black gut.
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

nascarxx29

I might have those 2 69 500s vins If those are cars .I seen along time ago .If these were the ones in Sufferen .One was gold with white painted roof.And the other car was A4 silver
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

Yeah Chris, I wrote them all down by hand on paper. I'm working on getting them all put in a spreadsheet. But I'm trying to figure out if I want them in a few different spread sheets. I would like them to be able to be sorted by VIN's in order, as well as being able to enter in the fender tag inforamation to be able to sort cars by how many had what options. Ie so if someone asks how many cars were R4 red, with black interior, and were 4 speeds I could get it figured up without having to sort through all the papers.

It is a stack of papers too let me tell ya.

One of these days I'll have it organized in a system that is fast and easy, but in the mean time I keep plugging away at it.At least now its all in the same pile of papers, and not strung in one room to another room to another room in our house, which made my wife happy. No longer have scraps of papes in the living room with VIN numbers on them, or telephone messages from 2 years ago with VINs and fender tag info on them in the kitchen.

69_500

Got a question for Ghoste, the first HEMI 500 is going up for auction right? RM auction in February? Did the advertise it in HEMMINGS? If so they put the wrong year, if not then is this the famed HEMI 500 from 1970 that was at Carlisle quite a few years back?

1970 Dodge Charger Beverly Hills, CA
DODGE: 1970 Charger 500, 426 Hemi, red with black interior and white bumblebee stripe, this is the Pilot Line car, yes, it's #1 and it's real! Documentation from Chrysler and Govier, a suitcase full, unmolested and completely original; being sold at the RM Collector Car Auction in Boca Raton, FL, Feb 10-12. Contact Donnie Gould, 954-566-2209, FL; or dgould@rmauctions.com 

694spdRT

Are the 500's that you documented include only one's that are still around or some that have not survived as well? Curious to know how many are still around out of the 220 or more you have.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

69_500

It includes quite a few that are known to have gone the way of salvage yards over the years. However there are quite a few that were found in junkyards that have since been restored and are being driven/stored as of now too.

I have 7 that are listed as being trashed and gone to junkyards. Then I also have 6 engines that I have seen over the years for sale, 4 HEMI's and 2 440's that bear Charger 500's VIN's but haven't ever seen the cars that go to them. So anybodies guess is what happened to these cars back in the day. Were the cars trashed and the motors salvaed? Or was the motor thought to be blown and someone bought it and rebuilt it, and the car is still out there somewhere? Also have a few VIN's that were to cars that were stolen and haven't been recovered as of yet too.

nascarxx29

Wasnt that pilot 70 charger hemi the first made. That was a XP 29.I seen that car along time ago
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

Right but I don't think it is the 1970 Charger 500, because the add says origional and unmolested. Which to me rules out the 1 1970 Charger 500 i've heard of that had a HEMI.

Highbanked Hauler

I have personaly seen 3 500s in salvage yards in the late 70s.One was barrel rolled and junk,the other two were rebuildable by todays standards but not in the 70s.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

69_500

I do make a note of the cars that were in junkyards and of which people tell me or that I see that  I don't see how you would restore them without rebodying them. In those cases I put a note next to the VIN stating such. So that if they show up years later at a show, or restored then a potential buyer can know this information and not be sold on the idea of it being an all origional sheetmetal or such car.

Highbanked Hauler

I am almost sure these cars were crushed.This was a production yard and I don't think much stayed there more than 3 months.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

69_500

I'm thinking that quite a few of the C500's were crushed years ago in yards that no one will ever know about. Because from what I can gather it seems that for years these cars weren't very well known. I mean I have talked to several origional owners who say that they origionally thought they were just getting another 69 Charger, and wasn't until later that they realized how rare it was.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: 69_500 on January 23, 2006, 12:41:23 PM
I'm thinking that quite a few of the C500's were crushed years ago in yards that no one will ever know about. Because from what I can gather it seems that for years these cars weren't very well known. I mean I have talked to several origional owners who say that they origionally thought they were just getting another 69 Charger, and wasn't until later that they realized how rare it was.
That was me,I didn't know there was a difference till I saw my car parked beside another 69 charger and thought I got screwed.Little did I know I got a deal of a lifetime.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser