News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger 500's

Started by 69_500, January 21, 2006, 06:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

i saw the car at carlisle also  for sure a fixer but lots of damage .  Will take alot of work  .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Bob T

Pretty heavy rot under the window vin...
So, is the seller realistic asking 45k with the nos parts, given it will need everything plus a trans,  Or in the  ballpark guys??
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Shelby67air

I saw it too, I heard he refused $30,000 for it. I took a lot of pictures of it for reference for my car. I will post some when I get home.

moparstuart

I thought a realistic price was 30-35k but thats just my  :Twocents:   being a dark green , automatic car  I would think closer to 30 k  .  

5hunert

Interesting transition period, its an XX on the dashboard Vin, and an XS on the fender tag.

ws23rt

Quote from: 5hunert on August 02, 2013, 05:47:28 PM
Interesting transition period, its an XX on the dashboard Vin, and an XS on the fender tag.

I was wondering the same thing. Come on Danny any help on this transition period?

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

C500

Nov 14 '68 is the first date the XX vin went on the VIN tag in dash. This is my 500's  build date, but has XS on the block and trans,
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

moparstuart

Quote from: C500 on August 02, 2013, 06:37:49 PM
Nov 14 '68 is the first date the XX vin went on the VIN tag in dash. This is my 500's  build date, but has XS on the block and trans,
rick edwards has an odd ball that was built in december ( if i remember correctly ) but got XS on the dash

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: 5hunert on August 02, 2013, 05:47:28 PM

thats what mine is and the build sheet(wrong one) that was in it was in Oct.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

richRTSE

Quote from: C500 on August 02, 2013, 06:37:49 PM
Nov 14 '68 is the first date the XX vin went on the VIN tag in dash. This is my 500's  build date, but has XS on the block and trans,

:scratchchin: I dont think that is correct...my 500 has a 929 build date and has the XX vin on the dash, but XS on fender tag and engine block...and also the hemi car being discussed has a 907 build date with XX dash vin XS fender tag

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

69_500

You guys are right November 14th seems to be the transition date from XS on fender tags to XX. Before that date I have not seen a single one say XX. After that date they all say it and on that date they are amid bag. Broadcast sheets seem to be transitioning around same time frame too, but it seems to be all of them say XX after Nobember 20. Only saw one so far that is B20 that still says XS.

5hunert

Mine's a Nov. 20th.  Both tags are XX, but both the engine and trans numbers have over strikes on the second digit.  They were both stamped XS, then the S was over struck with an X.  The build sheet (wrong car, 30 numbers off) had XS at the top.

WINGMAN

When i had mine build date 9/20/68 the block had the s overstamped with a X. Tag had XS and vin was XX. Sometimes i wish i had her back but i know it is in good hands.  JR.(Wingman)
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

moparstuart

Quote from: WINGMAN on August 04, 2013, 01:44:01 PM
  When i had mine build date 9/20/68 the block had the s overstamped with a X. Tag had XS and vin was XX. Sometimes i wish i had her back but i know it is in good hands.  JR.(Wingman)
I hope my daytona is still safe and sound  :icon_smile_big:

69_500

Just a bump on this old thread about 500's.

ws23rt

Thanks for that Danny. :2thumbs:
Some of the fun with the C500 is they are kind of in between the others.

I would like to hear more from those that bought them new. :shruggy:  
Questions like---How were these promoted by the dealers?   Were the differences from the plain old/new chargers what moved someone to buy?  Were they discounted because they were odd etc.?

I've heard lot's of how the Daytona's and ---the other brand (Plymouth cars) :slap:--tended to be a hard sell because of the numbers of cars that were made from a decision that was not based on customer demand.

My curiosity comes from thinking about our hobby in general.  Sometimes a cars history is traced back to the original owner but I've heard little about the experience from them :shruggy:

Highbanked Hauler

Are you looking for what the situation was like when the original owner got the car or did I miss something ? :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

ws23rt

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on December 17, 2014, 08:50:01 PM
Are you looking for what the situation was like when the original owner got the car or did I miss something ? :shruggy:

Not so much the situation with buying the car.
I bought my first new car in 69.  --a 383 superbee-- At the time I had no clue what a C500 was and first heard about them about a year later.
I'm just curious about the car in general from the beginning and in my question is my interest in how they fit in with the other chargers for sale at the time.

500Jon

Hi Aero's,

I was getting worried about the vin/title errors on my 500 too?
When I register next year in the UK I will take my vin plate with me and get the 'XS' title corrected (hopefully).
Not sure what to do about the engine block being 'XS' though?
Just stamping over the 'S' with an 'X' looks real bad to me???

I will probably just leave that alone methinks and hope most Folks won't notice?
My 69 Sixpack Superbee only had the numbers stamped with no additional info.
Maybe Coronet engines built somewhere else to the Chargers in 69?

5J
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

5hunert

I'm sure the number stamping accuracy had something to do with how much the assembly line worker was drinking (or smoking?) on their previous break.  By all means leave your block number alone.  It's historic record.  Better be a factory goof than a tampered serial number.

My how things have changed.  When I was working on a Kenworth assembly line, it was not uncommon to replace an entire frame rail on a freshly completed semi truck because of the smallest issue with the serial number stamped in the frame.  We're talking an easy 50 hours of overtime pay + the cost of the new rail. 

69_500

Jon if your engine and trans are stamped XS I would highly recommend leaving it that way. Many are stamped that way. Many are double stamped from factory too.

5hunert

Quote from: 5hunert on August 04, 2013, 10:33:19 AM
Mine's a Nov. 20th.  Both tags are XX, but both the engine and trans numbers have over strikes on the second digit.  They were both stamped XS, then the S was over struck with an X.  The build sheet (wrong car, 30 numbers off) had XS at the top.
Just an update. I found my car's broadcast sheet; it had an XS number on the top, November 20 build.

69_500

November 20th seems to the transition date on broadcast sheets from XS to XX. Fender tags switched on November 14.