News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flat/Matte Black Paintjob Questions & Advice - Malibu is BLACKED OUT!!

Started by bill440rt, December 26, 2011, 11:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

OK, car has been primed, & guide-coated. I was really hoping to use Evercoat's Uro-Fill, but the jobber sold him some Nason 2K. It worked OK, not as good as the Uro-fill, but I think it'll do the job. Everything was given 3 coats except the roof which was given 2. The roof didn't need any work.

I'm meeting with a paint rep on Tuesday to discuss PPG, & other options. We'll start blocking & jambing it out soon.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

jaak

Nice Work, Bill  :2thumbs: Doesn't bother me that its a Chevy.... I love looking at bodywork/paint pics no matter what type of vehicle it is.

Thanks for sharing,
Jason

squeakfinder

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bill440rt

Well, we finally got the Malibu painted last weekend now that winter is behind us.
I jambed it out for him the previous weekend. We decided to use PPG. Paint process consisted of black DP primer mixed as a sealer, black DBU basecoat, and 2060 Flexed-n-Flat clear. I laid out some test panels, one with straight F-n-F clear and the other cocktailed with some 2002 Concept Clear as an eggshell mix. Straight F-n-F clear is VERY flat, no gloss at all. The eggshell mix was a VERY nice satin finish, so my friend decided on that. It's a weird mix, ratio is 9.5-parts F-n-F to 1-part 2002 clear, then reduced & hardener added.

I've never shot an overall flat job before, so I can say now that the base/clear was totally the right way to go. This is AWESOME stuff!  :yesnod:
VERY easy to use to achieve a uniform finish. Just had to watch to make sure each batch was mixed exactly, and to lay it on evenly & watch your spray gun overlap. (Brian & Paul, THANKS!!  :cheers: )

Paint job consisted of one coat of black sealer, two coats of black DBU base, and then two coats of F-n-F clear. Sprayed at 70*, baked for 1/2 hour at 140*. Paint was still a little soft, so we let it dry overnight after the bake cycle.
Here's how it looked in the booth, and then when we pulled it out the next morning. I'll try to get some other pics too when he has it back together.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

A few more...  :popcrn:

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

deanj309

What would be the cost to have a paint job like that done? And how would it be in the rain?,,,nice job!!!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69 OUR/TEA

Looks real nice Bill,great job!!!!!! :cheers: Was wondering how you were gonna like the 2060,glad to see you like it. :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Hey guys, thanks!
Paul & Brian, thanks for the tip-off on the 2060. Damn, that is some NICE stuff to use! Hardest part was just dialing in a mix to see what sheen my friend liked. But even that was easy because I used one of PPG's mix ratios so it worked out. Yeah Brian, it DOES kinda look like e-coat, but it's just a tad on the flat side from it.

Chris, maybe this might come in handy for some V21?  :scratchchin:  :whistling:  :icon_smile_wink:  :2thumbs:

Thanks Jason, TT, & Dino!  :2thumbs:

Dean, cost depends on a lot of factors: prep work involved/body work, labor cost/market area, size of the car, etc. Too many factors.
I can say that as far as materials, he purchased 2 quarts of DP primer, 3 quarts of DBU base, and 3 quarts of clear, not to mention the hardeners/reducers to go along with it. Tab on that was about $750 give or take. But, we had 1 quart of DP & 1 quart of base left over so he can return those back. That also doesn't include primers or other misc materials (tape, sandpaper, etc etc etc).
It is a clear just like other modern urethanes just pre-flattened, so it will hold up to the elements best.

myk

Good Lord man.  Listening to you guys talk body work 'tech is like listening to people speaking in a different language.  Hats off to all of you, especially you Bill, that's a great looking car...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

BananaDan

*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

SRT-440

Awesome!! Looks great. Now do the same thing with my GN. LOL
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Budnicks

"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Cooter

So, WTF Bill, it looks like it runs deep in 9's @ around 140 Plus...What the hell is in it? SB, BB, LS?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

Quote from: Cooter on April 11, 2012, 06:29:07 AM
So, WTF Bill, it looks like it runs deep in 9's @ around 140 Plus...What the hell is in it? SB, BB, LS?

Hey, Cooter!  :wave:  (Did they get rid of that ignore feature on here already??)   :icon_smile_wink:  (Yes, I'm really kidding again!)
See the first post.

Quote from: bill440rt on December 26, 2011, 11:01:50 PM

I'm helping a neighbor friend of mine paint his '81 Malibu 2-dr hardtop. This is NOT a show car, it is primarily a race car but can be street driven. It's powered by a 454 with nitrous, and it'll run very low-10's in the 1/4. He wants it painted matte black.

454 BBC with nitrous. Low 10-sec car. However, it also has a full interior & that is thru the mufflers, and it is street driven. He is one of the track announcers here at the legendary Old Bridge Raceway Park. He drives it to the track, races it, then drives it home.

Quote from: SRT-440 on April 10, 2012, 04:48:22 PM
Awesome!! Looks great. Now do the same thing with my GN. LOL

You near NJ, SRT??   :scratchchin: :cheers:

He's almost done putting the rest of it back together. Looks really good now with the bumpers, grille, etc back on it. I can try to get some final pics up if any of you guys are interested.

SRT-440

Nope...I'm in Arkansas. My cars biggest problem is little dings and dents...looks like the previous owner set the hood on the roof while installing the motor...little dents comparable to hail damage but not random.
The doors also are wavey...ugh...so it needs lotsa love before any paint can go on.

But looks like u did a amazing job making sure this car is nice and straight!
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

69finder

Your 'flat black' paint is better than some people's 'show cars!'  Outstanding work, just goes to show how proper prep makes the best results.

Cooter

Hey, Cooter!  :wave:  (Did they get rid of that ignore feature on here already??)   :icon_smile_wink:  (Yes, I'm really kidding again!)
See the first post.

Nope, I can still see pictures and from the other responses, your name kept coming up. But, I think I will "allow" you again. Seems time I guess. :angel:

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BananaDan

*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein