News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flat/Matte Black Paintjob Questions & Advice - Malibu is BLACKED OUT!!

Started by bill440rt, December 26, 2011, 11:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

FLG

Great work Bill!

Always expect nothing less, your way to modest!

superbirdtom

Quote from: jaak on December 27, 2011, 10:20:14 AM
I agree with you Bill, I would probably lean toward base/flat clear. I have used a single stage 'hot rod black' urethane on smaller stuff, and it has got to be sprayed consistent to get a nice uniform finish. With a single stage urethane the closer you spray its more semi-gloss, then the further away you spray it, it gets flatter. Don't get me wrong the 'HRB' single stage is a good paint, but painting an entire car, base/clear is probably the way to go.
Also I have read about using rustoleum and others using John Deere's Blitz Black, but with those paints I have also read there is no UV protection, and if the car is outside a lot, they will fade. I think they are both lacquer based products.

Jason
ppg makes a flat clear caled flat and flexed. i use it on flexible pars   but could be used on a complete.   so if  your substrate is moving around under heat whatever it won't crack. and it holds up well .

bill440rt

Quote from: FLG on April 15, 2012, 02:49:20 AM
Great work Bill!

Always expect nothing less, your way to modest!

Hey Frank, thanks! Good seeing you when you stopped down. How's that HEMI coming along??  :scratchchin:

Tom, yes Flexed-n-Flat is what I used for clear, cocktailed with 2002 for an eggshell finish.

So, just a little update here (no pun intended). My buddy called me over the other night, wanted to show me the progress on the car. He presented me with this little awesome piece of work. Unbeknownst to me, the whole time we were working on this car he was busy building this Charger to show his thanks. VERY cool!
It is a model Charger in paint prep stage. The car is in guide coat & being blocked, half of it is block sanded with sanding sludge on it & masked off, it is very detailed! He really did a great job on it, pics & words do not do it justice. I was completely blown away he would take the time to do something like this. It's in a nice clear display case, & resides in a nice spot on my shelf.
Awesome!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce