News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona aluminum wing

Started by Daytona Guy, August 03, 2005, 11:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

I am putting in another order for an aluminum wing. I like to stay ahead of game for my next project. I have a few people already on board and I have room for two more. After this I am done for about 6 years in casting these. (I hope) interested e-mail me DGjesdal@aol.com The cost is $650.00. + shipping. I do this to help cloners. They will be fresh out of the foundry.

"Thallium"on his wing -

Daytona R/T SE

How much prep work is required on these wings? I'm assuming they are just the bare castings, with no holes drilled and no hardware-got a pic of what they look like?  Tell me about the casting shrinkage and just how much difference (dimensionally) there is betwwen your wing and a stock one...

Daytona Guy

Tabe is sitting on one. (Above) For pics ask Tabe or Big block Sam to post a pic of theirs. I do not have any pics of them. The only piece that is shorter is the upright piece. I believe it is about 1/4 inch shorter, could be a half, depending on the aluminum blend.  That is the only diff. I have had mine side by side to an original Daytona, and the height of the wing was never an issue. On the horizontal piece I add a lengthener. And yes to all that you said. It is rough and you have to do all the work to it. There are no holes. I really do not care if someone want these or not, I am just doing them at a little over cost and to help those who want aluminum wings. I get bugged about it a lot - To make these, because the other options are just not viable as i see it. 

Daytona Guy

By the way, no one has ever accused me of having a to short of a wing :icon_smile_big:

thallium

They are castings from an original wing. They are just like an original daytona wing. Dimesnsionally, with any casting there is going to be some shrinkage. You can not tell with the naked eye though. Prepwise, just take a grinder and remove some of the burrs etc. Then when you are ready, a slight glaze of bondo over the whole wing to make it smooth. Also you'll have to drill and tap the holes or have a maching shop do it for you. It's really not a big deal. Even a dummy like myself was able to drill and tap my own holes. The shrinkage is very very minimal.   It is super strong and you wont have to worry about flexing or cracking like a fiberglass wing.    That picture above is one of danes wings. They are so strong, my fat butt could sit on it without any problems as you can see.   I'm happy with what I got and if you are looking to do a daytona project, you might consider getting one.   It's not like you can go down to the local hardware store and pick one up any day of the week.

Daytona Guy

In a couple of weeks we need to get together and cruise up and down Fourth Plain.

bull

Quote from: Daytona Guy on August 04, 2005, 01:27:22 AM
In a couple of weeks we need to get together and cruise up and down Fourth Plain.

Yea, and you had better take your buddy bull along or he'll be pretty pissed off!

bull

BTW Dane, are you planning on doing the Gresham show again this year? If so do you know when it is? In case you uppity wing guys exclude me from a local cruise just minutes from my house I'd like to at least see the yellow clone in Gresham. ;D

Daytona Guy

I'll be there. Lord willing. Aug 13th.

bull

Quote from: Daytona Guy on August 04, 2005, 01:39:11 AM
I'll be there. Lord willing. Aug 13th.

Good. Lord willing I'll be there too.

Oh and Mike, let me know if you need a wing man for any impromptu Fourth or Mill Plain cruises. Or if you need someone to blow the carbon out of the purple beast. I'll be willing. Also, now that you no longer have an all blue R/T are you going to stick with the name AllBlueRT?

wetfeetmi

I have one of these wings! I bought it on e-bay several months ago. I think it was shipped from Chicago area to me in MI. I haven't done any finish work yet, but it looks like a nice piece. Rick

PocketThunder

How soon do you need the cash?  I'd like one but the charger fund is down right now while i sell my house.....  I'll be back in action i probably 2 months..  I'd like to build a clone to go with my 500 someday...
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

Dane i emailed you , i want one! guys Dane is offering you a great deal on these wings. it's almost excact to the old nascar wings. fiiberglass wings suck they shake over  100 mph, plus with age they sag. thanks for the offer Dane i'm in. 
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Old Moparz

I got mine in the beginning of the year from Dane & it looks good. (Thanks again, Dane) When I found out he was getting a couple done & offered to add one more, I jumped on it so I wouldn't have to take a stab at the helpgagme offerings or end up making one from scrap wood. Yes, halpag eBayed a few, & when I asked about where they came from, they played dumb. (Not too hard for them either.)

Even the cat couldn't tell it wasn't an original.

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

BigBlockSam

i bought one of those   halpag wings from oscar. nice wing correct hieght and smoothed out too but not drilled for the studs. that was good cause they drill there wings wrong. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

Dane, The check's in the mail...can't wait.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona Guy

I'm sure I will open a can of worms with this.

From my studies and being raised in an engineer family, here are some of my discoveries of the trunk/wing reinforcements of the Daytona.

Adjustable Base
Look at the engineering of the adjustable base. Looks pretty weak, but not if you understand the dynamics involved. It is not designed for down force like most people may think.. If down force was the issue, then that adjustable base is completely inadequate.

Lift to Drag
Among other things, there are two basic laws of physics/aerodynamics involved. Lift = (You have to think upside down when talking about lift, because the wing is an inverted "Clark" wing. Therefore, Lift =   Down Force for a Daytona wing)   Drag is created by friction of mass going through air - plus the more lift that is created the more drag forces are involved.

The wing's base will want to lift in the front the more drag that is generated. The back base of the of the vertical stabilizer will carry most of the down force. Notice that the reinforcement bracing is to the front of the wing. The back quarter was adequate. What this wing reinforcement does at high speeds is fascinating. It neutralized the stress and uses down and up forces to stabilize the wing.   The down force is distributed throughout the whole back of the quarter panel and the trunk by neutralizing the energy created.

If it was all about down force and having 500 pounds bearing down on that little L shaped base adjustment bracket, then someone needed to be fired. Look at the picture. You have a thin trunk and a thin base adjuster. I could stand on that L Shaped base adjuster and bend it and I weigh 175 lbs.

The wing trunk reinforcements are useful at speeds over 150 MPH. Many dealer installed wings where placed on Chargers and the trunk bracing was never used. The Wing washers were. You can use the braces or not. It all depends on what you are going to use your car for.

wetfeetmi

Dane, I'm just a dumb hick blue collar here in S.W. MI. However, when I open my trunk lid, I need to see braces! Maybe my car will not know the difference, but it wouldn't look right without them. I might sleep a little better knowing they are there too! Cheap insurance.
I once saw a photo of a couple of nice looking young ladies perched on a Superbird wing, and I have to believe the quarter panels were thankful for braces. Rick

bull

Quote from: AllBlueRT on August 04, 2005, 10:53:24 AM
Quote from: AllBlueRT on August 04, 2005, 01:17:15 AM
I'll talk with my wife tomorrow Dane.   It wouldn't hurt to have an extra.   I'm trying to build an extra parts stash. :icon_smile_tongue:

I can't have both Dane.   Remember what I asked about was for sale earlier?

Cruise 4th Plain, right on.   Bull took me down it a couple times last time he drove Blue.   2 wing cars cruisin' is sure to cause an accident. :)

Change my username?   It's mike mopar already at Style.   I've been thinking about it.     I'm thinking about having Bill paint the wingcar as well.   How about AllBlackClone? ;)

Black? You must have more energy than I do. You'll need a telescopic handle for the dust mop to get the top of the wing. How about "IownaDayclona" for a username?

thallium

That picture is with at least 180+ lbs without any braces. It can take a lot more without any problems. Believe me, that picture is proof that it can take the weight without braces.    I can even grab the wing and shake the whole car.

BigBlockSam

Quotewhen I open my trunk lid, I need to see braces!

:iagree:

bull

Guys, I think Dane knows what he's talking about. He's only done 9 or 10 Daytona clones.

hotrod98

We're talking cosmetics, bull...not structural integrity.
Any one have the dimensions for building the braces? They look simple enough to me, just hard to tell what size material to use from the pics. If someone were to give me the exact dimensions,including material thickness, I might build a few sets for cost of materials + shipping. I have a welding table to build jigs on and a chop saw for cutting...I can tig or mig them. Sometimes I just love to have an excuse to weld. I'm not interested in making any $, but could help out a few people on the board. I wish that I could find an original set to borrow, I could duplicate them identically then.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona Guy

Do not get me wrong. I am going to put braces in my trunk next year for cosmetics. I just do not want anyone to feel that they have to have them if they cannot afford them. I just think it is fascinating how they designed the braces.

One more note - I feel I am missing someone. If you want a wing and have contacted me, send me another email for insurance - I do not do this very well and I'm flying by the seat of my pants. Just do not want to leave someone out. I am taking the wing in in the morning.

Charger_Fan

Geez, this is soooo tempting. If I had the extra fundage, I'd be all over it.

In 6 years, I'll be more prepared. :wave:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)