News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NICE SUPERBIRD CLONE ON EBAY . HIT THE RESERVE ALREADY

Started by BigBlockSam, January 13, 2012, 06:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

70Sbird

Quote from: held1823 on January 19, 2012, 04:55:26 PM
i'll be damned, if our 'lil aero car forum debacle isn't keeping up with the joneses...

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7025678&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1&nt=2

I have been watching that one too...
Just waiting for a link over there to our little "discussion" here! :lol:

Scott Faulkner

mauve66

when i do see one at a show i don't bother looking at the VIN, i could care less whether it is real or not, usually there is a sign or something to tell u anyway, i just like looking at cool cars and they don't have to be 100% bone stock to be cool either
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

pettybird

I immediately look at every VIN of every car I like at a show.  Then I read the fender tag.  No joke.

funny on that moparts thread.  more fake car owners assuming that people with real cars can't have any fun, or do burnouts, or whatever...

hot rod=personalize to your liking

clone/tribute/fake/replica=building the car to look like a different factory car of similar specification

BigBlockSam

QuoteI immediately look at every VIN of every car I like at a show

:rotz:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

404NOTFOUND

I also check the VINs at shows. I like to know which plant built the car and how far along in the model year it was built. Sure would be cool to find the car that is consecutive to mine. Fat chance of that though. I like clones if they are relatively correct looking and cars with period correct modifications but I admire the originals more. As for Charger and Charger Daytona/Superbird convertibles, cars with triple wings and so on, sorry, don't want to offend but, I don't like em. I think cars like that just confuse the public to the point that nobody outside our group knows what a Charger is anymore.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

chargermike

the car looks funny. but cool hot rod.  and most wing people i've met  were really cool guys. they love talking about the car. gotta say never met a winged asshole. never.  most mopar people seem real cool. we all seem to bunch together at car shows. and the wing guys do the same. dont know where you all live. but in colorado mopar is mopar and were all equal. wing or no wing. but got to say this you tag readers need to get a life. it's a car. nothing more. i get tag readers all the time and just tell them to move on. and then i tell them YES IT WAS A 318 CAR.  it's not wing car people who are jerks. it's the tag readers.  who cares what it was. its a beautiful 440 car now.  it's not factory and i dont care. clone or real there just the coolest car ever. it's your car do with it what you will. if someone dont like it.....fuck them. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

richRTSE

Quote from: pettybird on January 19, 2012, 03:11:24 PM
Quote from: richRTSE on January 19, 2012, 01:58:22 PM
not alot of us can afford the real ones. Clones are as close as we'll get. And with so few real ones around, clones are also as close as many people will get to seeing one cruising around.  :icon_smile_big:

I don't get the 'clones are as close as people get to seeing one' thing, either.  Honestly--there are over 1,200 surviving wing cars vs how many clones?  In northeast Ohio there are more than 15 real cars to two clones, and one of those is ours.  Obviously we're not a normal area, but again clones aren't clogging the streets.

:yesnod: yes, you are right...clones aren't clogging the street either. Obviously my comment isn't true about most of the people in this forum, but was meant more so about the general public. Anyone really into mopars is gonna see one at most major shows...Carlisle, Mopar Nats, Chrysler Classics, etc...or if they live near someone like you who does take their real car out alot. But I think (and please don't take this the wrong way Doug) your perspective is a bit skewed because your family has always had wingcars, so for you that's the norm. I'm sure over the years people at shows have asked you "what is that?" about one of your wing cars. A few years ago I was parked at a "all makes" carshow next to Gary's B5 Daytona clone and heard several people ask the person they were with "what is that thing?" So for them, the only Daytona they've ever seen was a clone...not to mention all the A12 clones, Hemicuda clones, Shelby clones, LS6 clones, etc...some people have never seen a "real" car and don't even known it...

...and yes, you can spend alot of money building a clone. But often times the buy-in to get a real one is just too much. I'm betting you couldn't build a real hemi Daytona for double what Brian (1hotdaytona) has in his white clone. We've all seen the burned out, rotted out shells sell for $30-40k, essentially just to buy the VIN....these cars are rare, and desirable, and the demand far outweighs the supply...I guess it really comes down to how badly someone wants a real one...

edit: I meant to say the white Daytona clone is Brian's (1hotdaytona), not Larry's (although the black and red one he made is awesome too).

nvrbdn

well, everyone finds their own way to enjoy the sport. or mabey car owning isnt a sport but a hobby. anyway, if a guy likes to read tags, thats what he does. thats the way he enjoys the hobby by finding the past. whats wrong with that? that doesnt mean he doesnt like your car, just likes to track history. those are usually the guys that could tell you statistic's of every plant etc..........they also see what # in the chain these cars were produced.in the collector car world,its all about those vin's and tags.im not a tag watcher, or statistic keeper, or option guy. but we all read the crap out of the knowledge that these guys retain. just enjoy the hobby how ever you choose.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

Quote from: nvrbdn on January 20, 2012, 09:17:49 AM
well, everyone finds their own way to enjoy the sport. or mabey car owning isnt a sport but a hobby. anyway, if a guy likes to read tags, thats what he does. thats the way he enjoys the hobby by finding the past. whats wrong with that? that doesnt mean he doesnt like your car, just likes to track history. those are usually the guys that could tell you statistic's of every plant etc..........they also see what # in the chain these cars were produced.in the collector car world,its all about those vin's and tags.im not a tag watcher, or statistic keeper, or option guy. but we all read the crap out of the knowledge that these guys retain. just enjoy the hobby how ever you choose.
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: to each there own  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

pettybird

Quote from: richRTSE on January 20, 2012, 09:11:51 AM
But I think (and please don't take this the wrong way Doug) your perspective is a bit skewed

...and yes, you can spend alot of money building a clone. But often times the buy-in to get a real one is just too much. I'm betting Larry couldn't build a real hemi Daytona for double what he has in his white clone. We've all seen the burned out, rotted out shells sell for $30-40k, essentially just to buy the VIN....these cars are rare, and desirable, and the demand far outweighs the supply...I guess it really comes down to how badly someone wants a real one...

I take great offense.  not only my perspective, but overall I'm highly skewed.  ask anyone who knows me  :lol:

can you build a real hemi daytona for the cost of a clone?  of course not.  could he have had a driver Superbird for the cost of the build?  yes.  would I rather have a driver 'bird over a perfect hemi clone?  i think I've demonstrated that!

I also love tag reading.  I even like tag reading when a car isn't what it should be.  The coolest mopars (aside from aeros, of course) are the oddballs that were made.  We have a gorgeous purple '70 hemicuda clone here at work that just happened to be sand pebble beige with black body side moldings and an F8 bench interior.  How retched!  then again, who the hell would have ordered that?  it's fun to see the combinations. 

I get positively giddy when I see cars close to ours, and I just about fall over when I see another Canadian Daytona (VIN starts with 414!)  There are TWO Canadian F8 Daytonas in NE Ohio...awesome!

Did I mention I'm skewed?

moparstuart

:shortbus: :shortbus: :shortbus:
Quote from: pettybird on January 20, 2012, 11:00:21 AM
Quote from: richRTSE on January 20, 2012, 09:11:51 AM
But I think (and please don't take this the wrong way Doug) your perspective is a bit skewed

...and yes, you can spend alot of money building a clone. But often times the buy-in to get a real one is just too much. I'm betting Larry couldn't build a real hemi Daytona for double what he has in his white clone. We've all seen the burned out, rotted out shells sell for $30-40k, essentially just to buy the VIN....these cars are rare, and desirable, and the demand far outweighs the supply...I guess it really comes down to how badly someone wants a real one...

I take great offense.  not only my perspective, but overall I'm highly skewed.  ask anyone who knows me  :lol:

can you build a real hemi daytona for the cost of a clone?  of course not.  could he have had a driver Superbird for the cost of the build?  yes.  would I rather have a driver 'bird over a perfect hemi clone?  i think I've demonstrated that!

I also love tag reading.  I even like tag reading when a car isn't what it should be.  The coolest mopars (aside from aeros, of course) are the oddballs that were made.  We have a gorgeous purple '70 hemicuda clone here at work that just happened to be sand pebble beige with black body side moldings and an F8 bench interior.  How retched!  then again, who the hell would have ordered that?  it's fun to see the combinations. 

I get positively giddy when I see cars close to ours, and I just about fall over when I see another Canadian Daytona (VIN starts with 414!)  There are TWO Canadian F8 Daytonas in NE Ohio...awesome!

Did I mention I'm skewed?
:shortbus: :shortbus: :shortbus: :D :2thumbs:

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

mauve66

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on January 20, 2012, 07:30:10 AM
I also check the VINs at shows. I like to know which plant built the car and how far along in the model year it was built. Sure would be cool to find the car that is consecutive to mine. Fat chance of that though. I like clones if they are relatively correct looking and cars with period correct modifications but I admire the originals more. As for Charger and Charger Daytona/Superbird convertibles, cars with triple wings and so on, sorry, don't want to offend but, I don't like em. I think cars like that just confuse the public to the point that nobody outside our group knows what a Charger is anymore.

before i ever got to the wing i've had people ask what year my challenger and MUSTANG was, car people will know, non-car people won't remember the conversation the next day
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Charger-Bodie

not alot of us can afford the real ones. Clones are as close as we'll get. And with so few real ones around, clones are also as close as many people will get to seeing one cruising around.  :icon_smile_big:

two things:

I can appreciate the work that went into the white car above.  That said, what the hell was the total bill on that thing???  It's gorgeous, and that doesn't come cheap.  If it was someone with the time and talent to do it themselves, more power to them, but if you have to pay for something like that you're in for tens of thousands of dollars, and you still have a fake car.  There are enough driver Superbirds lying around that you could have (and there are sales in the past 2-3 years to prove it) that you could have had a real live car for about the same money.  Driver clones are one thing--you really DO have less money in them--but the flawless recreations leave me scratching my head.  If I couldn't have what I wanted, and I had the skills to create something so beautiful, I'd pull off the bodywork equivalent of Troy trades until I did.  I know a lot of people who did just that to get what they wanted, wing car, Chevy or whatever.  One of my good friends here flipped in and out of six cars to get his 'bird, and my best friend had to flip four.  

I don't get the 'clones are as close as people get to seeing one' thing, either.  Honestly--there are over 1,200 surviving wing cars vs how many clones?  In northeast Ohio there are more than 15 real cars to two clones, and one of those is ours.  Obviously we're not a normal area, but again clones aren't clogging the streets.

That is My White Daytona clone. To be honest I would rather have My car than a real Superbird. The Daytona does way more for me than a bird. Dont get me wrong Birds are a cool car,just not nearly as cool to me as a "Charger Daytona".
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

rainbow4jd

not alot of us can afford the real ones. Clones are as close as we'll get. And with so few real ones around, clones are also as close as many people will get to seeing one cruising around.  :icon_smile_big:

two things:

I can appreciate the work that went into the white car above.  That said, what the hell was the total bill on that thing???  It's gorgeous, and that doesn't come cheap.  If it was someone with the time and talent to do it themselves, more power to them, but if you have to pay for something like that you're in for tens of thousands of dollars, and you still have a fake car.  There are enough driver Superbirds lying around that you could have (and there are sales in the past 2-3 years to prove it) that you could have had a real live car for about the same money.  Driver clones are one thing--you really DO have less money in them--but the flawless recreations leave me scratching my head.  If I couldn't have what I wanted, and I had the skills to create something so beautiful, I'd pull off the bodywork equivalent of Troy trades until I did.  I know a lot of people who did just that to get what they wanted, wing car, Chevy or whatever.  One of my good friends here flipped in and out of six cars to get his 'bird, and my best friend had to flip four. 

I don't get the 'clones are as close as people get to seeing one' thing, either.  Honestly--there are over 1,200 surviving wing cars vs how many clones?  In northeast Ohio there are more than 15 real cars to two clones, and one of those is ours.  Obviously we're not a normal area, but again clones aren't clogging the streets.

Labors of love have no price tag.   I knew a guy who spent nearly three years trying to build a ship in a bottle.  He was damn proud of it when he was done.  But for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would put that much time into something NO ONE really cares about but him.   Until I realized, he didnt do it for anyone else  - he did it for himself. 

I don't have a problem with anyone having fun and I don't think its any of my business to be a grump about it.  I have fun with mine, you have fun with yours. 

rainbow4jd

sorry pettybird - didn't realize that it sounded like I was directing my reply AT you.

It was a rhetorical.

By the way, I think the real issue, which causes the animosity, is that there is a fear that if ENOUGH clones are out there, then someone with a REAL bird or tona may lose value.   i.e. Mr Moneybags comes along and says, "I don't care whether its original or clone, I just want one to have fun and I'll pay ONE MILLION DOLLARS because I think his clone looks better than your original"

It's all about fear in my mind.

SBBob

WOW!  I don't know where to start.  I am lucky enough to have a real car.  And anyone who knows me knows that I drive the heck out of it.  From Seattle to the 1999 reunion.  7,500 miles in 2 weeks - IT WAS THE BEST 2 WEEKS OF MY LIFE IN THE CAR WORLD!!!!!!  But when I got there the grief I got was crazy.  Everyone told me I was nuts to drive it there, but I was the guy who had the most fun!  Weather real or a clone we are lucky enough to have one.  There is no reason to be an ass to anyone for any reason.  Before I got the wing I had a very nice 70 Charger R/T V code and was looked down upon by ever hemi owner I met.  Right then and there I told myself that I would never be an ass.  We are a family and let us enjoy our hobby to its up most.  I always tell everyone that the guys who made our cars WERE NOT making something special, it was just a job and we have taken and made them more than they were ever intended to be.   :2thumbs:
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

pettybird

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 20, 2012, 09:48:14 PM
That is My White Daytona clone. To be honest I would rather have My car than a real Superbird. The Daytona does way more for me than a bird. Dont get me wrong Birds are a cool car,just not nearly as cool to me as a "Charger Daytona".

now THERE is where I'm skewed...my first word was 'da da' second was 'beep beep!'

Daytonas are beautiful cars, but if you're going to make an ABSURD vehicle it might as well be covered in cartoons  :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: SBBob on January 20, 2012, 11:29:25 PM
WOW!  I don't know where to start.  I am lucky enough to have a real car.  And anyone who knows me knows that I drive the heck out of it.  From Seattle to the 1999 reunion.  7,500 miles in 2 weeks - IT WAS THE BEST 2 WEEKS OF MY LIFE IN THE CAR WORLD!!!!!!  But when I got there the grief I got was crazy.  Everyone told me I was nuts to drive it there, but I was the guy who had the most fun!  Weather real or a clone we are lucky enough to have one.  There is no reason to be an ass to anyone for any reason.  Before I got the wing I had a very nice 70 Charger R/T V code and was looked down upon by ever hemi owner I met.  Right then and there I told myself that I would never be an ass.  We are a family and let us enjoy our hobby to its up most.  I always tell everyone that the guys who made our cars WERE NOT making something special, it was just a job and we have taken and made them more than they were ever intended to be.   :2thumbs:
bob is one of the good guys! !!!!  And yes thats a real hemi car

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on January 20, 2012, 11:45:20 PM

now THERE is where I'm skewed...my first word was 'da da' second was 'beep beep!'

Daytonas are beautiful cars, but if you're going to make an ABSURD vehicle it might as well be covered in cartoons  :lol:

i love chargers too,  but like u birds had me at beep beep

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: moparstuart on January 21, 2012, 12:35:15 AM
Quote from: pettybird on January 20, 2012, 11:45:20 PM

i love chargers too,  but like u birds had me at beep beep

And Im fine with that. We are all allowed to have our opimions. Its the fact that some people want to cram thiers down others throats thats a problem.

Like the old saying goes, if ya aint got anything good to say " keep it to yourself"
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............