News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

BOBBY ALISON'S DAYTONA

Started by daytonalo, January 22, 2006, 09:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daytonalo

WHAT A BARGAIN , 300.000 FOR HIS RACE CAR , WHAT A DEAL ! LAST WEEK ON E-BAY COTTON OWENS CAR SOLD FOR 800.000 . WHO SAYS ALL B.J'S PRICES ARE INFLATED. EVERYBODY AGREE?

Big Lebowski

Some large amounts of 'Stupid money" are buying these cars. Wow.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

70charginglizard

People just need to keep these kind of things in perspective. These race are a one of a kind historical icon items. Musium pieces.
I'm proud and happy with the fact that I own a car of the equivalent year these were out running around the track at Nascar, but I know damn well that mines not worth the kind of money these cars are bringing in.
As long as people who own these kind of cars keep this state of mind about there worth, then prices wont get so out of control that people new to the hobby will still have the oportunity to someday get envolved in the sport.

am I right?
70charginglizard

65post

I can`t believe someone payed $600 grand for a rebody. Even clones were selling for over $100. And a REAL street daytona went for just $160.Yes there were some deals.
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

Silver R/T

kidna sad too when someones out on street while some rich ass wipes his ass with washington's
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

General Ryan

OH MAN, how I wish I could've bought that car!

Recharger

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 22, 2006, 11:19:59 PM
kidna sad too when someones out on street while some rich ass wipes his ass with washington's
         GO BACK TO RUSSIA!

(You do realize Washington is on the $1, right?)

And to answer your question, Daytonalo, yes seems like a good deal, if a $300K can be called a good deal.  I got the feeling it was more of a Chebby/GM crowd than a Mopar crowd this year.

nascarxx29

That #22 daytona was the car Pat Mc Kinney found and he and his brother restored .Pat is the guy who had owned and supplied the Joe Dirt daytona and blue superbird in gone in 60 seconds.They did a nice restoration on that car .And preserved its racing history.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

I think it was the deal of the show, that or the 440 Daytona that went for $160K. The only two Daytona's at the auction and both brought way less than I anticipated them selling for. I was shocked the Allison car went for $300K. I figured bidding would start around that point and quickly climb.

694spdRT

Quote from: 69_500 on January 23, 2006, 09:33:07 AM
I think it was the deal of the show, that or the 440 Daytona that went for $160K. The only two Daytona's at the auction and both brought way less than I anticipated them selling for. I was shocked the Allison car went for $300K. I figured bidding would start around that point and quickly climb.

With the prices of other cars I figured it would go for a million or better. I heard the barn story on the car but, is there some questionable history that we are not aware of by chance? Relatively speaking I think it was the deal of the week down there.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

69_500

Compared to the price of the Buddy Baker car it would be the deal of the year. Not just that weekend.

Highbanked Hauler

I wonder if the #22 car didn't have the documentation that the #6 car did. That would explain the price difference. :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

69_500

See I don't know, because the Baker car has been in the museum for years,a nd people knew about it. Where as the #22 car was known in the aero car circles but I wonder how many people knew about the car outside of those parties. I mean many people knew of the Daytona in the museum.

Chris G.

Quote from: 694spdRT on January 23, 2006, 09:35:45 AM
With the prices of other cars I figured it would go for a million or better. I heard the barn story on the car but, is there some questionable history that we are not aware of by chance? Relatively speaking I think it was the deal of the week down there.

I'm guessing there's some questionable history. I think it was in pieces when found. It's basically a brand new Daytona. Maybe Dave can confirm?

ps- There's something wrong in the world when an A12 car can stomp on a #'s matching 4spd Daytona. I won't even mention the AAR 'Cudas selling for big dough. Really weird?

67_Dodge_Charger

I think I found a 66 Charger in a barn that was used by so and so.  I will restore it and sell it for 6 catrillion dollarssssssss.   :rotz:

The prices at BJ were higher this year.  A fully restored 440 six pack car sold for $150k+.  A non restored hemi roadrunner went for $115,000 and the buyer looked like a fellow Mopar Nut. 

I wish I had $300k.

-Robert

69_500

yeah I don't undersstand how a A12 car walked all over a true 440 4 speed Daytona at an auction but then again who understands what people are feeling or thinking when they are bidding on a car at an auction?

Charger Aficionado

Did all of these Race Daytonas have the entire front clip made with a Steel Tube Frame?  What about the track 500s?  I've never seen pix of under the hood...

69_500

I'm not sure what the whole front clip was made of on the race cars. But I think that chrysler supplied the race teams with the bodies to use. I don't think they were any street cars that were used and put on a race chasis for Nascar.

Highbanked Hauler

If the site is still up,       www.cottonowens.com/daytona   has about the best pictures I've seen. :yesnod:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Blakcharger440

I remember reading the article that war written about the Allison car. Alot of it didnt make since and didnt really add up about how the car came about,what was left of the original car,and if indeed the basis of the car is infact the real one.

Mike DC

If the rollcage/chassis ever originally wore the body & paint of the racer it's presented as, then I think it's fair to call it an "original" car.  Anything else it retains from the period is a bonus in my mind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can see where the discrepancy comes from, but buyers need to understand that these are not street-car Daytonas we're talking about.  It was NASCAR in the 1960s.  Those race cars changed fenders & engines more often than a street car gets fresh motor oil.  Literally.  Several times more often. 

And it's not like "rebodying" a chassis was something that unscrupulous chop-shops did to an occasional unfortunate car, either.  Rebodying was the preferred & acceptable thing that all teams did to their chassis every 3 years.  It was a normal & expected modification during the life of a race car. 

People just need to understand what they're bidding on & hold those old NASCAR race cars to a different standard.  If they don't get the difference then the the car probably shouldn't be in their hands anyway.  Finding all original outer sheetmetal on a NASCAR is nice, but so is finding an original street car with its original motor oil.  It's unrealistic to make that the benchmark.

Dodge-Charger

I wounder what a polaroid of him with his sig. is worth. Its about 25 years old. ( not that Id sell it )

Ghoste

I think a lot of those cars did in fact have the tube front end.  That made changing the year as simple as changing the front clip for a new season.
As for the museum pieces, there ain't no clones that should be going for museum piece rates.  Rebodied cars either for that matter.  Rebodies are just clones with illegal vins on them really.
The Bobby Allison car just isn't as famous to many of the people there paying foolish money.  They would know the Richard Petty cars and  K&K but Allison?  Look at what someone paid for that Ray Allen car.

69_500

I agree, if it was say Petty's Superbird from 1970 any guesses on how high that one would have went? What if it was say Brickhouses car from 1970? which one would go for a higher amount? Petty's obviously because he is more known.
But I think that Allison is a very well known driver too, and I just don't get why his car didn't command a premium at that type of auction. Other than I didn't see to many people there that appeared to be people that were brought up on NASCAR. Looked like a bunch of people who prefer Formula 1.

Ghoste

You nailed it, well known in NASCAR.  I think a lot of those folks have gotten most of thier Mopar knowledge from the last few issues of Mopar Muscle, Fortune 500, and The Wall Street Journal.