News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Lanyard length on a Bird

Started by FJ5WING, January 18, 2012, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ5WING

Not to distract from the "Clone Wars" thread but if someone out there knows the original length of the lanyards for a Bird could you pass it along?  :2thumbs: Im not sure if it's the 23's I have or if its the 25's?  :scratchchin:

TIA!!

My car didnt have any cables and in fact was sportin some pretty nifty Ford pins. :nana:
wingless now, but still around.

nascarxx29

#3549611 was the hood lock package for the Superbird. Jims Reference original Superbird on the mopar action link may have the cable lenghts
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,77907.0.html

Had these from my old daytona part number #3549611 for the daytona and superbird parts book description lock package.With similar instructions shown above
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Aero426

moparstuart

Quote from: FJ5WING on January 18, 2012, 11:31:06 AM
Not to distract from the "Clone Wars" thread but if someone out there knows the original length of the lanyards for a Bird could you pass it along?  :2thumbs: Im not sure if it's the 23's I have or if its the 25's?  :scratchchin:

TIA!!

My car didnt have any cables and in fact was sportin some pretty nifty Ford pins. :nana:
"The Clone Wars "  George Lucas May sue    :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

Those Ford pins are a lot better than the Oldsmobile hood locks I've seen!

oldcarnut

I have read many different conflicting posts and parts sales sites so what's the consensus?  23" or 25"    I ordered a 23 today and the supplier said no its 25 and swapped it out.

odcics2

I have one NOS. I can look for it and let you all know...
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Mopar John

If you go to my EK2 Superbird restoration thread and find the reply dated December 31st 2016
you will see the original 23 inch lanyards from my Superbird with one blackened end on each!
There is also a bunch of other lanyard info and pictures.
MJ

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on February 21, 2018, 08:05:22 PM
If you go to my EK2 Superbird restoration thread and find the reply dated December 31st 2016
you will see the original 23 inch lanyards from my Superbird with one blackened end on each!
MJ

Yes, the one I have has the blackened end AND the 4 sided crimp!

oldcarnut

Thanks guys  :cheers:, I replied to the vender and asked them to repack the 23" cables.  I don't mean to get off track on the thread but John I read through some of your pages for a good read.  I looked at the qtr placement decals over the reflectors.  The P started at the inside end on one side and the other had the h almost over the length of the reflector.  That's another area I keep seeing various info/pics of.  I think I can safely assume considering your detail and awards that's the way to install it correctly for me to reference.   :2thumbs:

Mopar John

oldcarnut,
I would like to thank you for the comments about my Superbird restoration.
The hood pin lanyards is a painful topic for me as it was an item that I lost points on in the intense judging at Carlisle in 2016!
I had my worn originals in a box of hood pin stuff that I should have been able to go by.
The first set of NOS correct length lanyards that I had on the Superbird were the superceded ones with 6 sided crimps.
On the Superbird now are the correct length and correct 4 sided crimps but still don't have the one end black like the assembly line!
What I want to say here is that WE need to CHERISH every original surviving Superbird left so we have something to go by.
When I bought mine in 1976 it was BEAT!
Then I got it and the most important thing for me was to get the timing right of when the two outside carbs came in and manually shift the 727 into second and boil the tires!!
I had my fun and have grown up a bit but still love power and speed!
It's funny how you mention the PLYMOUTH quarter panel decals.
My Superbird was supposed to come with black quarter panel decals according to factory paperwork but it didn't!
There is also factory paperwork out there as to where the decals belong but not every assembly line person got it right!
I assume there are original cars with some variation so if you go by what it's supposed to be is safe.
Again the judging at Carlisle was intense and the 3 judges didn't tell me much.
But what I saw and found out I have been trying to fix since.
I have not posted about this over on the Superbird post yet but just this weekend I traded my June 10th 1970 "450" spare wheel for an October 14th 1969 "450" wheel!
How many shows have you gone to where the judges look at the date code on the wheel, the date code on the tire and what brand valve stem is in the wheel?
When I get my October 14th 1969 wheel back painted from Troy Angelly I'll post about it.
The big deal here is you can't have a spare wheel that was made AFTER the car was built.
I threw the original away after driving to Talladega in 1988 and having 2 flats and running that black wheel.
I went out and bought a 5th rally wheel and scrapped a very valuable "450" wheel and couldn't find a correct date one in time for the judging but have it now!
MJ

odcics2

Quote from: odcics2 on February 21, 2018, 09:08:24 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on February 21, 2018, 08:05:22 PM
MJ

Yes, the one I have has the blackened end AND the 4 sided crimp!

Measured it and it's 23" on the hole centers.   Anybody need just one?? :shruggy: