News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another General Lee (nice one)

Started by SuperJim, January 20, 2012, 12:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvrbdn

the detail is incredible. even where the chrome pieces would fit together. :drool5:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

jwramc

Here ya go to see that chrome parts fit up close. :)
John

jwramc

Quote from: jwramc on April 03, 2012, 06:44:29 AM
These are now landing in the hands of folks that pre-ordered. ...
BTW, for the conspiracy theorists, the cars are packed with a "cover" concealing the roof flag. This was done to protect the flag from rub damage caused by the clear plastic straps.

Long time, no update here as well.

Big news regarding these (which released in April):

1- They all arrived wearing some fairly thin paint. The Chinese factory cheaped-out on that, which caused the high-edges of the car to look grayish thru the thin paint. That factory has now been cut loose, and a better one will do AW's Chargers from now on.

2- What I dismissed as a conspiracy theory turns out to be true after all. Seems that NASCAR event that dissed a General Lee replica from the proceedings early this year was indeed due to PC concerns by Warner Brothers. The same issue almost stopped the Knoxville DOH movie from being made several years ago. Seems WB is less and less comfy with displaying the flag... so much so, that when this diecast was released in April, it did so with the flag hidden under an orange cover (which I naively assumed was to protect the flag tampo).

And it's now gotten even WORSE. Warner Bros has now made it policy: They will NOT allow ANY product to be licensed if it contains the Confederate Flag on the item or the box art. PERIOD. This is not the choice of the product makers. This is the STUDIO forcing the issue. This has the immediate effect of the following:

a- The upcoming Hazzard Sherriff Monaco (Roscoe's car) will have the corrected light bar on top... but the front tag will NOT be a flag anymore. The box art will also be altered to remove the flag entirely. Not a huge loss...and certainly easily fixed. But...

b- Unless and until WB pulls their collective heads out of their collective butts, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WILL BE PRODUCED that features the General Lee with the rooftop flag from now on. And since nobody is going to buy a Lee without its flag, nobody is going to make them... so the General Lee as an officially licensed product is officially DEAD.

If you want the best General Lee diecast made... and the LAST to be made, you'll have to find and grab a copy of the April release by AutoWorld. No more will be coming in the future, it seems.  :flame:

The really strange thing in all this is that *I* am unaware of anyone or any group that has petitioned or complained to WB about the use of the flag in context related to DOH. Sure, folks piss about it in other situations for reasons both ridiculous and valid. But as it pertains to DOH, who ever bitched about the General wearing it??? So I'm stumped completely about why WB is so wigged-out on this matter.

John

SuperJim

We have re-ordered stock for our shelves about a month ago, as these possible "last ones" have been selling due to this latest news. In fact I'm re-ordering again as a dealer from Canada about wiped me out. Crappy news...
Jim
Supercar Collectibles, Ltd.
http://www.supercar1.com/index.php

Mike DC

Well, it was a matter of time before the GL lost the battle with political correctness over the flag.  It was gonna happen eventually. 

I wonder if some kind of compromise could be reached.  Like maybe WB advertises and packages the General Lee toys with blank roofs, and there is a supplied "optional" roof decal that the customer can install themselves.  The 1/25th plastic GL models have been done that way for the last decade. 

Ghoste

Stupidity like that makes me want to do a GL.  I HATE political correctness.

Mike DC

Is the situation firm now?  No more of these 1:18th GLs will be made?  Or are they gonna try to sell more of them without the flag before calling it quits?  

It does bode pretty badly for the future of the car (and franchise).  It's only a short jump from there to say that the "General Lee" name itself is glorifying the wrong team too.

jwramc

As I understand it, WB is only saying no flag, period. If a manufacturer wants to pay for a license and risk making the car minus the flag in the hope someone will buy them, WB won't stop them...cuz they get paid up front. I don't imagine any manufacturer is going to take such a risk, certainly not on higher price items. Someone might buy a $10 cheapy as a gag gift for a pal, but who's gonna dump $80 for the General without its flag? I don't see it happening, and *I* wouldn't risk it.
John

C500

Great looking diecast here, I will definitely be getting one  :2thumbs: .

From what I can see - and correct me if I'm wrong - this Autoworlds version here is more "correct" that any other 1:18 Generals before it, but does not have as much detail as the Authentics series?

When ordering the General, how do I check if I'm getting the first batch with the thin paint or the second batch improved on that? 

How many are Autoworld producing of this version?  :shruggy:

I would love to see a 77 Dodge Monaco Dukes patrol car in 1:18 diecast  :coolgleamA:

Duncan
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

jwramc

Quote from: C500 on August 26, 2012, 03:07:54 AM

From what I can see - and correct me if I'm wrong - this Autoworlds version here is more "correct" that any other 1:18 Generals before it, but does not have as much detail as the Authentics series?

This car *IS* an Authentics model, and is the most correct car so far (and perhaps always will be).

QuoteWhen ordering the General, how do I check if I'm getting the first batch with the thin paint or the second batch improved on that? 

There is no second batch. This last release all got the thin paint.

QuoteHow many are Autoworld producing of this version?  :shruggy:

I'm not certain...never did get a total number.

QuoteI would love to see a 77 Dodge Monaco Dukes patrol car in 1:18 diecast  :coolgleamA:

Duncan

I personally don't see that happening for a long time.
John

C500

Quote from: jwramc on August 27, 2012, 07:25:57 AM
Quote from: C500 on August 26, 2012, 03:07:54 AM

This car *IS* an Authentics model, and is the most correct car so far (and perhaps always will be).

QuoteWhen ordering the General, how do I check if I'm getting the first batch with the thin paint or the second batch improved on that? 

There is no second batch. This last release all got the thin paint.

QuoteHow many are Autoworld producing of this version?  :shruggy:

I'm not certain...never did get a total number.

QuoteI would love to see a 77 Dodge Monaco Dukes patrol car in 1:18 diecast  :coolgleamA:

Duncan

I personally don't see that happening for a long time.

:2thumbs:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Cooperman

From Ben 'Cooter' Jones' Facebook page...

QuoteHAZZARD NATION SPEAKS FROM THE HEART AND WARNER BROS LISTENS

Hey Y'all,

Today something extraordinary happened. Warner Bros. listened to the fans of "The Dukes of Hazzard". And we should thank them for that.

There were reliable and verifiable reports from WB car licensees with whom we do business that as of January 1, 2013, the Confederate Banner on top of the General Lee would be removed because some people "found it offensive." Hazzard Nation found the very idea of such political correctness invading Hazzard County to be so narrow-minded and insulting that we took to the internet, to the press, and to WB Licensing to let them know how we felt.

Two days ago, this was a done deal. Yesterday, a WB spokesman talking to NBC/Today.com said that this was a "maybe we will", "maybe we won't" situation. This afternoon, The Associated Press reported that WB is now saying that all these reports are "inaccurate" and that there are no plans to remove the flag.

In a poll on today.com this afternoon, over 12,000 people had voted for the flag to stay, and less than one/tenth that many voted to remove it. That, plus the positive support we directed by e-mail to WB licensing obviously changed some minds.

This is not only a victory for those who love the show, but a victory for the voice of the people, and in my opinion, a victory for mutual respect among people of different ethnicities and backgrounds. We should now be gracious and thank the folks at Warner Bros. for changing this misguided policy. Perhaps they will listen to the fans when they produce "Dukes, The Next Generation"! Wouldn't that be great?

Anyhow, somewhere up above, Denver Pyle and Sorrell Booke are sharing a big smile.

Thanks, y'all. This was big. We won!

Ben Jones
aka "Cooter"
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

jwramc

Now we wait to see the proof in the pudding. :)
John

C500

Received mine today. Very happy with the quality and detail.

JB400

It's nice to know that there are people that don't want to change a good thing.  Too bad there ain't enough of them in higher places.